ACT available
07-16-2015, 06:31 PM (This post was last modified: 07-16-2015 06:32 PM by PANAMATIK.)
RE: ACT available
Thank for your congrats. I always like that Smile

(07-16-2015 04:48 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  Very cool, thanks for sharing this, and congrats on accomplishing this feat.

How do you map the much larger 67 keyboard onto the 25?

Good question!

My solution:

If you press the first row HP-25 buttons normally it behaves like pressing the second row buttons of the HP-67. If you press for longer than 1/2 s it invokes Function keys A-E. It is very convenient and easy to use.

Now, as I learned much more about the HP-67 firmware, I think there might be a solution for a direct HP-67 ACT replacement with the existing "new ACT" hardware. The challenge will be the real time requirements of the card reader. Please don't expect me do achieve that very soon, but there is now a chance for it.

Bernhard

That's one small step for a man - one giant leap for mankind.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-16-2015, 07:02 PM
(07-16-2015 06:31 PM)PANAMATIK Wrote:  Thank for your congrats. I always like that Smile

(07-16-2015 04:48 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  Very cool, thanks for sharing this, and congrats on accomplishing this feat.

How do you map the much larger 67 keyboard onto the 25?

Good question!

My solution:

If you press the first row HP-25 buttons normally it behaves like pressing the second row buttons of the HP-67. If you press for longer than 1/2 s it invokes Function keys A-E. It is very convenient and easy to use.

Now, as I learned much more about the HP-67 firmware, I think there might be a solution for a direct HP-67 ACT replacement with the existing "new ACT" hardware. The challenge will be the real time requirements of the card reader. Please don't expect me do achieve that very soon, but there is now a chance for it.

Bernhard

Long-press - I agree an easy and intuitive solution. Thanks for clarifying.

--Bob Prosperi
07-16-2015, 08:46 PM
Eric R., get your vinyl overlay machine running, we need overlays for the 25 to emulate the 67, holy cow! Were will this stop batman!

:-)
07-16-2015, 11:01 PM (This post was last modified: 07-16-2015 11:02 PM by PANAMATIK.)
(07-16-2015 08:46 PM)Geoff Quickfall Wrote:  Eric R., get your vinyl overlay machine running, we need overlays for the 25 to emulate the 67, holy cow! Were will this stop batman!

Hey Superman, I like to have the overlays too? I will ask a friend, who is a professional in art and design, drawing the overlays for HP-67 and HP-34C! I'm sure we will have it soon.

The 67 is a really impressive calculator. Its size, its look and feel is uncomparable. Although the HP-34C has more power in some calculations like solve and integral function, the 67 is still my flagship of the LED calculators. I repaired the card reader of my machine some weeks ago with help of your instructions. Thank you very much!

Now I have the unloved duty to unsolder its ACT for testing the "new ACT". Sad

Bernhard

07-16-2015, 11:21 PM
(07-16-2015 11:01 PM)PANAMATIK Wrote:  Now I have the unloved duty to unsolder its ACT for testing the "new ACT". Sad

Bernhard

To boldly go where no man has gone before!! We're wishing you best luck!

--Bob Prosperi
07-16-2015, 11:44 PM (This post was last modified: 07-16-2015 11:49 PM by Dave Frederickson.)
Emulating the 67 is a hard ACT to follow. Smile
07-17-2015, 01:30 AM
(07-16-2015 08:46 PM)Geoff Quickfall Wrote:  Eric R., get your vinyl overlay machine running, we need overlays for the 25 to emulate the 67, holy cow! Were will this stop batman!

LOL, you're all going to kill me for this:

sooner or later, someone is going to emulate a TI on an HP

Wink

2speed HP41CX,int2XMEM+ZEN, HPIL+DEVEL, HPIL+X/IO, I/R, 82143, 82163, 82162 -25,35,45,55,65,67,70,80
07-17-2015, 01:54 AM
(07-17-2015 01:30 AM)TASP Wrote:  sooner or later, someone is going to emulate a TI on an HP

You mean the AOS Emulator ROM?
07-17-2015, 04:11 AM
That was hysterical !!

But it was all in jest. Someday someone will make the real thing.

