My HP 42S Find and Some Questions
02-03-2015, 04:18 AM (This post was last modified: 02-03-2015 12:40 PM by Sanjeev Visvanatha.)
My HP 42S Find and Some Questions
Being a bit thrifty, I have been on the hunt for a good quality 42S, but not at an outrageous price.

Last week, I found what looked like a good condition 42S with an ASTECH Industries hard case at a very low "Buy it Now" price. The item was just listed a few minutes before.

Needless to say, this was my chance, so I immediately bought it without asking any questions.

Now having the calculator in my hand, I have some questions/observations. Hopefully someone may be to clarify:

1. The ASTECH case - how many rubber feet should it have? This unit has one strip near the bottom of the case when in the open position.

2. The faceplate of the 42S is almost flush to the plastic case on the left side of the LCD. There is no creasing of the faceplate. The faceplate does move to the expected position with very light force. Is that normal, or does it indicate some tinkering?

3. There is a sticker on the back: "International Calc/Comp", which looks like it has been on the unit for a long time. That company appears to be a reseller of HP products. Could this indicate anything unusual or special of the unit's history? The seller did not provide any ownership history.

4. What is the safest way to clean the faceplate?

Thank you.

-- Sanjeev Visvanatha
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-03-2015, 04:22 PM
RE: My HP 42S Find and Some Questions
(02-03-2015 04:18 AM)Sanjeev Visvanatha Wrote:  2. The faceplate of the 42S is almost flush to the plastic case on the left side of the LCD. There is no creasing of the faceplate. The faceplate does move to the expected position with very light force. Is that normal, or does it indicate some tinkering?

Thank you.

A slight detachment of the faceplate on either side of the LCD is normal -- most of the 42S calculators still extant have suffered some detachment of the adhesive near the screen since they were manufactured ~25 years ago. There is no realistic way to get to the internals of the 42S through the faceplate, so this probably does not indicate tinkering.

I recommend cleaning carefully with a microfiber cloth and a gentle cleansing solution of the type you might use for a computer screen. Don't clean with a dry cloth, or with a moistened paper towel -- if you do, you will leave fine scratches.

John
02-03-2015, 07:41 PM
(02-03-2015 04:18 AM)Sanjeev Visvanatha Wrote:  Being a bit thrifty, I have been on the hunt for a good quality 42S, but not at an outrageous price.

Last week, I found what looked like a good condition 42S with an ASTECH Industries hard case at a very low "Buy it Now" price. The item was just listed a few minutes before.

Needless to say, this was my chance, so I immediately bought it without asking any questions.

Now having the calculator in my hand, I have some questions/observations. Hopefully someone may be to clarify:

1. The ASTECH case - how many rubber feet should it have? This unit has one strip near the bottom of the case when in the open position.

2. The faceplate of the 42S is almost flush to the plastic case on the left side of the LCD. There is no creasing of the faceplate. The faceplate does move to the expected position with very light force. Is that normal, or does it indicate some tinkering?

3. There is a sticker on the back: "International Calc/Comp", which looks like it has been on the unit for a long time. That company appears to be a reseller of HP products. Could this indicate anything unusual or special of the unit's history? The seller did not provide any ownership history.

Thank you.

Sanjeev - Suggest posting a photo or two, it will be much easier to reply accurately. Phrases like 'faceplate', 'almost' and 'creasing' are subjective and very hard to give good advice when we may be thinking of one part and you another.

I agree with most of John R's comments, but don't think it's fair to say that "most" 42s have had this failure - it totally depends on how they were treated in the agreeably long time since made. I have a 42S from the day they were available at EduCalc, in use since then (i.e. not stored), with none of these type issues.

--Bob Prosperi
02-03-2015, 07:47 PM
(02-03-2015 07:41 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  
(02-03-2015 04:18 AM)Sanjeev Visvanatha Wrote:  Being a bit thrifty, I have been on the hunt for a good quality 42S, but not at an outrageous price.

Thank you.

Sanjeev - Suggest posting a photo or two, it will be much easier to reply accurately. Phrases like 'faceplate', 'almost' and 'creasing' are subjective and very hard to give good advice when we may be thinking of one part and you another.

I agree with most of John R's comments, but don't think it's fair to say that "most" 42s have had this failure - it totally depends on how they were treated in the agreeably long time since made. I have a 42S from the day they were available at EduCalc, in use since then (i.e. not stored), with none of these type issues.

What form of storage would you recommend?
02-03-2015, 08:05 PM (This post was last modified: 02-03-2015 08:06 PM by rprosperi.)
(02-03-2015 07:47 PM)Gerald H Wrote:  What form of storage would you recommend?

