NP-41 Emulator (may be)
04-14-2016, 12:42 PM (This post was last modified: 04-14-2016 01:10 PM by Harald.)
RE: NP-41 Emulator (may be)
(04-13-2016 04:58 PM)Chris Chung Wrote:  Hi Harald,

The flashing command is different from the NP41s, it is because the programming device is different.

mspdebug tilib "prog np41.hex"

If you are using a new launchpad, mspdebug may complain and ask you to re-flash new firmware for the program. You can follow the instruction to re-flash the Launchpad and continue w/ the programming to the unit.

Success!!!!

[Image: np41lzkhk.jpg]

Thanks for the instructions and updating the hex file! So far I have not tried to use your bootloader. I'll try and find the time to play with my new toy soon Smile

Thanks for all your efforts Chris!

Cheers,
Harald

Edit:
Not sure if anyone commented already, but I just noticed the alpha legends on row 3 and 4 are not correct. K,L,M needs to move one key to the left, and so does O and P.
Nothing a white edding couldn't fix though Smile
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-14-2016, 04:43 PM
(04-14-2016 12:42 PM)Harald Wrote:  Success!!!!

Thanks for the instructions and updating the hex file! So far I have not tried to use your bootloader. I'll try and find the time to play with my new toy soon Smile

Thanks for all your efforts Chris!

Cheers,
Harald

Edit:
Not sure if anyone commented already, but I just noticed the alpha legends on row 3 and 4 are not correct. K,L,M needs to move one key to the left, and so does O and P.
Nothing a white edding couldn't fix though Smile

Congrats!! The keypad prints are off on 2 of the rows. Also the fact that I miss 2 traces on the back. I can re-do just the keyboard PCB and since it's within 100mm x 100mm, it will cost <$20 + $10 shipping to get 10 PCBs manufactured. I guess this is the advantage of using two PCBs.

Your photo seems to show the LCD contrast a bit off. You can turn the unit off, turn it back on while pressing "SST", and use "+" and "-" keys to adjust the contrast / bias voltage.

I had given you my old case, w/ the corner mis-formed and also the PCBs "sinks" into the case. If you wish, you can go to http://www.tinkercad.com and search for "NP41 Case", I had made it public so you can tinker w/ it and order a print (locally in your area) via 3dhubs.com. It should cost about $20.

This is very encouraging. Let me know what you think for improvements.
04-14-2016, 06:48 PM
(04-14-2016 04:43 PM)Chris Chung Wrote:  Congrats!! The keypad prints are off on 2 of the rows. Also the fact that I miss 2 traces on the back. I can re-do just the keyboard PCB and since it's within 100mm x 100mm, it will cost <$20 + $10 shipping to get 10 PCBs manufactured. I guess this is the advantage of using two PCBs.

Your photo seems to show the LCD contrast a bit off. You can turn the unit off, turn it back on while pressing "SST", and use "+" and "-" keys to adjust the contrast / bias voltage.

I had given you my old case, w/ the corner mis-formed and also the PCBs "sinks" into the case. If you wish, you can go to http://www.tinkercad.com and search for "NP41 Case", I had made it public so you can tinker w/ it and order a print (locally in your area) via 3dhubs.com. It should cost about $20.

Thanks for the hint about the contrast. It appears there are several,other parameters that can be adjusted, too. At first I had trouble leaving that mode, but then somehow managed. Contrast is better now, but I needed the second lowest setting (on the lowest the display goes blank)

So far I noticed two strange things:

1) using a cat command, the last digit sometimes shows eratic segments while the the calculator displays the catalog.

2) when the calculator has been turned off for a while and then is turned back on, a lot of segments come on that shouldn't. They then fade within a couple of seconds. Is that maybe to do with the charge pump?

I'll continue observing...

