Crazy good deal on a 50G
02-21-2015, 04:58 PM
Crazy good deal on a 50G
I've been kind of on the fence about getting an HP calculator and switching over to RPN for a couple of months now. I just started school in January and rather than purchase an expensive, student oriented TI-84 I bought a TI-85 for cheap from ebay. I've been looking at the 50g for the future when I'm in more advanced classes.

Well, I just stumbled onto it for sale, new for $50 on amazon. It's sold by a different seller, Cormorant, and fulfilled by amazon so I got prime shipping and everything. I don't know if it's a mistake or they're getting rid of old stock, but it's a heck of a deal!

If you've been looking at a 50g like me, this is a great opportunity.

I'll repost on Tuesday when it arrives to confirm it's legit and if it's the older one with the leather case or the newer, synthetic one. Is there any difference in HW versions between the two?

http://www.amazon.com/HP-HP50G-50g-Graph...rds=hp+50g
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-21-2015, 05:55 PM
RE: Crazy good deal on a 50G
Thanks for the heads-up! I have been waiting for a good deal and ordered one also.
02-22-2015, 09:33 AM
(02-21-2015 04:58 PM)oldmancolin Wrote:  I've been kind of on the fence about getting an HP calculator and switching over to RPN...
You'd be switching to RPL, somewhat different to RPN.
02-22-2015, 09:34 AM
(02-22-2015 09:33 AM)RMollov Wrote:  You'd be switching to RPL, somewhat different to RPN.

Oh yeah!

d:-/
02-22-2015, 04:39 PM
Thanks for the info. I checked Amazon and they say they are selling an improved version of the hP-50G for $50. When I ordered I used a $27+ discount due to me, so the HP-50G cost me under $23! Now that is a deal!

:-)

Namir
02-22-2015, 04:49 PM
What's an improved edition?
02-22-2015, 05:48 PM
(02-22-2015 04:49 PM)lrdheat Wrote:  What's an improved edition?
+1
02-22-2015, 05:52 PM
(02-22-2015 04:49 PM)lrdheat Wrote:  What's an improved edition?

I believe it's improved over the HP 49g+...

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-22-2015, 09:41 PM (This post was last modified: 02-22-2015 09:42 PM by bhtooefr.)
Looks like it was a pricing error, as they're now $80, just like almost everyone else, and the new lowest price is $72 plus $6.83 shipping. The cheapest fulfilled by Amazon is $79.
02-22-2015, 10:20 PM
(02-22-2015 09:41 PM)bhtooefr Wrote:  Looks like it was a pricing error, as they're now $80, just like almost everyone else, and the new lowest price is $72 plus $6.83 shipping. The cheapest fulfilled by Amazon is $79.

Yep. Sorry you missed it. I'm glad I slid in there in time.

Does anyone know if there are different hardware versions of the 50g like there apparently are with the prime?
02-22-2015, 10:24 PM (This post was last modified: 02-22-2015 10:24 PM by bhtooefr.)
I actually saw it in time, but decided not to go for it.

I didn't think there were multiple revisions of the 50g - or rather, that the 50g was itself the third version of the 49g+ hardware (the very late 49g+s having the fixed keyboard specifications that were also used in the 50g).
02-23-2015, 01:33 AM
(02-22-2015 10:20 PM)oldmancolin Wrote:  Does anyone know if there are different hardware versions of the 50g like there apparently are with the prime?
Not only apparently, there are in fact two functionally different hardware revisions of the HP Prime, NW280AA (aka revision A) and G8X92AA (aka revision C). Only the second variant supports wireless connectivity, unit-to-unit communication through USB, and the StreamSmart 410 data logger.

In regard to the HP 50g, there are two variants as well: The standard black version F2229AA and the blue "high-contrast" variant NW240AA. However, they are functionally identical, same keyboard, same display, same batteries, same interfaces. Except for the color, the only difference I could find is in the type of soft case that comes with the calculators.

