Box Plots with Outliers
09-06-2014, 11:01 PM
Box Plots with Outliers
Is it possible for the box plots created by the HP prime to mark outliers as dots? I can't find any evidence of this and nobody seems to be discussing it when I search the forums but for AP Statistics this is a very important feature.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-07-2014, 04:32 AM
RE: Box Plots with Outliers
That is not supported at this time.

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
09-07-2014, 05:29 AM
I'm not sure who reads these posts but as an AP Statistics teacher I want to make a few constructive comments about the HP Prime. Firstly, the advance graphing feature is so incredible and intuitive that I will have a hard time going back to any of my other graphing calculators, including my TI-nspire CX CAS, when it comes to graphing. But I do have concerns about some really bread-and-butter stuff as it pertains to statistics. Not having a "betwee-values" feature for the Normal_cdf or t_cdf or being able to create accurate box-plots which correctly indicate outliers is an absolute deal-breaker. I have been reading a lot of other posts where members have stated "just learn math and you don't need those features." Those sorts of comments only highlight the reason TI is still dominating the education market. HPs need to start looking toward students and with the missing features that I am mentioning, there is no way I would recommend a student purchase an HP Prime. I hope, and am optimistically confident, these issues will be addressed in the near future.
09-07-2014, 08:40 AM (This post was last modified: 09-07-2014 08:42 AM by jebem.)
(09-07-2014 05:29 AM)abressette3141 Wrote:  I'm not sure who reads these posts but as an AP Statistics teacher I want to make a few constructive comments about the HP Prime.

Firstly, the advance graphing feature is so incredible and intuitive that I will have a hard time going back to any of my other graphing calculators, including my TI-nspire CX CAS, when it comes to graphing.

But I do have concerns about some really bread-and-butter stuff as it pertains to statistics.
Not having a "betwee-values" feature for the Normal_cdf or t_cdf or being able to create accurate box-plots which correctly indicate outliers is an absolute deal-breaker.

I have been reading a lot of other posts where members have stated "just learn math and you don't need those features."
Those sorts of comments only highlight the reason TI is still dominating the education market.

HPs need to start looking toward students and with the missing features that I am mentioning, there is no way I would recommend a student purchase an HP Prime.

I hope, and am optimistically confident, these issues will be addressed in the near future.

Excellent way to present positive contributions, I would say!

May I suggest a visit to our unofficial HP Prime Calculator bugs and suggestions?
This idea was initiated by Erwin Ried, so all these suggestions posted everywhere could be summarized in one single place and so would not be lost.

Jose Mesquita
RadioMuseum.org member

09-07-2014, 11:18 PM
Thank you for the response and link. I took the time to post the ideas mentioned above.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)