Cheers,
Harald
04-14-2016, 07:55 PM
(04-14-2016 06:48 PM)Harald Wrote:  
(04-14-2016 04:43 PM)Chris Chung Wrote:  Congrats!! The keypad prints are off on 2 of the rows. Also the fact that I miss 2 traces on the back. I can re-do just the keyboard PCB and since it's within 100mm x 100mm, it will cost <$20 + $10 shipping to get 10 PCBs manufactured. I guess this is the advantage of using two PCBs.

Thanks for the hint about the contrast. It appears there are several,other parameters that can be adjusted, too. At first I had trouble leaving that mode, but then somehow managed. Contrast is better now, but I needed the second lowest setting (on the lowest the display goes blank)

So far I noticed two strange things:

1) using a cat command, the last digit sometimes shows eratic segments while the the calculator displays the catalog.

2) when the calculator has been turned off for a while and then is turned back on, a lot of segments come on that shouldn't. They then fade within a couple of seconds. Is that maybe to do with the charge pump?

I'll continue observing...

Cheers,
Harald
Currently the setup has only the '+' and '-' keys for contrast adjustment. To exit the setup, you need to press "CLX" a couple of times.

1) The ghosting is actually caused by the way the emulation CPU instructs the display for updates. I would thought that it also exists on the original HP-41, again it could also be my implementation did not synchronize w/ the emulated CPU properly. I did not pay attention to CPU timing (emulator), you may want to check the speed compare w/ a HP-41. We are running at 8Mhz right now. I will make available speed steps in the future, it can go to 16 and 24Mhz.

2) I do not experience the same. It is true that upon return from sleep you can see a faint light-up on all the segments when you view it in an angel, but it does not goes away. I don't think it's avoidable. With proper contrast setting it is minimal (on my unit). I am actually quite satisfy w/ the LCD now w/ the charge pump. If it persist on your unit, try to take a couple of photos and I can try and think about what could be causing it. Only thing I can think of is the charge pump capacitor.
04-14-2016, 10:20 PM (This post was last modified: 04-14-2016 10:36 PM by Harald.)
Here is a video of the calculator being turned on:

04-15-2016, 12:06 PM
This definitely looks like the charge pump is taking the time to charge up to the required voltage. It did not happened on my setup.

I had re-read the datasheet for the FR6869 device. I think if you have parts, you can try to replace the LCD CAP 4.7uF w/ 10uF. I am not sure what I was using on my unit, it may as well be 10uF. But for the kit I assembled for you I had put a 4.7uF as this is the "normal" value recommended on the datasheet. OTOH in the same document, when mentioning low power LCD supply currents, the setup for measuring used is w/ a 10uF CAP.

If you are interested the datasheet can be found here.

I hope you are able to resolve this. Another option is to apply a half second delay before updating the segments during power on. As a matter of fact, many code example I encounter does this.
04-15-2016, 12:25 PM
(04-15-2016 12:06 PM)Chris Chung Wrote:  This definitely looks like the charge pump is taking the time to charge up to the required voltage. It did not happened on my setup.

I had re-read the datasheet for the FR6869 device. I think if you have parts, you can try to replace the LCD CAP 4.7uF w/ 10uF. I am not sure what I was using on my unit, it may as well be 10uF. But for the kit I assembled for you I had put a 4.7uF as this is the "normal" value recommended on the datasheet. OTOH in the same document, when mentioning low power LCD supply currents, the setup for measuring used is w/ a 10uF CAP.

If you are interested the datasheet can be found here.

I hope you are able to resolve this. Another option is to apply a half second delay before updating the segments during power on. As a matter of fact, many code example I encounter does this.

I have the feeling this might be related to a bad battery. I'll investigate...
04-18-2016, 02:21 PM
Here are a couple of observations:

So far I have no news on the display powerup problem. It is nothing to do with the battery. When powerd from a power supply the calculator behaves exactly the same.

Which brings me to the next observation. Current consumption. While turned on the NP41 consumes 1.25mA. Strangely that reduces to 1mA while running a program. Both are good values in my opinion.
However power off consumtion ist at 250µA. Assuming a CR2032 has a capacity of about 200mAh it will be draind in about a month. The MSP430 should be able to do much better in deep sleep.

