LOGITECH MARBLE FX TRACKMAN TRACKBALL OPTICAL WIRELESS
12-22-2013, 01:04 PM (This post was last modified: 12-23-2013 07:23 AM by aurelio.)
LOGITECH MARBLE FX TRACKMAN TRACKBALL OPTICAL WIRELESS
This is really off topic!
I have a couple of this optical trackball which I use in place of the ordinary mouse since about ten years, better to say I started with the wired PS2 model (same features), and now actually I use other devices only when I can't do otherwise and with a certain difficulty.
Now, it happens that the one I have on the my desktop at work is dead, at least it seems to be. but it didn't happend suddendly: at the beginning it was workin sometimes and then stop, so that I thought immediately to a interference problem with another device, but it isn't!
Cause I've not found on the web articles, posts, schemes of the circuits or other stuff related to this kind of issues and my instrumentation is actually very poor (I have not any oscilloscope or spectrum analizer to the check even if there is communication or not), like my skill in matter .....I ask if somebody could inspire me about the first tests to perform to check the healt of that very useful (at least for me) device.
Thank-you in advance

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-23-2013, 06:26 PM
RE: LOGITECH MARBLE FX TRACKMAN TRACKBALL OPTICAL WIRELESS
(12-22-2013 01:04 PM)aurelio Wrote:  Now, it happens that the one I have on the my desktop at work is dead, at least it seems to be. but it didn't happend suddendly: at the beginning it was workin sometimes and then stop, so that I thought immediately to a interference problem with another device, but it isn't!
What doesn't work? Does the cursor stop tracking, or do the switches stop clicking?

My Marble FX stopped clicking, but it was easy to find the switches online (http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en...s=SW503-ND) and to replace them.

If the cursor stops tracking, I'm afraid that I can't help.
12-23-2013, 08:40 PM
(12-23-2013 06:26 PM)tjallen Wrote:  
(12-22-2013 01:04 PM)aurelio Wrote:  Now, it happens that the one I have on the my desktop at work is dead, at least it seems to be. but it didn't happend suddendly: at the beginning it was workin sometimes and then stop, so that I thought immediately to a interference problem with another device, but it isn't!
What doesn't work? Does the cursor stop tracking, or do the switches stop clicking?

My Marble FX stopped clicking, but it was easy to find the switches online (http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en...s=SW503-ND) and to replace them.

If the cursor stops tracking, I'm afraid that I can't help.
thank you for your interest, but the problem is the first, the cursor doesn't move at all!
12-24-2013, 04:23 AM
I have several of these*, PS/2, USB, wireless. Lack of cursor has always been due to dirt. There's a ring around the ball with a black spot. That's a hole for you to use a paper clip to rotate the ring, freeing the ball. Wipe out the inside with Q-tips. Reassemble. Use.

*on third reading of the title, I have the Trackman Marble Mouse, with has the marble size ball. I'm not sure which you have, but the larger Trackman Trackball is mechanically similar.
12-24-2013, 12:30 PM
(12-24-2013 04:23 AM)htom trites Wrote:  I have several of these*, PS/2, USB, wireless. Lack of cursor has always been due to dirt. There's a ring around the ball with a black spot. That's a hole for you to use a paper clip to rotate the ring, freeing the ball. Wipe out the inside with Q-tips. Reassemble. Use.

*on third reading of the title, I have the Trackman Marble Mouse, with has the marble size ball. I'm not sure which you have, but the larger Trackman Trackball is mechanically similar.

thank-you very much for the tip, just I'll be back to home I'll ceck!!
12-24-2013, 06:28 PM (This post was last modified: 12-24-2013 06:30 PM by aurelio.)
(12-24-2013 04:23 AM)htom trites Wrote:  I have several of these*, PS/2, USB, wireless. Lack of cursor has always been due to dirt. There's a ring around the ball with a black spot. That's a hole for you to use a paper clip to rotate the ring, freeing the ball. Wipe out the inside with Q-tips. Reassemble. Use.

YOU GAVE ME A XMAS PRESENT!
I did exactly what you said and now it's working fine!
Actually I've tried in the last days to clean it with a cloth, but I was not sure of what I was doing, I was pretty sure it was an electrical problem........but when the path is clear all become easier, when somebody show you the way, like a map...you keep more confidence ....
Before it was like driving in the frog.
thank-you so muchSmile

PS: mine is a marble too!
12-25-2013, 12:21 AM
I'm glad that's what it was. I'm sure eventually there will be more serious failings.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)