It does not work what am I doing wrong?
01-10-2022, 01:14 PM (This post was last modified: 01-10-2022 01:35 PM by tom234.)
It does not work what am I doing wrong?
        entered the following just like the first image. It just occurred to not work in any of the app functions I used with HP Prime.
It graph nothing on Prime?
I tried this in app's FUNCTION, Advanced Function, and 3D Graphing still nothing.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-10-2022, 02:59 PM
RE: It does not work what am I doing wrong?
Perhaps the workaround (2*x-3)*(x>=-1)*(x<=3) can help you. The "where"-Operator does not seem to work in plot.
Arno
01-10-2022, 03:07 PM
(01-10-2022 02:59 PM)Arno K Wrote:  Perhaps the workaround (2*x-3)*(x>=-1)*(x<=3) can help you. The "where"-Operator does not seem to work in plot.
Arno

The vertical line does not work, It calls the shift+6key and doesn't want to use them in all functions/graphing app's
In CAS/Home.
01-10-2022, 04:12 PM
(01-10-2022 03:07 PM)tom234 Wrote:  
(01-10-2022 02:59 PM)Arno K Wrote:  Perhaps the workaround (2*x-3)*(x>=-1)*(x<=3) can help you. The "where"-Operator does not seem to work in plot.
Arno

The vertical line does not work, It calls the shift+6key and doesn't want to use them in all functions/graphing app's
In CAS/Home.
It looks like Ti CAS can do the graph of this clearly,,, I have looked through the http://www.hp-prime.de/en/category/17-ed...-materials
and found no examples of using the Advanced Graphics menu of ==, <> etc in use.
??????
01-10-2022, 04:54 PM

(01-10-2022 04:12 PM)tom234 Wrote:  
(01-10-2022 03:07 PM)tom234 Wrote:  The vertical line does not work, It calls the shift+6key and doesn't want to use them in all functions/graphing app's
In CAS/Home.
It looks like Ti CAS can do the graph of this clearly,,, I have looked through the http://www.hp-prime.de/en/category/17-ed...-materials
??????
I tried putting in the following formula and nothing happened. It won't even plot this diagram it's ignoring all commands.
I am trying to go back to a more stable OS for Prime.
01-10-2022, 05:14 PM
(01-10-2022 03:07 PM)tom234 Wrote:  
Arno

In CAS/Home.
??????
01-10-2022, 06:36 PM
(01-10-2022 05:14 PM)tom234 Wrote:  
(01-10-2022 03:07 PM)tom234 Wrote:  The vertical line does not work, It calls the shift+6key and doesn't want to use them in all functions/graphing app's
In CAS/Home.
??????

GENERAL CONCLUSION AFTER TRYING TO RESET A NUMBER OF WAYS...IT APPEARS THE LAST UPDATE WITH PYTHON WHICH WAS MENT FOR WINDOWS USERS HAS BRICKED THE HP PRIME FOR ME USING OS MAC.

I WILL LET YOU KNOW HOW THIS IS RESOLVED. I WAITED 30 YEARS FOR HP TO MAKE A COMEBACK WELL IT WAS SHORT AND I DON'T HOLD MUCH HOPE SEEING NO ONE ELSE IS EXPERIENCING THESE PROBLEMS I GUESS MY PERFECT UNIT HAS BEEN BRICKED.
01-11-2022, 05:31 PM (This post was last modified: 01-11-2022 05:35 PM by C.Ret.)
(01-10-2022 01:14 PM)tom234 Wrote:  I tried this in app's FUNCTION, Advanced Function, and 3D Graphing still nothing.

It is not because the expression you enter works with a Texas Instruments that it is expected to be exactly the same on an Hewlett Packard.

The HP Prime, like any other HP calculators are not built to be fully compatible with the syntax and expression used on other calculator brands. Especially true when concerning a competitor such as a TI, for evident and historic reasons ! Smile

(01-10-2022 02:59 PM)Arno K Wrote:  The "where"-Operator does not seem to work in plot.

This is really true. And your workaround is nice. Especially if the function is assume to be zero out of the definition range.

But, there is an easy and direct way of indicating to the HP Prime Function plotter that the function is only defined in a given range : the PIECEWISE instruction.

1. Active the Function Application.
  2. In the Function Symbolic View slot enter the following function definition : PIECEWIZE(-1≤X≤3 , 2*X-3 , ∞)
    Alternatively, press the "Math Template" button and touche the {…if ▫ structure to enter your definition the "Textbook" manner.
  3. Press the Plot button and you will obtained the expected draw (see capture):    

P.S.: I don't understand why or what you reset several times and brick it out ? This way of making is operational since first year of production.
01-11-2022, 05:48 PM
(01-11-2022 05:31 PM)C.Ret Wrote:  
(01-10-2022 01:14 PM)tom234 Wrote:  I tried this in app's FUNCTION, Advanced Function, and 3D Graphing still nothing.

It is not because the expression you enter works with a Texas Instruments that it is expected to be exactly the same on an Hewlett Packard.

The HP Prime, like any other HP calculators are not built to be fully compatible with the syntax and expression used on other calculator brands. Especially true when concerning a competitor such as a TI, for evident and historic reasons ! Smile

(01-10-2022 02:59 PM)Arno K Wrote:  The "where"-Operator does not seem to work in plot.

This is really true. And your workaround is nice. Especially if the function is assume to be zero out of the definition range.

But, there is an easy and direct way of indicating to the HP Prime Function plotter that the function is only defined in a given range : the PIECEWISE instruction.

2. In the Function Symbolic View slot enter the following function definition : PIECEWIZE(-1≤X≤3 , 2*X-3 , ∞)
    Alternatively, press the "Math Template" button and touche the {…if ▫ structure to enter your definition the "Textbook" manner.

P.S.: I don't understand why or what you reset several times and brick it out ? This way of making is operational since first year of production.
Thank you. The text manuals I have seen lead one to believe in the TextBook mode that this can be done with the Where.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

01-11-2022, 05:50 PM
(01-11-2022 05:31 PM)C.Ret Wrote:  

Thank you. The text manuals I have seen lead one to believe in the TextBook mode that this can be done with the Where.
01-11-2022, 06:58 PM
Dear Tom,

(01-11-2022 05:50 PM)tom234 Wrote:  
(01-11-2022 05:31 PM)C.Ret Wrote:  ...

Hi Tom,
in all likelihood the cause of your confusion is the use of an unofficial and clearly outdated website with questionable content.
In your contributions you mentioned the site http://www.hp-prime.de. That site was never an official site from HP. