Fraudulent HP-41CY auction on eBay.de
01-27-2015, 08:21 PM
Fraudulent HP-41CY auction on eBay.de
I was just warned about a fraudulent auction on eBay.de. The guy claims to sell an HP-41CY. However, the auction text as well as all the pictures are stolen from another auction ended in Oct, 2014.

Current (fraudulent) auction

Auction from Oct, 2014

The auction was already reported to eBay. Let's hope they remove the listing.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-27-2015, 08:36 PM
RE: Fraudulent HP-41CY auction on eBay.de
Thanks for the warning. I just wonder, isn't it possible that this is the same unit being now sold by the buyer of the first auction, and that he's using the same pictures?
That wouldn't be a fraudulent action per se, but an unfortunate choice of photos (new ones would certainly have been the right thing to do)/
01-27-2015, 08:55 PM
(01-27-2015 08:36 PM)Ángel Martin Wrote:  Thanks for the warning. I just wonder, isn't it possible that this is the same unit being now sold by the buyer of the first auction, and that he's using the same pictures?
That wouldn't be a fraudulent action per se, but an unfortunate choice of photos (new ones would certainly have been the right thing to do)/

No, I was in contact with the seller from the 2014 auction, and he was notified by the buyer (who still owns the calculator).
01-30-2015, 07:26 PM
(01-27-2015 08:55 PM)Jurgen Keller Wrote:  
(01-27-2015 08:36 PM)Ángel Martin Wrote:  Thanks for the warning. I just wonder, isn't it possible that this is the same unit being now sold by the buyer of the first auction, and that he's using the same pictures?

No, I was in contact with the seller from the 2014 auction, and he was notified by the buyer (who still owns the calculator).

I contacted the seller via ebay. He answered and says, thats wrong. He owns the calculator and can show me more pictures on webcam.

Who is right?
01-30-2015, 07:37 PM
Because he did not put the hp pictures he is selling?

Systems Analyst
48G+/58C/85B/PC1500A
TH-78A/DooGee S9
Focal & All Basic´s
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-31-2015, 07:17 AM
I asked the seller if the pictures were from the actual item a few days ago. No response. This is suspicious to say the least, I'm not bidding on a CY without seeing the real article in as much detail as possible.
01-31-2015, 05:01 PM
(01-30-2015 07:26 PM)PANAMATIK Wrote:  
(01-27-2015 08:55 PM)Jurgen Keller Wrote:  No, I was in contact with the seller from the 2014 auction, and he was notified by the buyer (who still owns the calculator).
I contacted the seller via ebay. He answered and says, thats wrong. He owns the calculator and can show me more pictures on webcam.

And did you see pictures from the webcam?

Why did he (exactly) copy another auction, including pictures and text? I asked him this question and didn't get an answer.

Please note that other auctions of this seller contain copied text/pictures, too. Here is an example:
Cannondale F29 Carbon 3 (from Mid December 2014)
Current Cannondale auction (same pictures, same text)

Although eBay is informed they didn't take any action. Well, money rules the world!
01-31-2015, 06:13 PM
FWIW, I can only see one picture in the old bike auction. This reappears in the new one. Anyway, I'll never buy a bike featuring an asymmetric fork. Sad

And that CY is over my budget ...

d:-I
01-31-2015, 11:04 PM
(01-31-2015 05:01 PM)Jurgen Keller Wrote:  And did you see pictures from the webcam?

Why did he (exactly) copy another auction, including pictures and text? I asked him this question and didn't get an answer.

"Sold" for 405 Euro!

I didn't see webcam pictures. I asked also a second time why he uses the same picture and didn't get an answer.

Yesterday he "sold" an HP-01 for more than 550 Euro, very nice.

But how did he get 97.3 % positive rating?

Bernhard
02-01-2015, 08:30 PM
By the way he sold the calculator for half the price of the other previous auction final price, better...for less than a half!
02-01-2015, 08:32 PM (This post was last modified: 02-01-2015 08:33 PM by aurelio.)
(01-31-2015 05:01 PM)Jurgen Keller Wrote:  
(01-30-2015 07:26 PM)PANAMATIK Wrote:  I contacted the seller via ebay. He answered and says, thats wrong. He owns the calculator and can show me more pictures on webcam.

And did you see pictures from the webcam?

Please note that other auctions of this seller contain copied text/pictures, too. Here is an example:

Although eBay is informed they didn't take any action. Well, money rules the world!

Hi Jurgen, maybe he's lazy or just he likes so much copy and paste activity..... Smile
02-01-2015, 09:07 PM
(02-01-2015 08:32 PM)aurelio Wrote:  
(01-31-2015 05:01 PM)Jurgen Keller Wrote:  And did you see pictures from the webcam?

