Android Emulators/Simulators Awesome!
07-25-2015, 02:51 AM
Android Emulators/Simulators Awesome!
I just wanted to give a shout-out to Olivier de Smet, Thomas Okken, Eric Smith, and no doubt lots of other people I am carelessly leaving out but who deserve huge credit too.

I finally upgraded to an Android phone (Samsung S6 Edge), influenced by many things but largely a desire to take advantage of many apps acquired for an Android tablet.

To my delight, this phone is the perfect size and aspect ratio to host all of my favourites, in particular Free42, go41cx, go49gp, and Droid48, among others. Thomas's Free42 never felt better (I have had it on many devices and platforms over the years), and I am completely thrilled especially with all of Olivier's apps, especially the Voyageur series and the couple of Spice and Woodstock emulators I have.

And to think I was going to try to spend LESS time with my phone Smile

Les
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-25-2015, 12:05 PM
RE: Android Emulators/Simulators Awesome!
(07-25-2015 02:51 AM)lcwright1964 Wrote:  I just wanted to give a shout-out to Olivier de Smet, Thomas Okken, Eric Smith, and no doubt lots of other people I am carelessly leaving out but who deserve huge credit too.

+1

Günter
07-25-2015, 01:49 PM
(07-25-2015 12:05 PM)Guenter Schink Wrote:  
(07-25-2015 02:51 AM)lcwright1964 Wrote:  I just wanted to give a shout-out to Olivier de Smet, Thomas Okken, Eric Smith, and no doubt lots of other people I am carelessly leaving out but who deserve huge credit too.

+1

Günter

+1 2.

And I want to add the spectacular Pockemul, from Remy. If you like the old pocket computers from the 80's, like me, it's a must.

Cheers
07-27-2015, 12:35 PM
If only there was a WP-34S emulator for Android....

Jake
07-27-2015, 01:14 PM
The WP 34S is a wonderful calculator consigned to conform to the limits set by the HP 30B shell.

Rather than transferring the 34S to an android phone wouldn't it be more adequate, interesting, fulfilling etc to start from scratch & adjust to the possibilities & limitations of the android system?
07-27-2015, 02:19 PM
(07-27-2015 01:14 PM)Gerald H Wrote:  Rather than transferring the 34S to an android phone wouldn't it be more adequate, interesting, fulfilling etc to start from scratch & adjust to the possibilities & limitations of the android system?

That would essentially make the sky the limit. Since a version of the WP-34S emulator already exists for iOS, it seemed like a more tangible goal to extend that to Android. Designing a new calculating platform for Android from scratch would seem to be a much greater and more general task (with possibly greater rewards as well, I'll admit).
07-27-2015, 07:11 PM
(07-27-2015 12:35 PM)Jake Schwartz Wrote:  If only there was a WP-34S emulator for Android....

Jake

Yes, this would be really nice...
07-27-2015, 09:28 PM
We require someone with Android experience to port the emulator. We lack the knowledge and skills to readily do this.

- Pauli
07-28-2015, 06:02 AM
(07-27-2015 09:28 PM)Paul Dale Wrote:  We require someone with Android experience to port the emulator. We lack the knowledge and skills to readily do this.

- Pauli
Yeah cuz the 30b was a much more popular development platform than Android ;-)

This being said I think there is a Qt version of the 34s (?) which could be a start to bridge to Android.
07-28-2015, 06:09 AM
(07-28-2015 06:02 AM)Tugdual Wrote:  Yeah cuz the 30b was a much more popular development platform than Android ;-)

I think I am correct in saying that I've spent an infinitely larger amount of time developing for the 30b than for Android.

I've spent lots more time using the 30b than Android, the latter isn't zero in this case but it is small.

Feel free to offer to do the Android port, I don't have the time or will to learn how to.

- Pauli
07-28-2015, 07:30 AM
(07-28-2015 06:09 AM)Paul Dale Wrote:  
(07-28-2015 06:02 AM)Tugdual Wrote:  Yeah cuz the 30b was a much more popular development platform than Android ;-)

I think I am correct in saying that I've spent an infinitely larger amount of time developing for the 30b than for Android.

I've spent lots more time using the 30b than Android, the latter isn't zero in this case but it is small.

Feel free to offer to do the Android port, I don't have the time or will to learn how to.

- Pauli
Hi Pauli, don't take offense, I found your comment amusing which doesn't mean I have no respect for your work on the 30b (actually I value it much more than an Android development just in the case I was not clear).
This being said I myself have no time to invest on that. I have little free time and once worked on a project beside normal work and found myself with no life. This is something I will not repeat. Also I recently downgraded from Android to iOS, just to show how lazy I became Smile.
Cheers
07-28-2015, 07:35 AM
The 30b is not a popular development platform but it was available as such & has specific advantages for HP fans.

'Tis but a calculator & the best calculator we have - compare it with the calculators designed for an android phone & draw conclusions.

34s has the enormous advantage of cheapness - if you're such a snob as to find cheapness bad I'm sorry for you.

The developers of the 34S have produced a work far exceeding my expectations within the limits of the hardware.

My English is not adequate to praise their work. I feel it's something like the development of music in Europe, mostly Church music defined by multiple limiting parameters, but ultimately producing Bach etc.

Smartphones are a great platform allowing great freedom & sloppiness in programming - Who cares if you save a few Bytes?

The parameters are different & we'll see what wonders will be created.

Meanwhile the 34S is a calculator in a calculator body - enjoy it while you can.
07-28-2015, 01:54 PM
(07-28-2015 07:35 AM)Gerald H Wrote:  34s has the enormous advantage of cheapness - if you're such a snob as to find cheapness bad I'm sorry for you.
I agree. Quite a big differentiator compared to the $150€ Hp Prime for 1st graders.
07-30-2015, 07:32 AM
Well, since pushed this ball down the hill, I should clarify that I have three wp34s units, though I haven't kept them updated and am keen to get back to that.

I have to confess I wasn't even thinking of the wp34s when praising the Android emulators and simulators. Apples/oranges. The wp34s was a brand new thing, and I really hadn't thought much of it being ported to Android. I love all of the emulators and simulators I mentioned because they allow me to enjoy several HP units on my new Samsung phone, which seems to be just the right size for once, including several I don't ever expect to own.

Les

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)