Source for HP-85 Printer Paper?
02-16-2015, 02:27 PM
Source for HP-85 Printer Paper?
Hello,

after replacing the printer belts in my newly acquired HP 85 I am looking for a source for thermal paper here in Germany or Europe.
Black printing would be o.k., blue of course also.
The original paper has a width of 108 mm (4 1/4 inch) - so far I only found narrower or wider paper. Also most of the avilable paper is on the thin side (55 g/m^2).

I see that I can order paper for $18 per roll from latech but with shipping costs this comes out a bit on the high side. I am sure there must be local sources.

Any recommendations from HP-85 users in Germany or Europe?

Thank you,
Martin
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-16-2015, 07:06 PM
RE: Source for HP-85 Printer Paper?
The Swiss company Diagramma AG claims to have HP-85 printer paper:
Diagramma AG/HP-85

However, you have to ask for prices. I still have original paper rolls in stock so if you don't find reasonable priced replacement rolls send me a PM.
03-04-2015, 10:04 AM
(02-16-2015 07:06 PM)Jurgen Keller Wrote:  The Swiss company Diagramma AG claims to have HP-85 printer paper:
Diagramma AG/HP-85

However, you have to ask for prices. I still have original paper rolls in stock so if you don't find reasonable priced replacement rolls send me a PM.

Jürgen

thank you for the hint - at least a valid option, however their prices are rather steep (10 rolls for 200€ including shipping). I am evaluating alternative solutions, but first I have to fix the tape drive of my HP-85.

Another option to consider would be to tap the electronics and redirect the print stream to a USB device. However this might be difficult without destroying the original historic system.

Martin
03-04-2015, 10:13 PM
(03-04-2015 10:04 AM)Martin Hepperle Wrote:  
(02-16-2015 07:06 PM)Jurgen Keller Wrote:  The Swiss company Diagramma AG claims to have HP-85 printer paper:
Diagramma AG/HP-85

thank you for the hint - at least a valid option, however their prices are rather steep (10 rolls for 200€ including shipping).

Ouch! That's indeed too expensive.

This eBay auction also offers replacement thermal paper, however, it's in the same price range.
03-05-2015, 02:06 AM
(03-04-2015 10:04 AM)Martin Hepperle Wrote:  Another option to consider would be to tap the electronics and redirect the print stream to a USB device.

Could you stream data to a PIL-Box with an HP-IL interface?
03-05-2015, 07:19 PM
(03-05-2015 02:06 AM)Dave Frederickson Wrote:  
(03-04-2015 10:04 AM)Martin Hepperle Wrote:  Another option to consider would be to tap the electronics and redirect the print stream to a USB device.

Could you stream data to a PIL-Box with an HP-IL interface?

I think that should work. At least it works, for example, with printers compatible with the HP-85 HP-IL interface, e.g., the 82162A. You have to type:

PRINTER IS 90X

where X is is the device address (1 if the printer is the only device in the loop). You can also set the print width just for the case your printer supports wider output (like the ThinkJet does). However, don't expect that COPY works. It will still dump the the screen's content to the HP-85 printer.
05-19-2015, 01:24 PM
Dear All,

to conclude this thread I dare to insert a shameless advertisment here for those who are also looking for paper for their HP-85 printer.

Under http://www.mh-aerotools.de/hp/sale/ I offer some newly manufactured printer paper which I now have available.

Regards,
Martin

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)