DM32 Prototype Unboxing and Introduction (HP 32Sii upgrade)
09-17-2022, 02:14 AM
DM32 Prototype Unboxing and Introduction (HP 32Sii upgrade)
Logan West has a short video on his YouTube channel showing a prototype SwissMicros DM32 Unboxing and Introduction (HP 32Sii upgrade). It looks very clean with its crisp 3-color keyboard printing. Check out this early preview of what is to come.

https://youtu.be/HPAwQXcJUj0

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-17-2022, 10:51 AM
RE: DM32 Prototype Unboxing and Introduction (HP 32Sii upgrade)
Also be sure to look at the in-depth presentation Bob Prosperi did on the DM32 this year at HHC 2022. Even if you don't have a strong interest in the HP 32Sii or DM32, it is a great watch.
The video is available on the hpcalc.org YouTube channel at the following link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kC4qqOmnVUs
09-17-2022, 03:02 PM
(09-17-2022 10:51 AM)Steve Simpkin Wrote:  Also be sure to look at the in-depth presentation Bob Prosperi did on the DM32 this year at HHC 2022. Even if you don't have a strong interest in the HP 32Sii or DM32, it is a great watch.
The video is available on the hpcalc.org YouTube channel at the following link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kC4qqOmnVUs

Thanks for the link. When can I buy one? Smile

Also, I liked the coining of the term "Joe-Horn bugs".
09-17-2022, 10:13 PM (This post was last modified: 09-17-2022 10:15 PM by Maximilian Hohmann.)
Hello,

with great interest I watched both videos in the links above. I admire the effort SwissMicros and some members of this forum have put into the development and presentation of these calculators and I really enjoyed watching the videos.

However, regarding Bob Prosperi's question: "Which HP calculator would you like to see next being made by SwissMicros" my mind turned blank. Literally. As proposed by someone (whom I am afaraid I do not recognise) in the audience, a "blanknut" kind of calculator would appeal to me the most. A powerful machine with plenty of memory, a good keyboard and high-contrast/low power display, that I can customise to my needs. With all the libraries already in place and some tool provided by which the keys can be mapped to pre-programmed or user supplied functions. And some blank sheets of laser-printable sticky vinyl to make one's own keyboard overlay. That would be the SwissMicros calculator of my choice.
But then, I am mostly a collector of calculators, not a user. And the few times I actually use one I prefer the real thing over the best Swiss made reincarnation.

Next in my list would be an HP-25 (the reason is that it is has always been favorite HP calculator) but only with a luminous (OLED) display. Which of course would require a rechargeable battery and probably not doable with the current SM hardware platform.

Regards
Max
Find all posts by this user
09-18-2022, 12:06 AM
(09-17-2022 10:13 PM)Maximilian Hohmann Wrote:  As proposed by someone (whom I am afaraid I do not recognise) in the audience, a "blanknut" kind of calculator would appeal to me the most.
That person was me. Cool
09-18-2022, 08:30 AM
Wow, I'm impressed, so it is confirmed that this is a simulator, not an emulator. Huge works! Which raised some questions not adressed in this video:

1) Where does the SOLVE, INTEG and Fraction algorithms come from, and how do they compared to HP's?
2) Why no STD mode, as said in the video, as this was in the 32SII?
3) Any plan to implement the interesting 35S features, without its bugs and incompatibilities with the 32SII, like one-line complex numbers entry (but while keeping the polar/rectangular conversions), huge number of registers with indirect addressing (but without the I and J concept), constants, storage of temp variables into equations, constants?

It is nice, although Plus42 is what satisfies 99.9% of my needs...
09-18-2022, 11:06 AM
Yes, I love the 32SII, but what I really want is a 35SII.
09-18-2022, 11:22 PM
That would be disappointing if they're leaving out STD mode. That's my display mode of choice on all the scientific Pioneers (except for the situations where engineering mode is the better choice).

It would be really cool if they add the bitwise operators to the BASE menu, though there will be ample program memory to implement these operations in any case.

Here's my suggestion for the UI for local labels and lowercase global labels: use the two shift keys as label prefixes.

Lowercase letters:
Orange, LBL, Orange, a
Orange, GTO, Orange, a
XEQ, Orange, a

Local labels (00-99):
Orange, LBL, Blue, 01
Orange, GTO, Blue, 01
XEQ, Blue, 01

Not totally sure how they should fit into the indirect branching scheme with (i), though. Maybe 27-52 to branch to a-z, and 100-199 to branch to local labels 00-99?
09-19-2022, 12:30 AM
(09-18-2022 08:30 AM)Vincent Weber Wrote:  2) Why no STD mode, as said in the video, as this was in the 32SII?

The DM32 includes all the display modes of the 32Sii, including ALL, which I believe is what you are referring to here as STD mode. I don't recall but maybe I misspoke in the video, or possibly confused folks explaining ALL vs. SHOW; what has changed is the SHOW function now shows all 34 digits of precision in a pop-up window above the normal display, while ALL mode shows only the default full-width display (even though more digits are actually there).