Shutdown time is rather short compared to my HP41C. I think the NP41 would benefit from making this significantly longer. I can measure times later so we have a propper basis for discussion.

And finaly, timing a simple prime factorisation program, the NP41 is slighly faster than the original. The HP41C takes about 50% longer to finish.

Overall I have not found any serious flaws with the NP41. Thanks for this fantastic project Chris!!

Harald
04-18-2016, 02:59 PM
(04-18-2016 02:21 PM)Harald Wrote:  Here are a couple of observations:

So far I have no news on the display powerup problem. It is nothing to do with the battery. When powerd from a power supply the calculator behaves exactly the same.

Which brings me to the next observation. Current consumption. While turned on the NP41 consumes 1.25mA. Strangely that reduces to 1mA while running a program. Both are good values in my opinion.
However power off consumtion ist at 250µA. Assuming a CR2032 has a capacity of about 200mAh it will be draind in about a month. The MSP430 should be able to do much better in deep sleep.

Shutdown time is rather short compared to my HP41C. I think the NP41 would benefit from making this significantly longer. I can measure times later so we have a propper basis for discussion.

And finaly, timing a simple prime factorisation program, the NP41 is slighly faster than the original. The HP41C takes about 50% longer to finish.

Overall I have not found any serious flaws with the NP41. Thanks for this fantastic project Chris!!

Harald

For the LCD startup ghosting, I really don't have any idea as it never occur to my builds. I can only speculate on the charge pump CAP. The SMD caps are so tiny and there are no labels, etc. I might even have mixed up and sent you a wrong value. If you are able to check it and may be try a higher value.

I hooked up my meter and can confirmed that the sleep is consuming 260uA, which is way too much. I would expect it to be 1-2uA as we are using the LCD driver is a internal peripheral. I will look into it. I might as well be like the NP41s where I forgot to turn off some peripheral.

The auto-off time will be make configurable. Currently it should be 60 seconds.

Thanks for your time commenting on the unit.
04-18-2016, 06:42 PM
Hello Harald,

I had reduced the sleeping power to about 3uA. I had missed 1) a port 10 and port J GPIO setup, and 2) key scanning timer not not completely shut off.

You can get the latest firmware from my shared drive to stop the battery drain. The file names are the same.

The excessive active (and idle) power is due to the fact that I had not implement sleep to the main state loop. I will do that later.
04-19-2016, 01:57 AM
Hello Chris,

Sorry for not coming back sooner.

First, I do not have a Windows PC, I use a MacBook Pro running OSX v10.11 64 bits with Parallels v11 and a Windows 7 32 bits in a VM.
I have spent the last 2 hours trying unsuccessfully to update the unit and now I have fried my unit. 8-(
I was working on a antistatic mat with a grounded bracelet at all time

This is what I did ...
a) I have downloaded and installed the mspdebug-0.23-win32-signed.zip software
b) I have downloaded your firmwares
c) I have tried to use the command -> mspdebug rf2500 "prog np41.hex" but the software is not seeing the MSP430 through the USB port
d) mspdebug --usb-list return nothing
e) I then registered myself on TI website and downloaded the dev kit (msp430.dll_developer_package_rev_3.07.000.012.zip)
f) I then installed the VCP drivers and Windows now sees the MSP430 unit as COM7
g) mspdebug --usb-list still return nothing (as expected)
h) mspdebug rf2500 "prog np41.hex" still not working (as expected)
i) I then downloaded and installed the "Realterm_2.0.0.70_Signed_Wrapper_setup.exe" software
j) started RealTerm and he sees the COM7 with 9600,n,8,1
k) I have tried to go into the bootloader as instructed and tried multiple things (no battery)
-> physically disconnect/reconnect the USB cable with user key pressed (several times, never worked)
-> virtually disconnect/reconnect the USB cable with user key pressed (several times, never worked)
-> physically disconnect/reconnect the 6 pins cable from the calculator (once, this is what killed the unit)
L) Then I tried to insert a new battery but there is no response anymore

That was short!!

