200LX Hinge Lubricant
09-21-2014, 06:34 PM
200LX Hinge Lubricant
I've a 200LX with a tight right hinge. I understand that some lubricants, like WD40, attack the plastic. I use a paraffin-based bicycle chain lubricant, like White Lightening, on things like 9114 drive mechanisms, folding knives, and squeaky doors and found it to be very versatile but I'm not willing to try it willy-nilly on my 200LX. What is a recommended lube?

Dave
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-24-2014, 01:29 PM
RE: 200LX Hinge Lubricant
Hello,

A few drops of penetrating oil and some Vaseline work for me.

I broke a few hinges in the past until I came up with this mixture.

Remove the hinges. Apply the penetrating oil with a syringe or a dropper, clean the excess. Then apply the Vaseline. Clean out the excess and install the hinges. Turn them a few (up to 10) times to test fit before tightening up the screws.

The same procedure works for laptop hinges as well.

Hope this helps.

Juan
09-24-2014, 03:11 PM
Thanks for the suggestions Mike and Juan.

I want to avoid disassembling the unit so I ended up with Labelle 108 which I picked up at a local hobby shop. It required several drops to eliminate the squeaks. This morning the hinge was a little squeaky. It's better, but I'm considering trying the White Lightening.

Dave
09-25-2014, 01:41 PM
Dave,

I would think that vaseline is a very neutral substance which should have no negative effect on the plastic material.

For my bicycle chain I use a "Teflon dry lube" spray (can be found where you bought your Harley Davidson). This contains Teflon particles suspended in a sort of mild alcohol. The solvent evaporates quickly so that no solvent but only the Teflon particles stay in place. So nothing to drip or sweat out of the lubed parts over time. This could also work with the hinge. Maybe try it on the battery door first to see whether the solvent attacks the plastic.

Martin
09-25-2014, 03:39 PM (This post was last modified: 09-25-2014 03:39 PM by Dave Frederickson.)
(09-25-2014 01:41 PM)Martin Hepperle Wrote:  I would think that vaseline is a very neutral substance which should have no negative effect on the plastic material.

Hi Martin,

I'm not so sure. Vaseline is petroleum-based and I remember being taught in health class not to use Vaseline with things made out of latex. Smile The same may be true for plastic. The Labelle is synthetic and the White Lightening is paraffin-based but the "carrier" is flammable so I'm going to contact the manufacturer to find out if it's safe on plastics. It might be alcohol, like the dry lube. The oil made a tremendous improvement and maybe just working the hinge regularly for a while will quiet it down.

Dave
09-25-2014, 04:02 PM (This post was last modified: 09-26-2014 11:00 AM by Martin Hepperle.)
Dave,

ah yes you are right, I now read wikipedia ... I was fooled by the application to the human body and animals...
There are surely special greases for plastics, like the gears in printers etc. But the question is: what material is used for the hinges and the case (ABS?).
I found this interesting:
http://www.nyelubricants.com/_pdf/1nyeplasticcomp.pdf

Martin
09-30-2014, 11:49 PM
OOC whats a reasonable price for one of these nowadays?

I had had a bid in on one that had a crazy shipping amount(and hence topped my max bid at what I thought that it was worth <$90 or IOW c. $45 max bid, $45 shipping but the bastard cancelled it at the last minute with some kind of excuse because of the shipping cost... so now I'm back @ some similar amt plus a lesser shipping cost(includes manuals Big Grin))
10-01-2014, 01:31 AM
(09-30-2014 11:49 PM)cutterjohn Wrote:  OOC whats a reasonable price for one of these nowadays?

I had had a bid in on one that had a crazy shipping amount(and hence topped my max bid at what I thought that it was worth <$90 or IOW c. $45 max bid, $45 shipping but the bastard cancelled it at the last minute with some kind of excuse because of the shipping cost... so now I'm back @ some similar amt plus a lesser shipping cost(includes manuals Big Grin))

I recently got one with 2MB, that came with all manuals, power adapter, 20MB HP flash PCMCIA card, HP PC Connectivity kit, and a Dictionary application ROM card, all for ~$75, so great deals are out there if you're patient.

Common issues are broken cover latch, loose hinge and loose battery door. Suggest to ask about these before purchasing.

--Bob Prosperi
10-01-2014, 05:31 AM (This post was last modified: 10-08-2014 12:50 AM by Katie Wasserman.)
(10-01-2014 01:31 AM)rprosperi Wrote:  
(09-30-2014 11:49 PM)cutterjohn Wrote:  OOC whats a reasonable price for one of these nowadays?

I had had a bid in on one that had a crazy shipping amount(and hence topped my max bid at what I thought that it was worth <$90 or IOW c. $45 max bid, $45 shipping but the bastard cancelled it at the last minute with some kind of excuse because of the shipping cost... so now I'm back @ some similar amt plus a lesser shipping cost(includes manuals :D))

I recently got one with 2MB, that came with all manuals, power adapter, 20MB HP flash PCMCIA card, HP PC Connectivity kit, and a Dictionary application ROM card, all for ~$75, so great deals are out there if you're patient.