I guess that's about my comment? Assuming so, I just mean that 42S has been used day-to-day, on my desk at work, since I got it. When not actually being used, it's in its slip-case (originally, vinyl; for the past few years, the std Pioneer pleather type).

Not looking for a debate really, just sayin condition depends on handling; look at all the 42S/Pioneer machines on TAS at any given moment; only rarely do you see one with this symptom (or at least rarely are they admitted to in the listing Wink ).

--Bob Prosperi
02-03-2015, 10:09 PM (This post was last modified: 02-03-2015 10:13 PM by John R.)
(02-03-2015 08:05 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  Not looking for a debate really, just sayin condition depends on handling; look at all the 42S/Pioneer machines on TAS at any given moment; only rarely do you see one with this symptom (or at least rarely are they admitted to in the listing Wink ).

I may have misinterpreted the symptom in the original post (and as previously noted, a picture would be very helpful). The symptom I am thinking of is a very slight detachment of the faceplate near the LCD, which is not necessarily related to misuse or abuse, and which would probably not be visible without a closeup photo. But you are right -- there is absolutely a wide spectrum of qualities in vintage 42S (or other) calculators, and most of the variation across that spectrum is related to the use or abuse those calculators have seen since their manufacture.

John
02-03-2015, 11:34 PM
(02-03-2015 04:22 PM)John R Wrote:  A slight detachment of the faceplate on either side of the LCD is normal -- most of the 42S calculators still extant have suffered some detachment of the adhesive near the screen since they were manufactured ~25 years ago. There is no realistic way to get to the internals of the 42S through the faceplate, so this probably does not indicate tinkering.

I recommend cleaning carefully with a microfiber cloth and a gentle cleansing solution of the type you might use for a computer screen. Don't clean with a dry cloth, or with a moistened paper towel -- if you do, you will leave fine scratches.

John - Thank you for your feedback. I believe that you interpreted my vague description correctly. I will post some photos in this thread in a few moments.

I have a microfibre cloth and have mild solutions available that I will try.

-- Sanjeev Visvanatha
02-03-2015, 11:35 PM
(02-03-2015 07:41 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  Sanjeev - Suggest posting a photo or two, it will be much easier to reply accurately. Phrases like 'faceplate', 'almost' and 'creasing' are subjective and very hard to give good advice when we may be thinking of one part and you another.

Point taken regarding the photos. Stand by.

-- Sanjeev Visvanatha
02-03-2015, 11:41 PM (This post was last modified: 02-03-2015 11:54 PM by Sanjeev Visvanatha.)
Here are some photos. Sorry, I have should have included some with my initial posting.

The symptom is not visible in the first photo.

-- Sanjeev Visvanatha
02-03-2015, 11:45 PM
And here is a photo of the Astech case, showing the back side when opened. There is a single rubber foot at the bottom. Is that the only one that is supposed to be on the unit?

-- Sanjeev Visvanatha
02-04-2015, 12:03 AM
(02-03-2015 11:41 PM)Sanjeev Visvanatha Wrote:  Here are some photos. Sorry, I have should have included some with my initial posting.

Sanjeev -- thanks for posting the photos. This does look like the effect I was thinking of, though unfortunately the magnitude looks much greater here than usual. When I have seen it before, it has typically been barely noticeable.

This problem is not uncommon for Pioneers (although as Bob points out, perhaps my original assessment that it affects "most" of them is inaccurate). You could probably fix it by carefully introducing some adhesive (maybe 3M Super77?) under the faceplate, but I've never actually tried this on any of the units i have come across with this problem....

John
02-04-2015, 01:35 AM
(02-03-2015 11:45 PM)Sanjeev Visvanatha Wrote:  And here is a photo of the Astech case, showing the back side when opened. There is a single rubber foot at the bottom. Is that the only one that is supposed to be on the unit?

My Astech case has one rubber foot. It is in the exact same location as the one in your photo.

John
02-04-2015, 01:43 AM
(02-03-2015 11:41 PM)Sanjeev Visvanatha Wrote:  Here are some photos. Sorry, I have should have included some with my initial posting.

The symptom is not visible in the first photo.

Agree with John, this is worse than I've seen in most where I've noticed it. Also, we both correctly interpreted the problem, so I guess your description was pretty good after all. Though pics do help express the extent.

Is the problem with bezel lifting strictly cosmetic? e.g. does the glass cover over the LCD move with it - does the image change when you press the bezel down into the groove as intended?

