Attachments
12-21-2013, 06:21 AM
Attachments
Seems I have to upload my attachments everytime I want to use them, even if I've uploaded them before. The old forum allowed to refer to them multiple times which is obviously more efficient. Maybe I'm missing something ...

:-?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-21-2013, 08:14 AM
RE: Attachments
(12-21-2013 06:21 AM)walter b Wrote:  Seems I have to upload my attachments everytime I want to use them, even if I've uploaded them before. The old forum allowed to refer to them multiple times which is obviously more efficient. Maybe I'm missing something ...

:-?

I don't see why you can just point to the already uploaded attachment. For example I uploaded this some time ago. Just bring up the attachment you previously uploaded and copy the url. It should be in the form:

http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/attachment.php?aid=######

-katie

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-21-2013, 04:36 PM (This post was last modified: 12-21-2013 04:37 PM by Dave Hicks.)
RE: Attachments
Well I liked the old system too but I wrote it. Wink

However, it didn't work like most modern attachment systems and required a few extra steps to just casually post a picture. As a result, besides a few power users (like you) few people used it it much and many didn't know it existed. In fact you may recall one of the questions about about the new forum from an long-time user was whether we would be able to upload images - unlike - presumably the old forum.

So I think the newer system is better for "typical" users.

As Katie mentioned, you can still copy the URL from the attachment manager - which is a lot like using the older system. (Right click "copy Link" is common depending on browser.) The only thing to be aware of is that the image is still attached to the original post, so if you decide to delete a post with an attachment, that may be handy if you want the attachment to go away everywhere, or you may want to just edit the text to say "deleted" if you want to preserve the attachment elsewhere. Again, for the typical user, having the attachment go away with the post is probably a good thing. (Not that I'm suggesting that a bunch of post deleting is a good thing, because I know that bugs people too.)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)