Common issues are broken cover latch, loose hinge and loose battery door. Suggest to ask about these before purchasing.
Thanks, I knew the problems to look for, cracked hinges, etc. but I was quite well PO'ed when the seller cancelled the auction withing hours of it's ending for what he claimed was erroneous shipping cost(which I compensated for in my bid already (I was WINNING)...

[moderator removed inappropriate language]

I'm just PO'ed seriously now... anyways WAY OFFTOPIC now, sorry, but... GGGGGGGGGGGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.... }:D
10-01-2014, 05:55 PM (This post was last modified: 10-08-2014 12:51 AM by Katie Wasserman.)
(10-01-2014 05:31 AM)cutterjohn Wrote:  Thanks, I knew the problems to look for, cracked hinges, etc. but I was quite well PO'ed when the seller cancelled the auction withing hours of it's ending for what he claimed was erroneous shipping cost(which I compensated for in my bid already (I was WINNING)...

I'm just PO'ed seriously now... anyways WAY OFFTOPIC now, sorry, but... GGGGGGGGGGGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.... }Big Grin

Many of us are aware of some unscrupulous eBay sellers. What's this seller's name?
10-07-2014, 10:53 PM (This post was last modified: 10-08-2014 01:12 AM by cutterjohn.)
(10-01-2014 05:55 PM)Dave Frederickson Wrote:  
(10-01-2014 05:31 AM)cutterjohn Wrote:  Thanks, I knew the problems to look for, cracked hinges, etc. but I was quite well PO'ed when the seller cancelled the auction withing hours of it's ending for what he claimed was erroneous shipping cost(which I compensated for in my bid already (I was WINNING)...

I'm just PO'ed seriously now... anyways WAY OFFTOPIC now, sorry, but... GGGGGGGGGGGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.... }:D

Many of us are aware of some unscrupulous eBay sellers. What's this seller's name?
He HAD an EGREGIOUS shipping price so he cancelled it(or that was what he told me, my max already took that into account, but...), but I won it anyways for essentially the same total cost.

He's a pokey shipper though, as I paid up immediately(Saturday IIRC) and it's still not shipped...

Since I actually communicated with this guy though, I'll let him go another day before I submit a negative review.

I give negative ebay reviews IF seller does nothing after 2d of being paid, and I ALWAYS pay IMMEDIATELY(generally <1h of end if it's auction. I don't give a ---- about their rating, if they're selling and I pay up immediately I expect commensurate response. As a case in point I paid up for a workstation the other week immediately(a Friday), waited 4d(Sat/Sun/Mon/Tue) nothing from seller until I (a) contacted ebay and (b) submitted negative review, unsurprisingly seller sprung into frenzied action, I've been there and done that a few times, and I guess that they realize I have zero fear of going to legal recourse and/or leaving poor reviews of course they usually already have received the poor review. That said IF they indicate somehow that they'll be a while, I'm fine with that, it's just the guys that go pay w/in X(and you pay sooner) but nothing happens... that pisses me the hell off, and I don't retract negative reviews unless they come up with a well and truly good sob story(hasn't happened yet).

Just goes also with my not being rated well for paying promptly(which happens fairly often IME)... way offtopic... probably got a good deal... happy(for now) just giving seller more time since he actually COMMUNICATED with me during BOTH auctions... this ain't alibaba after all... i.e. where you might get a pink dildo instead of what you thought that you were buying...

[EDIT]
grr I hate hijacking a thread }:D but it's shipped or at least I got a message from ebay that it's shipped.... oh and it comes with MANUALZ... }:D
[/EDIT]
10-11-2014, 10:40 PM (This post was last modified: 10-12-2014 02:34 AM by cutterjohn.)
...well I won that 200lx and it came via fedex today.

Thing is in almost new condition, as are the manuals, so I guess that I'm a pretty happy camper... now to buy the overlooked CF r/w adapter...

[EDIT]
Well fixed that slight overlooked problem by purchasing a cheap trillion-in-1 flash R/W device.

Do the 200lx qualify as "old" HP computers BTW? I mean I see some posts in here about them(e.g.) but...

Off to hack as much as I can on it until I get my comms mechanism... (I can't believe that I forgot about that...)
[/EDIT]

[EDIT2]
For the curious I got it for c. $60 + ~$12 shipping... I think that, that's not a bad price, but I'm not tracking these really for profit... so the fact that I'm happy with the price for this is all that matters.

Oh and it's REALLY MINTY, looks almost never used, no cracks, no dirt, one minor scratch, minty manuals with all the extra crap even(warranty/survey/etc cards) Probably be better off in a museum, but, IT"S MINE NOW... }:D
[/EDIT2]

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)