Greetings,

Matthias

--
"Programs are poems for computers."
02-23-2015, 02:07 AM
Crud!
That one increased while in my shopping card. I put it in yesterday, but hesitated. That s a lesson for me!

Jim D
02-23-2015, 03:36 AM
(02-23-2015 01:33 AM)matthiaspaul Wrote:  Except for the color, the only difference I could find is in the type of soft case that comes with the calculators.

Greetings,

Matthias

Early production 50gs (up until ~3 years ago?) shipped with the leather-like case, while later production Black and Blue models come with the synthetic web-material case.

--Bob Prosperi
02-23-2015, 02:42 PM
(02-22-2015 09:34 AM)walter b Wrote:  
(02-22-2015 09:33 AM)RMollov Wrote:  You'd be switching to RPL, somewhat different to RPN.

Oh yeah!

dUndecided

What is that supposed to mean? Yet another demonstration of sense of humor?
02-23-2015, 03:15 PM
Don't be afraid. It's simply that I sense a significant difference between RPN and RPL - one being a handy tool and the other needing permanent attention. Just my personal view as usual. YMMV

d:-)
02-23-2015, 11:28 PM
RPL's input method is consistent with Entry RPN, not Classic RPN. (That is, typing in a number and hitting Enter puts it onto the stack, but doesn't raise it. Then, entering the next number raises the stack. In Classic RPN, hitting enter puts it onto the stack, raises it, and duplicates it down, and entering the next number replaces it.)

RPL uses an infinite(ish) stack, which has some... implications regarding stack handling. No T level that copies down, and stack operations are more complex.

In my opinion, the RPL machines are more "pure". Operations behave in a more consistent manner, and because the stack is infiniteish, commands that often take operands after the command on a RPN machine (to save stack space - think STO and RCL), take them before the command on an RPL machine.
02-24-2015, 06:12 AM
Well, I just got home and opened the package. It's the Spanish language version that was shipped to me. Maybe that's why it was so cheap? Not that it matters, the flimsy "manuals" included being in a language that I'm not very fluent in is the only drawback. The keyboard is the same and all the menus are in english, of course.

I'll be curious to know what the others who bought one get shipped.
02-24-2015, 06:45 AM
RPN and RPL
Well, I guess bhtooefr wanted to respond here but didn't find the <Quote> button:
(02-23-2015 11:28 PM)bhtooefr Wrote:  In my opinion, the RPL machines are more "pure". Operations behave in a more consistent manner, and because the stack is infiniteish, commands that often take operands after the command on a RPN machine (to save stack space - think STO and RCL), take them before the command on an RPL machine.

Please allow me to quote from the WP 34S manual:
Quote:This is the essence of RPN:
Provide the necessary operands, and then execute the requested operation.

And a major advantage of RPN compared to other calculator operating systems is that it sticks to this basic logic – always.*

* Some people claim this being true for RPL only. Maybe they are even right. In my opinion, however, RPL strains the underlying postfix principle beyond the pain barrier, exceeding the limit where it becomes annoying for human brains. Not for everybody, of course, but also for many scientists and engineers. Thus we stick to classic RPN on the WP 34S.

d:-)
02-24-2015, 09:04 AM (This post was last modified: 12-02-2023 11:07 PM by Gene.)
(02-24-2015 06:45 AM)walter b Wrote:  Well, I guess bhtooefr wanted to respond here but didn't find the <Quote> button:
You keep abusing forum members with your idiotic comments.
If I were a moderator here, I'd kick you out forever.

"You are the most arrogant, egotistic, boastful, grandiose, imperious, overbearing, pretentious, self-centered, self-important, bloated, conceited, flatulent, flaunting, inflated, magniloquent, narcissistic, orotund, overblown, pontifical, pompous, pretentious, puffed up, supercilious, nagging, vainglorious, and windy *** on this site. Actually, you're the only one."

I sign the above with both hands.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)