If not, then it probably can be simply, but carefully, glued down, using minimal glue to avoid running. I don't know 3m Super77, but can also suggest JB Weld - which is also quite 'thick' and won't run. I'd use slow curing glue and leave something heavy (or a mild clamp) to hold the bezel all the way "in" while curing. Let it cure for a full 24 hours.

Geoff - Other suggestions??

(02-03-2015 11:45 PM)Sanjeev Visvanatha Wrote:  And here is a photo of the Astech case, showing the back side when opened. There is a single rubber foot at the bottom. Is that the only one that is supposed to be on the unit?

The Astech case in your photo looks correct. Exactly the same as mine, there is only the 1 small strip of 'rubber' as anti-skid so it wont slide when you use the case opened as a desk-stand. I also have one with this strip missing, been looking for some material to replace that. Suggestions anyone?

--Bob Prosperi
02-04-2015, 01:59 AM (This post was last modified: 02-04-2015 02:00 AM by Sanjeev Visvanatha.)
(02-04-2015 12:03 AM)John R Wrote:  ...
You could probably fix it by carefully introducing some adhesive (maybe 3M Super77?) under the faceplate, but I've never actually tried this on any of the units i have come across with this problem....

Thank you for the suggestion and for confirming the correct number of rubber feet on the case. Using a spray adhesive concerns me. I am just not sure if I could get a nozzle under the faceplate, and also spraying too much into a small space.

-- Sanjeev Visvanatha
02-04-2015, 02:10 AM
(02-04-2015 01:59 AM)Sanjeev Visvanatha Wrote:  Using a spray adhesive concerns me. I am just not sure if I could get a nozzle under the faceplate, and also spraying too much into a small space.

Whatever you do, you may want to consider covering the active area of the display with painters tape to avoid applying anything which might mess up the working display area.

Good luck!

-Jonathan
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-04-2015, 02:12 AM
(02-04-2015 01:43 AM)rprosperi Wrote:  Agree with John, this is worse than I've seen in most where I've noticed it. Also, we both correctly interpreted the problem, so I guess your description was pretty good after all. Though pics do help express the extent.

Is the problem with bezel lifting strictly cosmetic? e.g. does the glass cover over the LCD move with it - does the image change when you press the bezel down into the groove as intended?

If not, then it probably can be simply, but carefully, glued down, using minimal glue to avoid running. I don't know 3m Super77, but can also suggest JB Weld - which is also quite 'thick' and won't run. I'd use slow curing glue and leave something heavy (or a mild clamp) to hold the bezel all the way "in" while curing. Let it cure for a full 24 hours.

Geoff - Other suggestions??

The Astech case in your photo looks correct. Exactly the same as mine, there is only the 1 small strip of 'rubber' as anti-skid so it wont slide when you use the case opened as a desk-stand. I also have one with this strip missing, been looking for some material to replace that. Suggestions anyone?

It is purely cosmetic. There is no noticeable difference in the display when pressing down the corner. This is a recessed LCD model - is there a glass over the LCD as well?

JB Weld seems rather heavy duty - a steel reinforced epoxy! Let me think about how much it bothers me. I can live with the issue as-is. I just wanted to see what others' experience was in this regard. For the price I paid, I should not be complaining! Other than this, I cannot really see anything wrong with the unit, considering its age, and the fact that it appears to have been actually used during its lifetime.

As for the Astech case, the rubber foot is rather hard now, and does not provide much in the way of 'anti-skid'. I may be in the market to replace that with something new. Again, nothing that bothers me immediately.

-- Sanjeev Visvanatha
02-04-2015, 02:14 AM
(02-04-2015 02:10 AM)Jonathan Cameron Wrote:  Whatever you do, you may want to consider covering the active area of the display with painters tape to avoid applying anything which might mess up the working display area.

Yes, this is what concerns me with the spray. Thanks for the suggestion on using painters tape, Jonathan.

-- Sanjeev Visvanatha
02-05-2015, 05:42 PM
(02-03-2015 04:22 PM)John R Wrote:  I recommend cleaning carefully with a microfiber cloth and a gentle cleansing solution of the type you might use for a computer screen. Don't clean with a dry cloth, or with a moistened paper towel -- if you do, you will leave fine scratches.

John - I took your advice and used a microfibre cloth with a gentle cleansing solution. The results are terrific. Not a scratch, and the faceplate is looking newish.

-- Sanjeev Visvanatha
02-06-2015, 02:50 AM
(02-05-2015 05:42 PM)Sanjeev Visvanatha Wrote:  John - I took your advice and used a microfibre cloth with a gentle cleansing solution. The results are terrific. Not a scratch, and the faceplate is looking newish.

Sure thing! I'm glad you got it looking good. Enjoy your 42S!

John

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)