HP-41 Bad ALPHA Key (not sticky)
01-24-2015, 09:45 AM
HP-41 Bad ALPHA Key (not sticky)
Guess it was inevitable but one of the old soldiers is showing signs of decay:

a bad ALPHA key, that does the toggle click and has no sticky problems but it doesn't "register", i.e. you must press harder (after the click) to get the contact to happen.

I already tried soaking it on Isopropyl Alcohol but to no avail. Any ideas for a realistic repair on that one?

Thanks,
'AM
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-24-2015, 09:52 AM
RE: HP-41 Bad ALPHA Key (not sticky)
The answer is in The Book.

Geoff... :)

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-25-2015, 12:10 AM
Just saw this.

DEOXIT gold introduced through the pinhole associated with the switch.

See this posting!

http://www.hpmuseum.org/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/...869#217869

Geoff
01-25-2015, 09:46 AM
Thanks Geoff, I just ordered some. Will let you know how it goes.

Best,
'AM
01-25-2015, 01:46 PM
(01-25-2015 12:10 AM)Geoff Quickfall Wrote:  Just saw this.

DEOXIT gold introduced through the pinhole associated with the switch.

See this posting!

http://www.hpmuseum.org/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/...869#217869

Geoff
Geoff -

DeoxIT comes in a variety of strengths (5% - 100%) and applicator styles - which have you found works best for work on calcs? Simple tube, precision oiler, needle-tip, etc?

--Bob Prosperi
01-25-2015, 02:56 PM
Simple tube of the gold conditioner.

Still using the screwdriver, thanks Bob.

:-)
01-28-2015, 12:15 AM
My old CV has exactly the same problem, ALPHA is not clicking ON/OFF without special pressure from my thumb nail, it upsets any normal quick program writing horribly.

I was going to update to a CL, but now unless I find an answer to this problem I wouldn't bother with it - as its to faulty to work right.
DA
01-28-2015, 06:35 AM (This post was last modified: 01-28-2015 06:35 AM by Ángel Martin.)
Let's see if the DeOXIt trick works - I'm still waiting for the parcel to arrive, a few more days I reckon.

BTW are you the author of FOG, from PPCJ V12N5 p3? You may like to know it's included in the PowerCL and PwrCl Extreme modules - in case you weren't aware of it.
Cheers,
'AM
01-29-2015, 12:32 AM
(01-28-2015 06:35 AM)Ángel Martin Wrote:  Let's see if the DeOXIt trick works - I'm still waiting for the parcel to arrive, a few more days I reckon.

BTW are you the author of FOG, from PPCJ V12N5 p3? You may like to know it's included in the PowerCL and PwrCl Extreme modules - in case you weren't aware of it.
Cheers,
'AM
Hi Angel, Yes I'm that guy. I did already see the entry in your manual, so I was aware that I had been included. Thanks for considering the RPN & Mcode as a valid entry. Though I must say I only passed on the work from an old CP/M program called SCRAMBLE.com, my part is adapting it to the 41.
Encrypt/Decrypt software is used lots nowadays for security purposes, so we have reached the modern era with a worthwhile piece of software applied via the CL.
DA
02-21-2015, 03:40 AM
hey Angel, is there any success with the ALPHA KEY clicking yet? I was wondering if you found a way around the problem, don't keep us in the dark!
DA
02-21-2015, 07:30 AM
The machine is still on sick bay waiting for the treatment. Partially me being reticent to mess it up during the operation (those darn screw posts...), partially because of a cold that has me even clumsier than usual...

Low and behold, my second unit is now showing the same identical symptom on the USER key - so it's no point in denial... I may bite the bullet this week-end, will let you know.
02-22-2015, 12:24 AM
Golly, I seem to remember that the keys were tested for 100,000 or was it a million? keypresses - that means how many times you have used that key? doubled.
DA
05-28-2016, 11:56 PM
Angel,

Any update on this? I have a similar issue with the USER key not registering at all and the ON key sometimes not registering.

Thanks,
Art

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)