Feature request: Threaded view mode removal
04-27-2015, 05:27 PM
Feature request: Threaded view mode removal
It appears we have two view modes that lead to different approaches on how to quote: Linear view mode (LVM) users tend to reply to the original posting when referring to a post on a different node, while threaded view mode (TVM) users sometimes omit the quote. In both cases, readers in one 'camp' have difficulties to get the correct reference in postings from contributors of the other one.

One of the view modes should go to end the discussion. I'd vote for the TVM for two reasons:

(1) LVM users appear to be in the majority - less resistence is to be expected Tongue

(2) Threads within threads are nonsense when you have a forum software able to organize topics

Still, I could live with a different solution as long as this matter is finally settled.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-13-2015, 03:33 AM
RE: Feature request: Threaded view mode removal
I finally got around to checking and the number of people who have threaded mode set as the default viewing mode in their control panel is 1. So perhaps removing it is a good idea. Any counter-arguments?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-13-2015, 06:49 AM
(05-13-2015 03:33 AM)Dave Hicks Wrote:  So perhaps removing it is a good idea.

1+
05-13-2015, 08:38 AM
Seems reasonable to me.

Not that I'm the threaded mode user.

- Pauli
05-13-2015, 08:28 PM
(05-13-2015 03:33 AM)Dave Hicks Wrote:  Any counter-arguments?

Not from me

Cheers, Terje
05-14-2015, 01:07 AM
(05-13-2015 08:28 PM)Terje Vallestad Wrote:  
Not from me
Me neither
Sylvain
05-14-2015, 06:22 PM
(05-13-2015 03:33 AM)Dave Hicks Wrote:  I finally got around to checking and the number of people who have threaded mode set as the default viewing mode in their control panel is 1. So perhaps removing it is a good idea. Any counter-arguments?

Will you remove it completely, or just remove it as a default option (i.e. user can still turn on if desired)? It is useful on very rare occaisions when threads split into different parallel threads, but I certainly can live without it.

Pretty hard to argue with your revealing stats. When weighing the above rare benefit with all the chatter about it, it's a no-brainer to me. Make it so.

--Bob Prosperi
05-17-2015, 08:03 AM (This post was last modified: 05-17-2015 08:06 AM by Didier Lachieze.)
(05-13-2015 08:28 PM)Terje Vallestad Wrote:  
Not from me
Cheers, Terje
Not from me. I don't use threaded mode and will not miss it.
05-17-2015, 02:21 PM
(05-13-2015 03:33 AM)Dave Hicks Wrote:  I finally got around to checking and the number of people who have threaded mode set as the default viewing mode in their control panel is 1. So perhaps removing it is a good idea. Any counter-arguments?

Since I'm pretty new to this forum, my input may not count for much, but threaded view suits me best. I just hadn't realized it could be set as my default mode, so I've been selecting it per-thread while reading the forum posts.
05-17-2015, 03:24 PM
I haven't previously used the threaded mode, but now you've drawn my attention to it I say it's an interesting alternative.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)