Android
07-22-2015, 06:58 PM
RE: Android
Well, I tried first something like NNN 3*x-1, that worked. Then I took your example from the video: sqrt(1-A) and it crashed on my note3. Perhaps nobody really bothers because without an easy way to transfer files to the mobile for me it is nothing but a very expensive calculator, I am not willing to transfer file by file using the above mentioned methods neither do I root my mobile.
Arno
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-23-2015, 04:44 AM
Thank you. I emailed to Calculators@hp.com.

Prime, 15C CE
07-23-2015, 08:00 PM
(07-22-2015 06:26 PM)chromos Wrote:  300 views within last two days (my previous post) and no one can tell if that bug is reproducible or not?

I have tried your examples, and, I have no problem creating new functions, editing them, or executing them on Android OS 4.4.4. However, I do get the same issues you are experiencing on Android 5.1.1, it appears to be OS version related.
07-23-2015, 08:47 PM
Thanx, interesting.

Prime, 15C CE
07-30-2015, 02:00 PM
(07-20-2015 01:51 AM)chromos Wrote:  ... After creating user defined function the HP Prime crashes to desktop...

Nine days ago I sent email to Calculators@hp.com which is address mentioned on the product page at google play. Still no answer from company.

HP Prime is PROGRAMMABLE(!) calculator and there is no rational way to backup user's programs. User's functions are not working at all on android > 5. It surprised me that the functionality isn't even on par with calculators from 1977 era (eg. TI-59 had "magnetic backup" at least).

There were times (1980s) when hp calculators (HP-41C) were flying into space and served as backup for primary systems. Man could be proud that he own HP calculator.

Today it looks like the company produced half-baked product and even aren't able to tell if they are going to deal with fixing it.

How different it is from other android developers - if I send bug report then not only I recieve reply within an hours, but often I am invited into beta to try new versions (often within an hours too).

But what to expect from devs of product which is most expensive piece of software which I have installed.

/rant off.

Prime, 15C CE
07-30-2015, 02:18 PM
Well, here I have a matching example: MathStudio which I bought a long time ago, I had Windows Mobile at that time. They usually said to bug reports: Will be fixed in the next update (which came out months or years later). I even bought it for android, go to their page and read a bit, users are waiting for an update longer than one and a half year or even longer. So this seems to be quite normal for programs like that. I think I will report to Google.
Arno
07-30-2015, 04:09 PM
If my info isn't wrong then developing of MathStudio for android was stopped and there will be only "web api" to mathstudio site. I think it is mentioned (finally) in their FAQ. If this is "matching example" then can I expect abandoning HP Prime right after release? :-)

Approach of MathStudio's devs to android customers is one of the worst (I was one of their customers too). But if you think it is "quite normal" why you want to report them to google? :-)

Prime, 15C CE
07-30-2015, 05:36 PM
(07-30-2015 04:09 PM)chromos Wrote:  If my info isn't wrong then developing of MathStudio for android was stopped and there will be only "web api" to mathstudio site. I think it is mentioned (finally) in their FAQ. If this is "matching example" then can I expect abandoning HP Prime right after release? :-)

Approach of MathStudio's devs to android customers is one of the worst (I was one of their customers too). But if you think it is "quite normal" why you want to report them to google? :-)

Quite normal, for some programmers, easily make some money...
Well, I don't want to report the MathStudio devs, I haven't used it for a long time now but for showing some ready made 3D-graphs to my pupils, I think that a program which is sold for a lot of money must be made usable for the customer, the Prime app is unusable at the moment and the customer must get to know that before he finds out himself, when he tries to get programs written by others into the app. As I mentioned above, without a dedicated folder...
Arno
07-31-2015, 07:26 AM (This post was last modified: 07-31-2015 07:28 AM by Angus.)
I think it would have been much much better to have a 'real' newly developed app for mobiles. Saving and sharing data and programs with the physical prime is somewhat mandatory in my eyes.
Only having the adopted windows emulator on a phone or a tablet means little work for hp, that is true, but it is nothing benefitial or pleasing. It is not enough. You could and should use the larger screen on a tablet. So it is just a quick solution again.

Having the announced ios version in mind where some users made proposals for better i/o capabilities I am curious what app is to be expected. I would be surprised to see something different than the emulator.
However hp development is surely busy with the actual prime. Somehow I was surprised to see an other potential problem released by hp. i.e. android app. No idea why they launched that prior to finishing the physical prime which is, in my eyes, much more important. (funny thing is that the first version had bugs that were fixed on the prime the same time the app showed up) Thinking of image gain and the desired marked.
08-17-2015, 02:48 PM
(07-23-2015 04:44 AM)chromos Wrote:  ... I emailed to Calculators@hp.com.

I got reply from hp today:

Hi Mirek,
I talked to our software developers and they are aware of the bug. Further, they have resolved the issue and will be publishing the fix along with other upgrades in the middle of September.
Best,
HP Calculator Support Team

Nice.

Prime, 15C CE
08-18-2015, 07:54 AM
(08-17-2015 02:48 PM)chromos Wrote:  
(07-23-2015 04:44 AM)chromos Wrote:  ... I emailed to Calculators@hp.com.

I got reply from hp today:

Hi Mirek,
I talked to our software developers and they are aware of the bug. Further, they have resolved the issue and will be publishing the fix along with other upgrades in the middle of September.
Best,
HP Calculator Support Team

Nice.