--Bob Prosperi
09-19-2022, 01:25 AM
(09-19-2022 12:30 AM)rprosperi Wrote:  
(09-18-2022 08:30 AM)Vincent Weber Wrote:  2) Why no STD mode, as said in the video, as this was in the 32SII?

The DM32 includes all the display modes of the 32Sii, including ALL, which I believe is what you are referring to here as STD mode. I don't recall but maybe I misspoke in the video, or possibly confused folks explaining ALL vs. SHOW; what has changed is the SHOW function now shows all 34 digits of precision in a pop-up window above the normal display, while ALL mode shows only the default full-width display (even though more digits are actually there).

Ohhh, okay. Whew! Thanks for clarifying. I'm totally fine with ALL/STD/whatever it's called only showing the same precision as the original 32SII, with complete precision revealed by SHOW.
09-19-2022, 05:18 AM
This looks like another good calculator from SwissMicro but of course it has the same cluttered keyboard as the original which would be one of my favorites if not for this.

One thing I'd like to see is the option to use normal fonts instead of a simulation of the original screen on both the DM32 and the DM41X.
09-19-2022, 06:39 AM (This post was last modified: 09-19-2022 08:24 AM by Vincent Weber.)
(09-19-2022 12:30 AM)rprosperi Wrote:  

Many thanks Bob for the clarification. I'm glad that ALL is implemented.
Any comments on my other points? Especially the first one, I'm quite interested to know where the SOLVE/INTEG/Fractions algorithms come from...

Cheers
09-19-2022, 02:37 PM
Does anyone know whether the solve and integration limitations described on page 14-10 of the HP 32SII Owner's Manual will be enforced?
09-19-2022, 07:48 PM
Hi all. Will an iOS version be available?

Thank you
09-19-2022, 09:24 PM
(09-19-2022 07:48 PM)Matt Agajanian Wrote:  Hi all. Will an iOS version be available?

Thank you

No. SwissMicros makes and sells h/w, they have no plans to offer iOS or Android versions of any of their products.

--Bob Prosperi
09-19-2022, 10:51 PM
Well then. From the iOS app store I have downloaded the WP 31s and WP 34s. So, will a WP version of DM 32 be available?
09-19-2022, 11:36 PM
(09-19-2022 10:51 PM)Matt Agajanian Wrote:  Well then. From the iOS app store I have downloaded the WP 31s and WP 34s. So, will a WP version of DM 32 be available?

No. WP-31S and WP-34S are community RPN Scientific Calculator projects originally made to run in the inexpensive HP 20b and 30b business calculators, and in recent years were ported to iOS. The source code for these WP projects is open source; the code for SwissMicros products are not open source or available, with the notable exception of the DM42, since that was based on Thomas Okken's excellent Free42 application, which is GPL2 licensed, thus requiring derivative products also make their source available.

There will be no WP version of the DM32, however some members of the original WP 34S team are working on the 43S project, a very high-end RPN programmable calculator, which I believe will eventually be available on DM hardware as well as several other common platforms, however as development is not complete, I don't think they've finalized which platforms to eventually support. The exact timeline for completion of 43S is not yet clear, but hopefully in 2023!

--Bob Prosperi
09-19-2022, 11:53 PM
It seems I’ll be on the lookout.

Thanks
09-20-2022, 06:32 AM (This post was last modified: 09-20-2022 06:33 AM by Vincent Weber.)
(09-19-2022 11:36 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  the code for SwissMicros products are not open source or available, with the notable exception of the DM42, since that was based on Thomas Okken's excellent Free42 application, which is GPL2 licensed, thus requiring derivative products also make their source available.
From this I conclude that DM32 does not reuse Free42 core portions, for instance for the SOLVE and INTEG algorithms, and that DM32 was written 100% from scratch.

I admire this effort. Free42 took years and years of tireless development. And the equation parser of Plus42 took a lot of time too.
But if I have to trust a simulator, I will have to test it to the bone. Like Joe in your video, Bob Smile the 32SII is reasonably simple, but some part are quite complex, like SOLVE, INTEG, and the Fractions handling (do flags 8 and 9 work as expected in the second version of the ROM, not the first, btw?). The devil is in the details... I think giving us some clues about these algorithms, their limitations and their behaviour on the edges, would be great to build this trust. I am quite amazed that nobody asked this question in the video...

Cheers
09-20-2022, 07:40 AM
(09-20-2022 06:32 AM)Vincent Weber Wrote:  
(09-19-2022 11:36 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  the code for SwissMicros products are not open source or available, with the notable exception of the DM42, since that was based on Thomas Okken's excellent Free42 application, which is GPL2 licensed, thus requiring derivative products also make their source available.

From this I conclude that DM32 does not reuse Free42 core portions, for instance for the SOLVE and INTEG algorithms, and that DM32 was written 100% from scratch.

Just throw a few tricky cases at SOLVE and INTEG, and look at which points are being sampled, that's as good as a fingerprint when it comes to identifying the algorithms used. Smile

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)