2speed HP41CX,int2XMEM+ZEN, HPIL+DEVEL, HPIL+X/IO, I/R, 82143, 82163, 82162 -25,35,45,55,65,67,70,80
07-17-2015, 05:58 AM
(07-17-2015 01:30 AM)TASP Wrote:  LOL, you're all going to kill me for this:

;)

What about a 57 or a 59 on a 48/49?
God save Hrast! :)

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-17-2015, 07:23 AM
(07-17-2015 01:30 AM)TASP Wrote:  LOL, you're all going to kill me for this:

Wink

Not me! But what about emulating the HP-67 on a TI-59? Wink BTW, it has enough buttons.

Bernhard

07-17-2015, 07:31 AM
(07-11-2015 10:11 PM)PANAMATIK Wrote:  19c ? No, if anybody sends a working HP-19c to me I will replace the ACT and read the ROM code. Smile

I've got a 19c I might be tempted to sacrifice for a worthy cause.....

- Pauli
07-17-2015, 09:22 AM (This post was last modified: 07-17-2015 09:25 AM by PANAMATIK.)
(07-17-2015 07:31 AM)Paul Dale Wrote:  
(07-11-2015 10:11 PM)PANAMATIK Wrote:  19c ? No, if anybody sends a working HP-19c to me I will replace the ACT and read the ROM code. Smile

I've got a 19c I might be tempted to sacrifice for a worthy cause.....

- Pauli

This might be an intriguing offer.... Thank you. But I still have another option.

This is my pitiable 19c. It is fully corroded and I don't know whether any chip is to rescue. But I will try this first, if I will have time for it.

[Image: uc?export=view&id=0Bwx8KUfOUL_RNF8tVGRCdWFLZFk][Image: uc?export=view&id=0Bwx8KUfOUL_RbS0wVzR1T0NITWM][Image: uc?export=view&id=0Bwx8KUfOUL_RWldQcS0wS3NXZUE]

If a miracle will happen, I get it repaired and running again sometime. At least it was not expensive and it suits some of my intentions, although I didn't expect this state of damage.

Bernhard

07-17-2015, 10:01 AM (This post was last modified: 07-17-2015 10:02 AM by Harald.)
Hi Bernhard,

I have a partially working 19c that I can ship to you if you like. There is one broken transistor in the printer driver that I didn't get round to fixing properly yet. Which is why it is still taken appart.
Nothing that would stop you from testing your act with it though I guess.

Regards,
Harald

Edit: Just thought this might make more sense then Pauli shipping his 19c arround the world.
07-17-2015, 11:03 AM
(07-17-2015 10:01 AM)Harald Wrote:  Hi Bernhard,

I have a partially working 19c that I can ship to you if you like. There is one broken transistor in the printer driver that I didn't get round to fixing properly yet. Which is why it is still taken appart.
Nothing that would stop you from testing your act with it though I guess.

Regards,
Harald

Edit: Just thought this might make more sense then Pauli shipping his 19c arround the world.

Thanks for your offer. I sent you a PM.

Bernhard

07-17-2015, 12:50 PM
(07-16-2015 08:46 PM)Geoff Quickfall Wrote:  Eric R., get your vinyl overlay machine running, we need overlays for the 25 to emulate the 67

Seriously:

There is an overlay market developing for the Woodstocks now.

I doubt whether too many of us feel the need to operate a Woodstock as HP-67E (too many key remappings IMHO), but I guess any Woodstock owner might be tempted for an New ACT with HP-29 overlays (including "Continuous Memory" I guess ,-) ...

Would Eric be willing? I guess the first thing might be to start a voting process to gauge demand for one or more possible overlay types?

I stand amazed. There are impressive things underway. I see a New ACT HP-97SE with an USB-port on the horizon...
07-17-2015, 05:36 PM
Hello anezter!

I am using a 29e IR on the flight deck. Loaded with 14 dedicated aviation programs and attached to 6 call-able data bases. The printing output is a manual in as much as the program's R/S then print with manual key intervention.

Fortunately I have a 29c that converted easily and can revert back to the original ACT due to the low profile sockets therefore no overlay is required.

