TV B-Gone from AdaFruit
03-12-2015, 07:48 PM (This post was last modified: 03-12-2015 07:49 PM by MarkHaysHarris777.)
TV B-Gone from AdaFruit
So, I built this gizmo called "Super TV-B-Gone," which is an ATMEL micro controller programmed with ALL (98%) of the power codes of most TVs sold in the U.S.; you can read about it here.

While I drank my coffee this morning I powered of the TVs at MacDonalds; then drove down the street and powered off the TV at Burger King...

... decided to head over to BestBuy... you knew that was coming; yup, they all went off (from more than 100 ft away), and then a funny thing happened. They all came back on in 10 seconds. Seems BestBuy has an anti-missile-missile; they have a device that sends out the power-on codes every ten seconds. :-))

Cheers,
marcus
Smile

Kind regards,
marcus
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-12-2015, 09:03 PM (This post was last modified: 03-12-2015 09:04 PM by Jim Horn.)
RE: TV B-Gone from AdaFruit
Out of curiosity, Mark, since a remote doesn't know if it's associated TV is on or off, it must use a single code to toggle the TV's power. So if Best Buy sent out a "turn TV on" code every ten seconds, I'd expect they'd turn off ten seconds later.

Since the TV-B-Gone sends all its hundreds of codes over the span of two minutes, I suspect that after it turns the TVs at the store off, a later code ends up turning them back on. So if you see it turn the TVs off, putting it in your pocket would probably end up with them staying that way.

Or else, one of the Best Buy employees, seeing that they *are* off, may have a TV-B-Returned (i.e. a TV-B-Gone) to turn them all back on.

Best wishes from a fellow engineer -
03-12-2015, 09:24 PM (This post was last modified: 03-12-2015 09:26 PM by MarkHaysHarris777.)
(03-12-2015 09:03 PM)Jim Horn Wrote:  Since the TV-B-Gone sends all its hundreds of codes over the span of two minutes, I suspect that after it turns the TVs at the store off, a later code ends up turning them back on. So if you see it turn the TVs off, putting it in your pocket would probably end up with them staying that way.

Nope, thought of that; even tried it. I got them to go off, then covered the LEDs and waited... ten seconds later they powered up. I don't know what they are using but I suspect its a similar controller (yes, they are ICSP programmable) with the 'ON' codes. But, you've got me thinking about whether the 'OFF' codes of one set are in fact the 'ON' codes of another set... or if the OFF|ON are in more or less standard ranges so that there isn't that overlap?

Cheers,
marcus

Kind regards,
marcus
03-12-2015, 09:55 PM (This post was last modified: 03-12-2015 10:00 PM by Dave Frederickson.)
(03-12-2015 07:48 PM)MarkHaysHarris777 Wrote:  While I drank my coffee this morning I powered of the TVs at MacDonalds; then drove down the street and powered off the TV at Burger King...

What concerns me is Marcus hitting two fast food franchises in one morning. Smile
03-12-2015, 11:02 PM
(03-12-2015 09:03 PM)Jim Horn Wrote:  Out of curiosity, Mark, since a remote doesn't know if it's associated TV is on or off, it must use a single code to toggle the TV's power. So if Best Buy sent out a "turn TV on" code every ten seconds, I'd expect they'd turn off ten seconds later.

Most modern TV's do have dedicated ON and OFF IR codes as well as an ON/OFF toggle code. You can find these by digging a little on sites like this one.

-katie

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-13-2015, 01:40 PM
... oh boys and girls will you ever grow up ?

... hopefully not!
03-13-2015, 09:03 PM
(03-12-2015 11:02 PM)Katie Wasserman Wrote:  Most modern TV's do have dedicated ON and OFF IR codes as well as an ON/OFF toggle code. You can find these by digging a little on sites like this one.

Bingo! That's it exactly. Katie, thank you for solving something that's been in the back of my mind for years. And for your many delightful posts that have helped us all!
03-14-2015, 10:36 AM
I have realized that this thread should have been placed in the off-topic subforum... so, I'm going to report myself and have it moved. I do regret the inconvenience (on both counts).

Cheers,
marcus
Smile

Kind regards,
marcus
03-14-2015, 03:18 PM (This post was last modified: 03-14-2015 03:18 PM by Katie Wasserman.)
(03-14-2015 10:36 AM)MarkHaysHarris777 Wrote:  I have realized that this thread should have been placed in the off-topic subforum.

Done.

-katie

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-16-2015, 12:12 AM
Here's your skill badge. Smile

[Image: tvbgone.jpg]

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)