Targeted at whom?
03-05-2015, 09:08 AM (This post was last modified: 03-05-2015 09:11 AM by Angus.)
Targeted at whom?
I second the comment.
http://forum.hp-prime.de/discussion/787/...-of-an-era

Is the prime no longer -only- targeted at the educational sector? May there be a chance that the prime will evolve further, soon?
If so, yippie!! Please think of the workflow you desire when needing a reliable machine for quick calculations at your bench. Few keystrokes, menus, etc.. Please ask yourself if you might be able to tweak the prime even at some basic, non so popular and demanded, aspects.
I am aware that usage at school is different and might excuse having to enter formula data, activate menus etc.... But if you just extended your target range...... :-)

Or should I feel lost as a non-student?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-05-2015, 10:01 AM
RE: Targeted at whom?
(03-05-2015 09:08 AM)Angus Wrote:  Is the prime no longer -only- targeted at the educational sector? May there be a chance that the prime will evolve further, soon?
Remember the 39gII suffering crib death. You get what's there with no guarantee for any bugfixes or other improvements. Get one if it meets your requirements or wait until it does. I take my past experiences with HP calculators very serious.
03-05-2015, 02:08 PM (This post was last modified: 03-05-2015 02:34 PM by Marcio.)
Nice discussion.

I think the Prime has lots of potential to indeed become a flagship. It needs some fixes (the keyboard is not very easy, especially for aging eyes) but still, a great machine no doubt.

And now that the 50g is dead (doesn't mean we're gonna stop using it), we have a new product that does everything that the 50g (or any other HP calc) does in 1/200 of the processing time and with a lot less effort.

There is a huge wall separating the usefulness of a calculator to that of a computer and it seems the Prime making this wall fall apart little by little, brick by brick. THis may seem a little surrealistic but try solving Partial Ddifferential Equations or perform parameter estimation on other calcs.

Marcio
03-05-2015, 03:17 PM
(03-05-2015 02:08 PM)Marcio Wrote:  And now that the 50g is dead (doesn't mean we're gonna stop using it), we have a new product that does everything that the 50g (or any other HP calc) does in 1/200 of the processing time and with a lot less effort.

Marcio

The 50g is dead?!? I'll give them my 50g when they pry it from my cold, dead tentacles! Smile

Tom L
Cui bono?
03-05-2015, 03:50 PM (This post was last modified: 03-05-2015 05:59 PM by Marcio.)
Well, I too love my 50g but that won't change the fact that it is going to die by the end of the year, meaning HP will discontinue it, just like they did with other series. The 50g is nearly 10 years old and HP is not going to release another RPL calculator soon, if ever, and one of the reasons is that it won't sell much. We're outnumbered, we're a small and yet vocal community but that won't change the numbers for HP and that is what shareholders want. Instead, they are now targeting at students mostly but that doesn't mean that advanced users won't profit from the advanced hardware and software of their new products.

I heard a few people, if I am not mistaken, a guy named Claudio L is leading, are working on a new RPL system. I don't know what it is exctly or if it will involve hardware too, just like they did with the 34S.

Marcio

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)