NP-25
06-26-2015, 09:43 PM
NP-25
I was planning on bringing a few of the NP-25 calculators to HHC2015 in Nashville if anyone was interested. I'll bring both kits and assembled units. I'm trying to get a handle of how many people may be interested in these fun calculators, based on Eric Smith and Chris Chung's work. I've been ordering a stream of parts, but would probably have to place another order, depending on the response. Prices are the same as earlier stated, but you'd avoid any shipping fees.

Here are some pics of the assembled unit and the kit. The kit comes complete with all the switches, caps, resistors, pcb, IC's and LED displays and I solder the surface mount CR2032 battery holder onto the pcb. The micro is preprogrammed. You can bring back that "Heathkit" feeling by putting together your very own RPN calculator.

You may even see an NP-25 on the gift table!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-26-2015, 10:27 PM
RE: NP-25
(06-26-2015 09:43 PM)jjohnson873 Wrote:  You may even see an NP-25 on the gift table!

Jim - you stole my idea Wink I got an extra one just for HHC. Well, I'm sure there's demand for 2!

In the spirit of Geoff's bold but successful live card reader repair demo last year, how about assembling an NP25 unit as an HHC presentation?

Just don't drop any parts... cameras are everywhere!

--Bob Prosperi
06-26-2015, 11:15 PM
Ha Bob! Funny you should mention that. I've got several presentations in mind and that one was third on my list. However the specter of Geoff's live repair of an HP41 mag. card reader loomed large in my mind and I'm questioning if it's wise to tempt fate twice. Besides, handling a hot soldering iron with +26 pairs of eyes on me could cause a blunder I may regret. Wink

Quote:Jim - you stole my idea Wink I got an extra one just for HHC. Well, I'm sure there's demand for 2!

In the spirit of Geoff's bold but successful live card reader repair demo last year, how about assembling an NP25 unit as an HHC presentation?

Just don't drop any parts... cameras are everywhere!
06-26-2015, 11:55 PM
(06-26-2015 09:43 PM)jjohnson873 Wrote:  I was planning on bringing a few of the NP-25 calculators to HHC2015 in Nashville if anyone was interested. I'll bring both kits and assembled units. I'm trying to get a handle of how many people may be interested in these fun calculators, based on Eric Smith and Chris Chung's work. I've been ordering a stream of parts, but would probably have to place another order, depending on the response. Prices are the same as earlier stated, but you'd avoid any shipping fees.

Here are some pics of the assembled unit and the kit. The kit comes complete with all the switches, caps, resistors, pcb, IC's and LED displays and I solder the surface mount CR2032 battery holder onto the pcb. The micro is preprogrammed. You can bring back that "Heathkit" feeling by putting together your very own RPN calculator.

You may even see an NP-25 on the gift table!

Will you be selling any units. I am certainly interested in two units!

Namir
06-27-2015, 03:26 AM
Hi Namir. Yes, I will be selling assembled units and kits. And will bring two units for you.

Quote:Will you be selling any units. I am certainly interested in two units!

Namir
06-27-2015, 03:52 AM
(06-27-2015 03:26 AM)jjohnson873 Wrote:  Hi Namir. Yes, I will be selling assembled units and kits. And will bring two units for you.

Quote:Will you be selling any units. I am certainly interested in two units!

Namir

How much (cash) should I bring for the two units, please?

:-)

Namir
06-27-2015, 05:28 AM
Hahahahahaha!

You funny guys!

Maybe a live 9825a repair, hmmmmmm!

Naaaa, but I will be bringing Panamatiks chip in a 25 with a library built in of 55 programs and a printing 29C, yes a printing 29C, no not a 19C but, did I mention a printing 29C?

06-27-2015, 11:28 AM
$40 each assembled. $30 each in kit form.

Quote:How much (cash) should I bring for the two units, please?
Namir
06-27-2015, 11:30 AM
A printing HP-29C?! Very impressive, Geoff.

Quote:Naaaa, but I will be bringing Panamatiks chip in a 25 with a library built in of 55 programs and a printing 29C, yes a printing 29C, no not a 19C but, did I mention a printing 29C?
06-27-2015, 07:43 PM
(06-26-2015 11:15 PM)jjohnson873 Wrote:  ....However the specter of Geoff's live repair of an HP41 mag. card reader loomed large in my mind and I'm questioning if it's wise to tempt fate twice. Besides, handling a hot soldering iron with +26 pairs of eyes on me could cause a blunder I may regret. Wink

Personally, I thought Geoff's presentation was awesome for many reasons, but a key one is because several things didn't go perfectly. If all went perfect, we would have never learned about all the things that could go wrong, and how to handle it if they do go wrong.

If you've built as many NP25 units as it sounds like, you've probably discovered many of the things that can go wrong and know how to handle it. To me, these kinds of things are more helpful than a quick and dirty A, B, C - it's done, because real life rarely works that way.

I'd say go for it! I'd like to see one being built, and since the session video will be online after, it's a great reference for folks that want to buy a kit and give it a go.

--Bob Prosperi
06-28-2015, 02:43 AM
(06-27-2015 11:28 AM)jjohnson873 Wrote:  $40 each assembled. $30 each in kit form.

Quote:How much (cash) should I bring for the two units, please?
Namir

Will bring the cash for the two units. Many thanks in advance.

Namir
07-01-2015, 02:49 AM
HI Jim:

One of each for me, please.

TomC
07-01-2015, 12:36 PM
Ok Tom. Got it.

(07-01-2015 02:49 AM)TomC Wrote:  HI Jim:

One of each for me, please.

TomC
07-01-2015, 05:41 PM
One assembled for me please.
07-03-2015, 02:25 AM
I'll have an assembled unit for you, Gene.
Cheers...Jim
(07-01-2015 05:41 PM)Gene Wrote:  One assembled for me please.
10-02-2015, 03:08 AM
Hi Jim,

Loving the NP-25's.

Is there a way to do a master reset to return it to it's default state? I'm trying to return the start-up message to its default state to get those apostrophe-like characters.

Steve T.
10-02-2015, 03:28 AM
Not meaning to 'barge in', but here are the instructions that Jim had sent me:
(That row of apostrophes is (I believe) the default wakeup banner)
=========================================
Features

selectable rom from HP-21, HP-25C and HP-33C.
While turning on calculator, press-n-hold + PGM/RUN switch on to select one of the three ROMS.
Use the “f” key to select the calculator mode (21, 25 or 33) and “g” key to select “slow” or “fast” modes. You MUST press the Pgm/Run key to save your selection!
both 25C and 33C programs are stored separately.
a greetings message set and show, handy as a gift item
Description

press-n-hold 1st row, 5th column (from top) for hp33C
press-n-hold 2nd row, 5th column for hp25C
press-n-hold 3nd row, 5th column for hp21
press-n-hold 4th row, 4th column for version info
press-n-hold 1st row, 4th column to show greetings
press-n-hold 1st row, 3rd column to edit greetings, use 0-9 to enter numbers and letters, Run/Stop to advance digit, Cls to abandon entry
press-n-hold Pgm/Run toggle button to edit default startup settings, use 'F' key to select rom, 'G' key to select speed, Pgm/Run will save setting and exit setup

Best regards,
Jim J.
10-02-2015, 03:29 AM
..and a Major THANK YOU to Jim Johnson for his efforts, enthusiasm and support!!!

TomC
10-02-2015, 01:06 PM
(10-02-2015 03:08 AM)sjthomas Wrote:  Hi Jim,

Loving the NP-25's.

Is there a way to do a master reset to return it to it's default state? I'm trying to return the start-up message to its default state to get those apostrophe-like characters.

Steve T.

Hi Steve...if you hold down the "f" key when you turn on the NP25, you should get the apostrophe message scroll across the display. You can always edit that message and put in your own message by using the "EDIT" mode. You get into edit mode by holding down the GTO key and turning on the NP25. Then you can use the 0-9 keys to edit. Repeated presses of each of the keys get different alphanumeric characters. The R/S key advances to the next character. Keep pressing the R/S key until you reach the end and it will save your new message.

Btw...I should have your other NP25 assembled and tested by tonight and in the mail to you by Saturday. I had to wait for more IC's to come in to finish it up.
10-02-2015, 07:58 PM
Hi Jim. No rush on the other unit.

I've already edited the startup/greeting message with no problem. However, wanting to change the message, I'd like to include the apostrophe character, and it doesn't seem to be assigned to any of the number keys. So I was thinking that if I could return it to its initial state, I'd have all those apostrophes and could just overwrite some of them with other characters.

Or, approaching it from perhaps a more direct angle, is it possible to put the apostrophe character into a message?

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)