Best regards,

Sylvain
04-19-2016, 07:51 AM
(04-19-2016 01:57 AM)Sylvain Cote Wrote:  Hello Chris,

First, I do not have a Windows PC, I use a MacBook Pro running OSX v10.11 64 bits with Parallels v11 and a Windows 7 32 bits in a VM.
I have spent the last 2 hours trying unsuccessfully to update the unit and now I have fried my unit. 8-(

This is what I did ...
c) I have tried to use the command -> mspdebug rf2500 "prog np41.hex" but the software is not seeing the MSP430 through the USB port
e) I then registered myself on TI website and downloaded the dev kit (msp430.dll_developer_package_rev_3.07.000.012.zip)
f) I then installed the VCP drivers and Windows now sees the MSP430 unit as COM7
i) I then downloaded and installed the "Realterm_2.0.0.70_Signed_Wrapper_setup.exe" software
k) I have tried to go into the bootloader as instructed and tried multiple things (no battery)
-> physically disconnect/reconnect the USB cable with user key pressed (several times, never worked)
-> virtually disconnect/reconnect the USB cable with user key pressed (several times, never worked)
-> physically disconnect/reconnect the 6 pins cable from the calculator (once, this is what killed the unit)

That was short!!

Best regards,

Sylvain

Do you have an NP41 or an NP41S?

To me it looks like you downloaded the firmware for the NP41 and used the flash command for the NP41S.
04-19-2016, 10:40 AM
(04-19-2016 07:51 AM)Harald Wrote:  Do you have an NP41 or an NP41S?

(04-04-2016 01:05 PM)Chris Chung Wrote:  I had offered Sylvain a "refurbished" (salvaged LCD from the V0 board and combined w/ the V1 board) unit last week as my LCD modules are not arriving.

(04-19-2016 07:51 AM)Harald Wrote:  To me it looks like you downloaded the firmware for the NP41 and used the flash command for the NP41S.

(04-08-2016 02:39 PM)Chris Chung Wrote:  Instructions for load new firmware, NP41S
Mainly for Sylvain. There are a few different ways to do this. I will explain the most simple one.
6. run the following command
mspdebug rf2500 "prog np41.hex"

Some recap ...
-> mspdebug with rf2500 option only works on USB
-> mspdebug need low level access to USB chip to works which it cannot in my setup
-> I was never able to access the mini-console mode

Although it is always possible that I somehow erased the internal flash of the unit, I doubt it, but then again, I am not the expert on this unit here.

Best regards,

Sylvain
04-19-2016, 02:29 PM
(04-19-2016 01:57 AM)Sylvain Cote Wrote:  Hello Chris,

This is what I did ...

That was short!!

Best regards,

Sylvain
Hi Sylvian,

First of all, thanks for taking the time to try the unit out. We are geographically close enough that I can swap your unit quickly if we can't find a way to revive it. The new boards are on transit now.

I am not sure about VMing a windows image on an OSX, I had never own an Apple before (except the Apple Newton), but if it's windows on Linux, I already have trouble w/ the USBs.

If it appears that your unit has been "bricked", there can be two reasons. 1) bootloader lost power during critical section, where reset vectors are being written. 2) my bad soldering on SMD parts. 1) is not likely in my opinions as the critical sections is only 1 few tenths cycles wide and it doesn't look like the firmware download started. 2) is more likely as I had another failed unit w/ me right now.

There are several uncertainties to check out on why it doesn't work, despite the fact that your unit may have a h/w defect.

mspdebug w/ TI Launchpad G2
It appears that mspdebug never sees the LaunchPad. As when you do the --usb-list, it should show

Code:
chrisc@SW20101105A:~/ez430/breadboard_collections > mspdebug --usb-list
Devices on bus 000:
    000:000 0451:f432 eZ430-RF2500 [serial: 05FF4225A5103B56]

Also the need to download and install from TI the msp430.dll is not needed for the NP-41s, the LaunchPad G2 is very old and does not have programmer firmware upgrade capabilities. The msp430.dll is needed for Harald to program the NP-41 as the programming command is "prog tilib", instead of the "prog rf2500". So I believe although we can see a COM7:, mspdebug does not see the programmer. We can check windows "devices and printer" and the device should appears like so;

Now that I look at it, you may need to install "libusb" to get mspdebug to see the device. I forgot to mention it as I had libusb all along on my system and didn't thought of it.