However I have a few 25 non continuous that have dead ACTS and faded bezels. To be able to convert them to 67e IR with key and bezel overlay aka WP34s would be incredible. I do not need the power of a graphing calculator, I grew up with RPN line programming (25, 67, 41c). I first saw a calculator tech with LEDs not LCDs. Now all those reasons are mostly based on laziness and sentimentality however, LEDS in a low light background (cockpit at night) simple code and now a 67 in a single handed Woodstock programmed with a thumb on the hand holding the calc :-)

SWEET,

Also I have about 25 custom 67 programs that would fit with 5 open slots; WOW, no more cards and cards readers. I might just give away my 6 restored 67's. (JUST KIDDING).

So I would relabel a faded 25 with a bad ACT into a 67E IR in a flash (count the puns)!

Bernhard, keep it up!
07-17-2015, 11:41 PM
(07-17-2015 05:36 PM)Geoff Quickfall Wrote:  I am using a 29e IR on the flight deck. Loaded with 14 dedicated aviation programs and attached to 6 call-able data bases. The printing output is a manual in as much as the program's R/S then print with manual key intervention.

Fortunately I have a 29c that converted easily and can revert back to the original ACT due to the low profile sockets therefore no overlay is required.

However I have a few 25 non continuous that have dead ACTS and faded bezels. To be able to convert them to 67e IR with key and bezel overlay aka WP34s would be incredible. I do not need the power of a graphing calculator, I grew up with RPN line programming (25, 67, 41c). I first saw a calculator tech with LEDs not LCDs. Now all those reasons are mostly based on laziness and sentimentality however, LEDS in a low light background (cockpit at night) simple code and now a 67 in a single handed Woodstock programmed with a thumb on the hand holding the calc :-)

SWEET,

Also I have about 25 custom 67 programs that would fit with 5 open slots; WOW, no more cards and cards readers. I might just give away my 6 restored 67's. (JUST KIDDING).

So I would relabel a faded 25 with a bad ACT into a 67E IR in a flash (count the puns)!

Bernhard, keep it up!

The HP-67E Ir is now not too far from a release version. I added 10 sets of 8 registers to the original 26 registers, together 106 registers. The number of programs is now 22 ( 22*224 = 4928 program steps). Infrared printing includes printing the program and tracing while manually calculating.

As a cherry on the cake I think I can make the Print X instruction programmable now, so you don't need to invoke Print X manually after R/S. And I know how to show Pause for one second also in fast execution mode.

I will inform here about the HP-67E release version in a few days.

Thanks again for so much positive feedback

Bernhard

07-18-2015, 01:04 PM
(07-17-2015 11:41 PM)PANAMATIK Wrote:  The HP-67E Ir is now not too far from a release version. I added 10 sets of 8 registers to the original 26 registers, together 106 registers. The number of programs is now 22 ( 22*224 = 4928 program steps). Infrared printing includes printing the program and tracing while manually calculating.

As a cherry on the cake I think I can make the Print X instruction programmable now, so you don't need to invoke Print X manually after R/S. And I know how to show Pause for one second also in fast execution mode.

I will inform here about the HP-67E release version in a few days.

Thanks again for so much positive feedback

Bernhard

If you keep this up Bernhard, the value of all of our real HP-67s in our collections will start dropping... Wink

Seriously, please do keep going; I'm looking forward to seeing a whole range of these ACT-enhanced machines in Nashville!

--Bob Prosperi
07-19-2015, 09:10 AM (This post was last modified: 07-19-2015 12:54 PM by PANAMATIK.)
(07-16-2015 04:48 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  How do you map the much larger 67 keyboard onto the 25?

As I described earlier, I implemented a long button press to distinguish between the first and the second row buttons. But I had to abandon this method. The long press was not practical, because the SST button must also have the possibility for long hold down in RUN mode.

You now will access the A-E keys by f prefix hold down together with a first row button and it works perfectly, although single handed use will get more difficult. But it is a much better feel when the buttons react instantly.

Added: Infrared Print -X- and Print STK commands are now programmable! With this achievement the HP-67E comes very close to his big brother the HP-97.

I hope this was one of the last details before the HP-67E could be released.

Bernhard

User(s) browsing this thread: 4 Guest(s)