Curious Feature on the HP-37E Financial Calculator
05-16-2015, 09:16 PM (This post was last modified: 05-16-2015 09:20 PM by bshoring.)
Curious Feature on the HP-37E Financial Calculator
People familiar with the Spice Series know that the 38 E/C is the high end financial of the series and the 37 E is the low end, non-programmable model.

The 37 E does have a rather unusual function that the 38, 12, 22, and 27 don't have. It's the PRICE function "X / ( 1-Y/100 )." Its purpose is to calculate retail price given the markup as a % (in Y) and the wholesale or purchase cost in X. The manual gives four different ways this function can be used, including conversions from markup based on cost and market based on selling price and vice versa.

I'm curious as to whether this function has shown up on any other financial calculators that I didn't mention above?

Bob
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-16-2015, 09:26 PM
RE: Curious Feature on the HP-37E Financial Calculator
Not as such.

However, it is present in any of the financial models that have Cost, Price, Margin, and Markup keys, of course.

Cool one key function on the 37E however!
05-17-2015, 01:40 AM
(05-16-2015 09:26 PM)Gene Wrote:  However, it is present in any of the financial models that have Cost, Price, Margin, and Markup keys, of course.

Cool one key function on the 37E however!

Yes, it is kind of cool ! I hadn't paid much attention to the function before, but now that I have a 37E, I've been playing with it. It is useful for other things besides retail, like finding a price net of taxes or vice versa. Of course one could also load the stack with the correct multipliers and get the same result.

Bob
05-17-2015, 01:51 AM
The WP 34S has this function %+MG but with X and Y reversed.

- Pauli

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)