If you want to try this and get mspdebug to see the device, re-attaching the unit via the Launchpad and just run "mspdebug rf2500" will allow us to see whether the unit has hardware failed (if mspdebug sees the launchpad device but failed to see the chip msp430g2955) or not (if mspdebug sees the chip, it will report the chip type, etc).

If it is not a hardware fail, the unit can be revive by re-programming w/ "prog hp41s-xxxx.hex"

Serial port / bootloader

We should also do quick testing to determine this COM7: is operational or not. By plugging and unplugging the Launchpad, do we see this COM7: come and go? This will confirm COM7: is indeed tied to the launchpad and is not a virtual / fake port.

If so, we can jumper short the Tx and Rx lines (i.e. 2 of the 6 wire jumpers) w/ metal tweezers, bobbin pins, etc. And w/ realterm opening the port, typing something should have your characters echo back. This way we can confirm that the serial channel (via the launchpad) is operational.

Re-attaching the unit to the launchpad. Unplug and re-plug the usb cable while holding the "User" key should get us into the bootloader mode. Pressing "@" key via Real-term should trigger the "@>" prompt for download. Of course if the unit hardware had failed, there would be no response.

Next Steps

I would suggest you don't put much thoughts on the unit as I will be able to swap it in a few weeks time. If you are interested and have time, you may want to try the above to see if the unit was bricked or just failed. The final product need to be re-programmed via the uart bootloader anyway. There should be some uart dongles that OSX can use and we should be using those, plus need to find a terminal program that can do binary downloads under OSX.
04-20-2016, 09:07 AM
Hi Chris,

I have flashed the new firmware and can confirm standby power consumtion is now down to about 1 to 2 µA. Much better! Thanks for the super fast update!

Also, I haven't seen the power on problem anymore. Have you changed anything else? I have checked the cap and it has a capacity of about 5µF so I did not change it. So the hardware is exactly as it was.

Cheers,
Harald
04-20-2016, 12:02 PM
(04-19-2016 02:29 PM)Chris Chung Wrote:  First of all, thanks for taking the time to try the unit out.

I do not have a lot of free time at the moment, but I will do my best to help you as much as I can.
It may take some time before I can reply or test your suggestions though.

(04-19-2016 02:29 PM)Chris Chung Wrote:  I am not sure about VMing a windows image on an OSX, I had never own an Apple before (except the Apple Newton), but if it's windows on Linux, I already have trouble w/ the USBs.

Except for the low-level (Mach) kernel stuff, OSX is BSD.
Of course there are a lot of things that are different outside the OS part (bootloader, gui, etc)
Fortunately, MacPort have port most of the GNU utilities and also X can be installed.

(04-19-2016 02:29 PM)Chris Chung Wrote:  mspdebug w/ TI Launchpad G2
It appears that mspdebug never sees the LaunchPad. As when you do the --usb-list, it should show

Code:
mspdebug --usb-list
Devices on bus 000:
    000:000 0451:f432 eZ430-RF2500 [serial: 05FF4225A5103B56]

You are right, like I said in the previous port, mspdebug need low level access to USB and because it's virtualized it cannot.
So, the --usb-list command returns nothing under Devices on bus 000:
And this is true on both Parallels v11 and VMware Fusion v8.1 environments.

