PrimeComm
03-09-2015, 02:18 PM
PrimeComm
Hello,

This morning I update my HP Prime and activity kit.
I have now on the Prime:
Software version 2014 12 3 (6975)
Operating system SDKV0.44_R.521

Before the upgrade the third party tool PrimeComm was working well.
After the update not.
PrimeComm is given the message files(s) transferred, but on the Prime no file, the only
reaction is that the cursor is going to the "Function" icon.

Is there a solution?

Thanks.
Jan Kromhout
Hellevoetsluis-NL
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-09-2015, 03:44 PM
RE: PrimeComm
The solution is to use the HP provided connectivity kit and drag/drop your files to transfer. The original author never implemented the transfer check sum and thus when we started enforcing it with later revisions the sending happens, but is discarded on the calculator side because it is detected as corrupt.

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
03-10-2015, 03:44 AM (This post was last modified: 03-10-2015 03:46 AM by bobkrohn.)
I have only used the 3rd party program a few times. Only because it already had a warning about communications problems when I first got it.

But it has saved me LOTS of grief because I can simply read binary .hpprgm files directly.

Especially those in .zip files from previous Backups when the Connectivity Kit "forgets" to copy the contents of those files during the Backup/Restore process.
I just went through that exercise again this afternoon.
Search & Replace, Format Code, etc.

Fantastic.

Has anyone at HP thought of hiring the Author to fix the Connectivity Kit?
At least maybe collaborate to get his program fully functional?
It would be appreciated by all end users I'm sure.
03-10-2015, 03:47 AM
Have you tried dragging the program file to the file tree (bottom left) and clicking on it?

Provided it is really a program file and not a plain text file masquerading it will open right up...

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
03-10-2015, 06:28 PM
Quote:At least maybe collaborate to get his program fully functional?
Do you have any proof that HP is collaborating neither with Erwin Ried for the PrimeComm with buggy/outdated communication capabilities, nor with myself for the portable, interoperable but still GUI-less libhpcalcs ? Smile
03-11-2015, 10:55 PM
(03-10-2015 06:28 PM)debrouxl Wrote:  
Quote:At least maybe collaborate to get his program fully functional?
Do you have any proof that HP is collaborating neither with Erwin Ried for the PrimeComm with buggy/outdated communication capabilities, nor with myself for the portable, interoperable but still GUI-less libhpcalcs ? Smile

OK, I'm not sure if I just stepped into a "sore spot".
I don't even know what libhpcalcs is.
Looks like it's been around for year and a half. What do you do with it?
No UI?
Prime Comm has formatting, Search and Replace, etc.

I just want something that actually works. And works reliably.
I'm not a long time user (maybe three months).
All I know right now is that the Connectivity Kit has many, many serious flaws and nothing seems to be happening with it. Has caused much grief for me.
Most serious is Missing files when doing Backup/Restore.
If I'm understanding correctly CK has always been a problem.
03-12-2015, 06:55 AM
Quote:What do you do with it?
Communicate with the calculator. It was there slightly before PrimeComm, though it was announced slightly after it. I wouldn't have announced libhpcalcs so early without the PrimeComm announcement, I'd have wished to do some more work.
libhpcalcs is derived from the time-proven (the effort started in 1999) set of libti* libraries aiming at performing the same operations against TI graphical calculators: TI-Z80 series, TI-68k series, TI-Nspire series and soon TI-eZ80 series (with several changes to TI-Z80 support). It retains the API design (mostly), portability (Windows, MacOS X, Linux and normally FreeBSD), interoperability (written in C, so that every decent programming language can plug into it) of libti*. The GPLv2 license, too, as some code was taken from libti*.

Quote:No UI?
No graphical UI. It obviously has a terminal-based UI, but that (rightfully) doesn't appeal to most users...

Quote:Prime Comm has formatting, Search and Replace, etc.
Indeed, but it fails to fulfill the core functionality of a communication program, on which more advanced features such as document editing (which is indeed good in PrimeComm), can be built: transfer files to and from the calculator.
PrimeComm has been broken since nearly a year ago, while libhpcalcs was unharmed by that firmware version; for the latest 6940 / 6975 firmware version, Daniel Mewes made several reliability / functionality fixes so that libhpcalcs would be able to transfer all of his files (that is, especially the larger ones), and contributed them to libhpcalcs.

Quote:All I know right now is that the Connectivity Kit has many, many serious flaws and nothing seems to be happening with it. Has caused much grief for me.
Most serious is Missing files when doing Backup/Restore.
If I'm understanding correctly CK has always been a problem.
Correct, other persons have had and are still having problems with the official CK. But it's the canonical program, and the only one which can update the calculator's firmware.
Missing files when doing Backup/restore can be due to transfer errors, which are quite frequent due to limitations of the Windows stack. The USB HID class used by HP for the Prime for most communication operations makes it possible to avoid the need for the royal Windows driver pain (I know, I and libti* users get to deal with it...), but conversely, forces relatively slow, unreliable communication, at least on Windows.
At some point, during the early making of libhpcalcs, my beta-tester (critor) reported a packet loss ratio of 3 out of 4 on a ~20 KB transfer, just because I was printing logging output to the horrendously slow Windows terminal, which was interferring with the precise timings of USB HID control transfers. At least, that's how I explain such dismal behaviour. Writing logging output into a file fixed the problem, but once in a while, a packet still goes MIA.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)