I don't know if this issue has been addressed previously, but does this mean that the Android emulator will be ahead of the physical hardware in terms of bug fixes? If so, this could be a major selling point!

Nigel (UK)
08-18-2015, 10:47 AM
(08-18-2015 07:54 AM)Nigel (UK) Wrote:  I don't know if this issue has been addressed previously, but does this mean that the Android emulator will be ahead of the physical hardware in terms of bug fixes? If so, this could be a major selling point!
There were two firmware updates for the physical HP Prime since the last Android version (release 1.0.9 as of 2015-04-20) was released:

- release 1.2 (build 7820) as of 2015-04-27
- release 1.2.1 (build 8151) as of 2015-06-17

According to the cited answer from HP support above the Android emulator will be updated in September - as I read it, perhaps synchronized with updates for the other platforms (physical calculator, Windows emulator, ...) as well this time.

Greetings,

Matthias

--
"Programs are poems for computers."
08-28-2015, 02:48 PM (This post was last modified: 08-28-2015 02:54 PM by StephenG1CMZ.)
I'd like to see a few changes to the virtual screen.

1 move it:
Have a look at compsystems picture of the app in landscape.
The screen is at the left hand edge and there is a black border to its right.
When editing programs on a small screen it can be tricky placing the cursor at the beginning of the line. Sometimes you drag in a menu from offscreen at the left edge.

If the screen were moved a little to the right (swapping places with the black border) placing the cursor at the beginning of the line would be easy.

2 if that border weren't black it might save a lot of ink when printing the screen (but might not look so good onscreen)

3 make it bigger:
Once you've finished interacting and just want to see the results, toggling it to full-screen can't be difficult.

4 even better would be some option to improve the resolution.

5 there is very little difference between the 3 font sizes. Can we have some larger fonts please?

Stephen Lewkowicz (G1CMZ)
https://my.numworks.com/python/steveg1cmz
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-28-2015, 03:37 PM
(05-24-2015 02:02 PM)kharpster Wrote:  
(05-24-2015 08:13 AM)StephenG1CMZ Wrote:  Would it be possible to provide this description on a HP web page also?

Because the existing link cannot be read unless you have a Google Play account.
And after my old phone broke I couldn't remember my password, so I was unable to check the specifications.

And does anyone know if it usable on a Moto E phone with a 4.3in screen?

Here is the official HP link which includes Android info: http://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/prime...a5cqf1p9xi

In so far as being usable on a 4.3 screen, that depends on the individual. I find my 5 inch Droid Ultra screen at the limit of usability, and my Nexus 7 to be easy to use. You can download the app, try it and if you don't like it uninstall in within 2 hrs for a refund.

I finally decided to try it.

As several people had said it wasn't compatible with their devices and my moto screen was 4.3 in rather than the recommended 5 in, I wasn't sure it would download. It did, without any warning about my screen size. But there was a warning suggesting the refund option was unavailable (sorry, I didn't save the exact wording).

First impressions: bearing in mind my small screen, I am surprised how well it works. The buttons are large enough and well separated for general use (though I can't hold alpha and shift together at the same time). Yes it is a bit of guesswork as to why whether you type V or Y, and menu selection is a bit hit and miss, but easily corrected. And all 3 fonts on the screen would be nice if they were bigger. I wouldn't want to be doing accurate positioning and drawing in a CAD application on such a small screen. But first impressions given my small Android screen: better than expected. Looking to the longer term I am sure the app will be fun to use. I have yet to try file backup/transfer. If someone asked me what screen size,to get, I'd stick with the recommended 5 in, but if 4.3 in is what you have, don't let that stop you. (And don't forget Android has accessibility options for magnifying the screen if you need to)

Stephen Lewkowicz (G1CMZ)
https://my.numworks.com/python/steveg1cmz
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-24-2015, 05:55 AM
Version 1.1.5
Thanks for update 1.1.5. It seems user defined functions no more crash.

Question:
Is planned for future versions some simple way to load user programs? Copy and paste with third party text editor is truly user unfriendly.

Prime, 15C CE
10-24-2015, 04:02 PM
(10-24-2015 05:55 AM)chromos Wrote:  Thanks for update 1.1.5.
Apparently released on 2015-10-23. Can you provide the complete release and version info so that table in Wikipedia can be updated accordingly?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HP_Prime#Firmware_versions

Thanks,

Matthias

--
"Programs are poems for computers."
10-28-2015, 08:11 AM (This post was last modified: 10-28-2015 08:11 AM by chromos.)
Update 1.1.7
Wow, another update after four days. It seems that the android programmers finally started going to work. :-) Thank you!

Prime, 15C CE
08-11-2016, 01:28 PM
Real calculator got a new contrast key labels (http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-6674.html), can we expect the same for our emulators please? Or are emulators abandoned? Because for last ten months we got only one _update_, which was price adjustment from $25 to 6$. Of course, I cannot install that _update_. :-)

Prime, 15C CE
08-12-2016, 01:50 AM
(08-11-2016 01:28 PM)chromos Wrote:  for last ten months we got only one _update_, which was price adjustment from $25 to 6$. Of course, I cannot install that _update_. :-)

Today, when I checked the Google Play store it was back up to $19.99. This price jump happened within the past 48 hours, as it was at $5.99 less than two days ago.

Really odd.

Eric

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)