(04-19-2016 02:29 PM)Chris Chung Wrote:  Also the need to download and install from TI the msp430.dll is not needed for the NP-41s, the LaunchPad G2 is very old and does not have programmer firmware upgrade capabilities. The msp430.dll is needed for Harald to program the NP-41 as the programming command is "prog tilib", instead of the "prog rf2500". So I believe although we can see a COM7:, mspdebug does not see the programmer. We can check windows "devices and printer" and the device should appears like so;

Now that I look at it, you may need to install "libusb" to get mspdebug to see the device. I forgot to mention it as I had libusb all along on my system and didn't thought of it.

OK, libusb is absolutely needed, after libusb was installed, everything started to work

Code:
c:\HPCalc\NP41>mspdebug rf2500 "prog np41.hex"
MSPDebug version 0.23 - debugging tool for MSP430 MCUs
Copyright (C) 2009-2015 Daniel Beer <dlbeer@gmail.com>
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There is NO
warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
Chip info database from MSP430.dll v3.3.1.4 Copyright (C) 2013 TI, Inc.

Trying to open interface 1 on \\.\libusb0-0001--0x0451-0xf432
Initializing FET...
FET protocol version is 30394216
Set Vcc: 3000 mV
Configured for Spy-Bi-Wire
Device ID: 0x2955
fet: unknown device
msg28_data: [0x1a bytes]
    29 55 00 a0 00 00 00 00 00 00 02 02 01 00 2a f7
    00 00 89 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Using Olimex identification procedure
  Code start address: 0x2100
  Code size         : 57088 byte = 55 kb
  RAM  start address: 0x1100
  RAM  end   address: 0x20ff
  RAM  size         : 4096 byte = 4 kb
Device: MSP430G2955
Number of breakpoints: 2
fet: FET returned NAK
warning: device does not support power profiling
Chip ID data: 29 55
Erasing...
Programming...
Writing 4096 bytes at 4400...
Writing 4096 bytes at 5400...
Writing 4096 bytes at 6400...
Writing 4096 bytes at 7400...
Writing 4096 bytes at 8400...
Writing 4096 bytes at 9400...
Writing 4096 bytes at a400...
Writing  356 bytes at b400...
Writing  320 bytes at fc00...
Writing    2 bytes at ffca...
Writing    2 bytes at ffda...
Writing    2 bytes at ffe8...
Writing    2 bytes at ffee...
Writing    2 bytes at fffe...
Writing    2 bytes at fdfe...
Done, 29360 bytes total

If I understand correctly, the Launchpad is now able to reprogram the flash either directly or through the microcontroller.

But the unit is still not working, at least from the user perspective (LCD dead, no sound feedback)

I need to leave for work, I will do more testing tonight.

Best regards,

Sylvain
04-20-2016, 03:32 PM
(04-20-2016 12:02 PM)Sylvain Cote Wrote:  OK, libusb is absolutely needed, after libusb was installed, everything started to work

Code:
c:\HPCalc\NP41>mspdebug rf2500 "prog np41.hex"
MSPDebug version 0.23 - debugging tool for MSP430 MCUs
Copyright (C) 2009-2015 Daniel Beer <dlbeer@gmail.com>
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There is NO
warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
Chip info database from MSP430.dll v3.3.1.4 Copyright (C) 2013 TI, Inc.

Trying to open interface 1 on \\.\libusb0-0001--0x0451-0xf432
Initializing FET...
FET protocol version is 30394216
Set Vcc: 3000 mV
Configured for Spy-Bi-Wire
fet: unknown device
msg28_data: [0x1a bytes]
    29 55 00 a0 00 00 00 00 00 00 02 02 01 00 2a f7
    00 00 89 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Using Olimex identification procedure
  Code start address: 0x2100
  Code size         : 57088 byte = 55 kb
  RAM  start address: 0x1100
  RAM  end   address: 0x20ff
  RAM  size         : 4096 byte = 4 kb
Device: MSP430G2955
Number of breakpoints: 2
fet: FET returned NAK
warning: device does not support power profiling
Chip ID data: 29 55
Erasing...
Programming...
Writing 4096 bytes at 4400...
Writing 4096 bytes at 5400...
Writing 4096 bytes at 6400...
Writing 4096 bytes at 7400...
Writing 4096 bytes at 8400...
Writing 4096 bytes at 9400...
Writing 4096 bytes at a400...
Writing  356 bytes at b400...
Writing  320 bytes at fc00...
Writing    2 bytes at ffca...
Writing    2 bytes at ffda...
Writing    2 bytes at ffe8...
Writing    2 bytes at ffee...
Writing    2 bytes at fffe...
Writing    2 bytes at fdfe...
Done, 29360 bytes total

