New Power Casio
03-16-2015, 08:52 PM
RE: New Power Casio
Is any Casio Classwiz emulator released yet?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-17-2015, 11:57 AM
(03-16-2015 12:09 AM)rprosperi Wrote:  
(03-15-2015 10:40 PM)JimP Wrote:  This is all very nice (spreadsheet etc.) -- but you would think, in this day and age, that at least one calculator company would include the TVM functions as part of a standard package. Students (and non-students alike!) are for the most part going to encounter interest, loan, mortgage calculations etc. sooner or later, and that these will have long term use beyond the myriad of probability functions and statistical distributions. (No, I'm not saying get rid of them! Just add more useful stuff!)

TVM is available in the 12C, 12C Platinum, 17BII+, 50g and Prime, all current models in HP's line. Did you mean another calculator company?

I meant Casio, Sharp, and TI. Not talking about graphing calculators, just scientific ones that are often used in schools and allowed for exams. The HP models are fine but 12C and 17BII+ don't do trig either. The old HP 27 and HP 27S models ("do everything") were on the right track. Just trying to understand why it's not a priority to add the very useful TVM functions to a full-bore scientific non-graphic calculator like the Ti-36X Pro or this new Casio model.
03-17-2015, 12:10 PM
(03-17-2015 11:57 AM)JimP Wrote:  
(03-16-2015 12:09 AM)rprosperi Wrote:  TVM is available in the 12C, 12C Platinum, 17BII+, 50g and Prime, all current models in HP's line. Did you mean another calculator company?

I meant Casio, Sharp, and TI. Not talking about graphing calculators, just scientific ones that are often used in schools and allowed for exams. The HP models are fine but 12C and 17BII+ don't do trig either. The old HP 27 and HP 27S models ("do everything") were on the right track. Just trying to understand why it's not a priority to add the very useful TVM functions to a full-bore scientific non-graphic calculator like the Ti-36X Pro or this new Casio model.

I agree the 27 and 27S were on the right track and it's a shame no mfr followed up with better versions of scientific machines with basic finance support. I imagine the reason is the class of machines you are describing are aimed at High School Math where there is no TVM I'm aware of. I know two HS Math Teachers and have asked about this exact topic, both said there is nothing at all in their (State mandated) curriculum.

--Bob Prosperi
03-17-2015, 08:48 PM
(03-17-2015 11:57 AM)JimP Wrote:  
(03-16-2015 12:09 AM)rprosperi Wrote:  TVM is available in the 12C, 12C Platinum, 17BII+, 50g and Prime, all current models in HP's line. Did you mean another calculator company?

What about Texas Instruments BA II PLUS Calculator?
Or the BAII Plus™ Professional?
It appears that both are on sell on a number of shops, and they feature scientific functions as well.

But what I'm looking for is this classic nice looking Texas Instruments BS II from 1991.
I have this fantastic rich featured Texas TI-68 advanced scientific calculator from 1989, and I think the BS II would complement it nicely in any collection.

Jose Mesquita
RadioMuseum.org member

03-18-2015, 06:33 AM
(03-17-2015 08:48 PM)jebem Wrote:  What about Texas Instruments BA II PLUS Calculator?
Or the BAII Plus™ Professional?
It appears that both are on sell on a number of shops, and they feature scientific functions as well.

But what I'm looking for is this classic nice looking Texas Instruments BS II from 1991.
I have this fantastic rich featured Texas TI-68 advanced scientific calculator from 1989, and I think the BS II would complement it nicely in any collection.

You make a good point about the BA II Plus/Professional -- but are they allowed in exams? The BS II is a nice looking machine too (albeit not RPN...!) But the thing for me remains -- all the added stuff Casio/Sharp/TI pack into their top-end scientific calculators, with the stats/conversions/formula and equation solvers etc. and now even a mini-spreadsheet -- and not one of them simply adds a TVM mode. It just seems like an obvious add-on.
04-22-2015, 05:46 PM
I think this deserves a special note.
As I see it, CASIO helps school boys and girls around the world to get into mathematics like any other brand these days.

This brand new CASIO fx-991EX Classwiz model will be available in many different interface languages.
As such, it is the first scientific calculator where you can chose Arabic interface.

It is available for some time in Germany under the designation fx-991DE X, sporting German language interface of course and a lot more functions than the ones advertized for the international (English) version.

I'm waiting for the international version, or maybe the Iberia version (Spanish and Portuguese languages) as the setup doesn't include a choice to change the interface language.

Jose Mesquita
RadioMuseum.org member

04-23-2015, 02:34 AM
(03-17-2015 12:10 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  
(03-17-2015 11:57 AM)JimP Wrote:  I meant Casio, Sharp, and TI. Not talking about graphing calculators, just scientific ones that are often used in schools and allowed for exams. The HP models are fine but 12C and 17BII+ don't do trig either. The old HP 27 and HP 27S models ("do everything") were on the right track. Just trying to understand why it's not a priority to add the very useful TVM functions to a full-bore scientific non-graphic calculator like the Ti-36X Pro or this new Casio model.

I agree the 27 and 27S were on the right track and it's a shame no mfr followed up with better versions of scientific machines with basic finance support. I imagine the reason is the class of machines you are describing are aimed at High School Math where there is no TVM I'm aware of. I know two HS Math Teachers and have asked about this exact topic, both said there is nothing at all in their (State mandated) curriculum.

US high school math really needs to adopt basic finance as a graduation requirement. Just simple TVMs and amorts would be plenty for most people. It's pretty uncommon for non-finance types to need to solve irregular cash flows (I never have), but your chances of dealing with some kind of annuity are close to 100%. I don't remember doing much with compound interest in high school apart from brief discussion of periodic compounding and continuous compounding with Pe^(rt). We never once did anything with TVM.

I can understand the basic scientifics not wanting to dedicate the large number of keys needed, but the menu-driven models have no excuse. Does the current incarnation of TI-83/84 have finance built in? I'm pretty sure my Casio fx-9860g Slim does, as does my 48GX, and the Equation Library card adds it to the 48SX. Not sure about Sharp, since I've only got a really old grapher with no finance.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-23-2015, 12:27 PM
(04-23-2015 02:34 AM)Dave Britten Wrote:  Does the current incarnation of TI-83/84 have finance built in?

My TI-84, which is about 10 or 11 years old, does have a FINANCE app which includes TVM. I expect the 83's have it as well.

Yes, I agree, TVM should be taught in high school, before these kids enter the real world.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)