Hi Jurgen, maybe he's lazy or just he likes so much copy and paste activity..... Smile

From Thursday to Saturday he made 23'500 EUR on eBay. Not bad for a lazy guy.
02-01-2015, 09:24 PM (This post was last modified: 02-01-2015 10:19 PM by walter b.)
(02-01-2015 09:07 PM)Jurgen Keller Wrote:  
(02-01-2015 08:32 PM)aurelio Wrote:  Hi Jurgen, maybe he's lazy or just he likes so much copy and paste activity..... Smile

Please enlighten me - I don't quite get it: does he own the items he sells? If true, what's wrong with it? Abusing old photos isn't correct but I wouldn't call it a crime ... What do I miss?

d:-?

(Edited to correct a typo in a foreign language.)
02-01-2015, 09:24 PM
(02-01-2015 09:07 PM)Jurgen Keller Wrote:  
(02-01-2015 08:32 PM)aurelio Wrote:  Hi Jurgen, maybe he's lazy or just he likes so much copy and paste activity..... Smile

What did he sell to make that bunch of money?
02-01-2015, 10:05 PM
(02-01-2015 09:24 PM)walter b Wrote:  
(02-01-2015 09:07 PM)Jurgen Keller Wrote:  From Thursday to Saturday he made 23'500 EUR on eBay. Not bad for a lazy guy.

Please enlighten me - I don't quite get it: does he own the items he sells? If true, that's wrong with it? Abusing old photos isn't correct but I wouldn't call it a crime ... What do I miss?

It is just that this is a little suspicious thing.... it is a 5 month old account on ebay, that never sold anything over 100 euro until this weekend... that he sold items for 23.000!

this attitude is the prototype of how scammers work on ebay... I'm not saying he is one but....
02-02-2015, 12:06 PM
(02-01-2015 09:24 PM)walter b Wrote:  
(02-01-2015 09:07 PM)Jurgen Keller Wrote:  From Thursday to Saturday he made 23'500 EUR on eBay. Not bad for a lazy guy.

Please enlighten me - I don't quite get it: does he own the items he sells? If true, what's wrong with it? Abusing old photos isn't correct but I wouldn't call it a crime ... What do I miss?

(Edited to correct a typo in a foreign language.)

The seller does for sure not own the 41CY he advertised, i.e., the calculator with the serial number given in the auction text. The reason is that the buyer from the Oct 2014 auction still owns it. We don't know if the seller owns a 41CY as he didn't respond to such questions.

Many (if not all) auctions that this seller did last week were copies of earlier auctions, all with items that are expected to sell for many hundreds of EUROs, summing up to quite some money. The systematic approach seems fishy to me but maybe I'm just to pessimistic. Let's see how the deals work out.
02-02-2015, 01:04 PM (This post was last modified: 02-02-2015 01:06 PM by PANAMATIK.)
(02-02-2015 12:06 PM)Jurgen Keller Wrote:  Many (if not all) auctions that this seller did last week were copies of earlier auctions, all with items that are expected to sell for many hundreds of EUROs, summing up to quite some money. The systematic approach seems fishy to me but maybe I'm just to pessimistic. Let's see how the deals work out.

Yesterday he did not have any items to sell, but within minutes in the evening he has made many new photos and texts. Now there are again many interesting items. An original oil painting by Jawlensky. Unfortunately no more HP calculator Sad

Don't you see it. The seller is a virtual bot. This was just another psychological test that big players play with its members, facebook did that before. ebay wants to test member reactions and will pay back honestly any money paid. That's why the account still has 97,3 % positive rating.

But there is one frequently visited website, that don't play ever with its members Smile

Bernhard
02-03-2015, 02:33 PM
(02-02-2015 01:04 PM)PANAMATIK Wrote:  Yesterday he did not have any items to sell, but within minutes in the evening he has made many new photos and texts. Now there are again many interesting items. An original oil painting by Jawlensky. Unfortunately no more HP calculator Sad

Yes, really expensive items, and all of the are "copied adds". Its a pity that even after the advise, e-bay don't do anything against sellers like this. Thisgs like these make other buyers lose confidence in the system.

(02-02-2015 01:04 PM)PANAMATIK Wrote:  Don't you see it. The seller is a virtual bot. This was just another psychological test that big players play with its members, facebook did that before. ebay wants to test member reactions and will pay back honestly any money paid. That's why the account still has 97,3 % positive rating.

It would be nice it it was like that, but I'm afraid he is just another scammer...
02-03-2015, 07:58 PM
(01-31-2015 05:01 PM)Jurgen Keller Wrote:  Please note that other auctions of this seller contain copied text/pictures, too. Here is an example:

If you look at his feedback, apparently someone already posted negative feedback on the cannondale bike

Graph 3D | QPI | SolveSys
02-03-2015, 10:24 PM
(02-03-2015 07:58 PM)Han Wrote:  
(01-31-2015 05:01 PM)Jurgen Keller Wrote:  Please note that other auctions of this seller contain copied text/pictures, too. Here is an example:

If you look at his feedback, apparently someone already posted negative feedback on the cannondale bike

Thanks for the notification. It looks like my fears come true. Let's hope that all his buyers are careful and nobody will suffer.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)