If I understand correctly, the Launchpad is now able to reprogram the flash either directly or through the microcontroller.

But the unit is still not working, at least from the user perspective (LCD dead, no sound feedback)

I need to leave for work, I will do more testing tonight.

Best regards,

Sylvain

Hi Sylvain,

It appears that the SBW programming via the Launchpad is successful. The fact that the LCD did not show up should be caused by H/W failures. My other unit had the same fade after I added the serial flash, SD card holder and other addons. This version of PCB was not well thought and the sharing of a number of SPI bus lines may have caused the firmware to held up / SPI failing.

Don't worry about it now. When the new board comes, I will be able to create a unit to swap w/ you for further testing. The new PCB had the serial flash and SD card eliminated and should be more reliable. Anyway my serial flash experiment did not work and I do not plan to pursue it at this moment.

It appears that the NP41 unit (14 segment) is more reliable and the fact it is more simple (less parts, capacitors, etc). Only problem is it's harder to solder.
05-12-2016, 02:14 PM
Just a brief update as I am quite busy on other things lately.

I received the next batch of PCBs and had constructed 3 units of NP41s (I had only 3 LCD modules left). There is a missed "Shift" label on the PCB.

With the failures of the prototyping units, I had spent a few days on these and I hope they will be more reliable. I had sent out 2 replacement units to Etienne (his V1 unit was DOA due to poor packaging) and Sylvian.

The new design is more clean and the H/W should be more reliable. However one of the units (my unit) had charge pump failure (part of the LCD module) and I had to re-flow the capacitors twice to fix. I hope it is just cold solder instead of something else failed.

I had make changes to the firmware and now the ROM download and bootloader is reliable.

Here are some updated instructions

NP41s instructions
When you insert new battery, you will be at the test screen. The following keys is used,

• 'SST' key advance character set display.
• '4' toggles the beep test.
• 'CLX' exit setup, enter calculator emulation, may need to press twice.
• Other keys will show key-code, also shows battery voltage on screen.

When you are in calculator mode, and pressed 'ON' to turn unit off / timeout off.
When pressing 'CLX' + 'ON', like HP-41, master clear, "MEMORY LOST".
When pressing 'PRGM' + 'ON', you will be placed at setup mode, which have the following options.

• '7' toggles verbose mode, i.e. show / not show register contents and program listings.
• '8' toggles turbo mode, i.e. 8Mhz versus 16Mhz clock.
• '9' toggles LCD filter mode, i.e. when selected, suppress excessive LCD display updates.
• '4' toggles LCD backlight.
• '5' cycles through LCD contrast settings.
• '6' resets calculator to power-up test screen.
• 'USER' place calculator into boot-loader mode.

Please refer to the NP41 thread in MoHPC for ROM download instructions.

I probably don't have time to make progress this month except to play w/ it on and off to check on reliability.

Attached 2 photos of this new builds.
.. Had to use this share link because I had reached attachment quota. I will figure that out later.
05-12-2016, 02:54 PM
(05-12-2016 02:14 PM)Chris Chung Wrote:  Attached 2 photos of this new builds.....

Looks really great! Wonderful work! Makes waiting for the final shipping date hard.

Bernhard

That's one small step for a man - one giant leap for mankind.
05-12-2016, 04:07 PM
(05-12-2016 02:14 PM)Chris Chung Wrote:  Just a brief update as I am quite busy on other things lately.

Thank you!
Already salivating, here in queue...

:)

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)