Nostalgia
05-17-2015, 10:38 PM
Nostalgia
Hi,
I am 52 years old. I have many calculators:
(Sharp pc 1500,TI 57,TI 58C, HP 41CX, HP 95LX, HP 200 LX, 2 TI 89 Titanium, HP 48 SX, HP 48G, HP 49G, 2 TI Nspire CX, 2 TI Nspire CX CAS, HP 15 C LE, HP Prime...)
I was amaze by the HP 41 CX... This is the golden years for me. Now I search for the next one but...I can't find. I teach mathematic and I see my students use calculators not for fun (programming) but only for calculating or doing simple math. I need a calculator that do many things: real WiFi for surfing, able to exchange with other calculators (like HP 48G), good keyboard (like HP Prime), good OS like... and a new application that every body would like to have.
I think that students have a lot of little calculators and the also have phone to play with. Now, I think my turn can arrive... Can you transform the Prime like this... I can pay this is not a problem.. Your price will be ok. Come on, do a new golden years...
Marcel.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-17-2015, 11:10 PM
RE: Nostalgia
Hi!
I am 100 % agree with you. I am 46 years old, and the same feeling.

I have a HP Prime, and is a great calculator. But lacks " something" to be as great as the HP48GX .

It is also possible that "something " does not exist, you just have idealized the old models we use in our youth, as we do with the music of other times Smile

Greetings from Argentina
05-17-2015, 11:21 PM
Hi Ariel,
May be... This is why I call the thread Nostalgia...
Marcel
05-17-2015, 11:35 PM
I am thinking a Calculator biased on the Rasberry Pi 2 and running Linux, Sage Math and OpenOffice with the HDMI Interface , Audio Interface, Adrunio Shields Interface, Software Keyboard, TouchScreen interface, SD Card Interface, Ethernet Interface. Also open files plastic case you can 3D Print. Should be easy to do. Call it The Open Calculator Project and set up website for it. Apps can be developed in C or C++ using GNU C or Python and put on Website. Anyone can manufacture the Calculator.
05-18-2015, 12:30 AM
Wow . . . sign me up! Just think about the beta testing to iron out the bugs -- should keep everybody here busy for the next 10 years Smile

What about integration of Giac/Xcas CAS into Sage Math as a module? Does that already exist?
05-18-2015, 05:47 AM
Yes, you can use Giac (not Xcas) inside sage, just install Giac/Xcas separately, the interface code is provided by sage. But this is hard way to use Giac, you need much more ressources (a full sage install), and the sage UI does not provide the same level of help. It might be of interest for maths people who have already code working in sage and want to accelerate it in some areas where Giac is much faster than sage (for example multivariate polynomials, Groebner basis, rational univariate representation...). Otherwise, it's easier to use Xcas or Qcas on the desktop or one of the existing Giac interfaces for programmers: python (giacpy module), javascript (webxcas), java (JNI)
05-18-2015, 02:17 PM
Thanks for the explanation!

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)