Microsoft Small Basic
04-24-2015, 02:52 PM (This post was last modified: 04-25-2015 12:58 PM by Namir.)
Microsoft Small Basic
I recently discovered Microsoft Small Basic 1.1. The text/Windows based programming environment is aimed at young and new programmers. It supports several types of objects that allow you to write very interesting graphics game. I am still learning. Two days ago I discovered that the Sound object can play (with the possibility of stopping) mp3 music files!! So I went to work creating many apps that play music at random. In the process I was able to create an app that copies files from sub-directories and consolidate them in a single target directory. Thus, I was able to consolidate the musical tracks for an artist in a single folder and then play these tracks at random.

Microsoft Small Basic creates small .exe files that you can run separately.

Here is the main link to MS Small Basic. Also here is the link to the reference documentation. There are several books published for MS SMall Basic.

Here are a few programming features for MS Small BASIC:

1. Supports basically the variant type that can be an integer, real number, or string.
2. All variables and arrays are global.
3. There is no support for functions.
4. There is support for Sub procedure but they cannot have arguments. This will cause the need for convoluted coding to simulate Sub with pseudo-local variables and parameters.
5. The Text object which support strings has an adequate but not complete set of methods/functions.
6. Arrays are dynamic and can be multidimensional. You can index them with integers or strings.
7. There is a generous number of methods to support loading images and drawing filled and empty shapes.
8. Basic support for mouse and keyboard events in graphics mode.
9. Basic support for console input and output in text mode.
10. The File object supports methods to scan directories and folders. The methods for the File object are well coded and easy to use.
11. Support for a Stack object that helps in writing apps that scan nested sub-directories.
12. Support for shapes than can be drawn AND moved. These are in addition to the static lines, circles, rectangles that you can draw.

Enjoy!

Namir
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-24-2015, 09:31 PM (This post was last modified: 04-25-2015 12:32 AM by Les Bell.)
RE: Microsoft Small Basic
(04-24-2015 02:52 PM)Namir Wrote:  2. All variables and arrays are global.
3. There is no support for functions.
4. There is support for Sub procedure but they cannot have arguments. This will cause the need for convoluted coding to simulate Sub with pseudo-local variables and parameters.

Ouch! Those three points, alone, pretty much cripple what could have been quite a nice introductory language. As it is, all the functionality attached to objects like animated graphics and .mp3 files will be enough to get beginning programmers excited and enthusiastic and then gradually draw them into a morass of unstructured and unmaintainable code. Given that every contemporary textbook on language implementation provides elegant patterns for dealing with scope rules, types, functions, etc. I wonder why the language is so anaemic? (Especially when there are many more full-featured languages, such as Processing, in the same niche.)

--- Les
[http://www.lesbell.com.au]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-25-2015, 12:17 AM
Thanks for the information, Namir

I beleive there's lot of fun playing with it, I'm gonna give a try.

Cheers
04-25-2015, 03:45 AM
There are theses alternative BASIC implementations ...
http://basic.mindteq.com/index.php?i=full

and you can create a custom list here ...
http://basic.mindteq.com/index.php?i=custom

Sylvain
04-25-2015, 08:58 AM
Thanks Sylvain for the nice link.
04-25-2015, 12:34 PM (This post was last modified: 04-25-2015 12:59 PM by Namir.)
I updated my description for MS Small BASIC.

The number of games available online is impressive!!

Namir
04-26-2015, 04:45 PM (This post was last modified: 04-26-2015 04:47 PM by Don Shepherd.)
(04-24-2015 02:52 PM)Namir Wrote:  There are several books published for MS SMall Basic.
Namir, I became aware of Small BASIC a few years ago when I was preparing to teach a beginner's BASIC programming course to my middle school students. I can't say that that course was an overwhelming success (middle school kids aren't good with exact syntax, and MS Small BASIC does require a specific syntax, like most programming languages), but I reviewed a couple of Small BASIC books on Amazon.com:

developer's guide

beginner's guide
04-26-2015, 08:01 PM
(04-26-2015 04:45 PM)Don Shepherd Wrote:  I reviewed a couple of Small BASIC books on Amazon.com:

Hi Don,

They may be good books, but at those prices, I doubt if too many average users would be investing in them. I know I wouldn't. It's a shame that they are not more reasonably priced. I have to chuckle when I notice that the price for a new copy of "Beginning Microsoft Small Basic" is less than the starting prices for the used copies on Amazon. Book pricing on Amazon has always amazed me with their inconsistencies - and ebook pricing can be even stranger - with some ebook being twice the cost of the real book.

Bill
Smithville, NJ
04-26-2015, 09:52 PM
I did buy two book, for over $50 each. They are well done. Unfortunately I cannot find the books' source code for download.

Namir
04-27-2015, 12:27 AM
[attachment=1915]
(04-26-2015 09:52 PM)Namir Wrote:  ... cannot find the books' source code ...

Can you translate?

SlideRule
04-27-2015, 09:25 AM
A nice feature of this program is that you can publish your code and make it easily accessible to the crowd. The toolbar offers a "Publish" button and after successful uploading you get a code which can be offered to your buddies.
Namir, if you are willing to, you may offer your MP3 playing/sorting app, it sounds interesting ;-)

Cheers
Frido
04-28-2015, 03:01 AM
Looks like a fun environment. Probably adequate for small utilities, etc.

C++, et.al. would be to Small Basic as RPL is to RPN.
04-28-2015, 03:10 AM
(04-28-2015 03:01 AM)Dwight Sturrock Wrote:  Looks like a fun environment. Probably adequate for small utilities, etc.

C++, et.al. would be to Small Basic as RPL is to RPN.

Interesting analogy. I like it.

--Bob Prosperi

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)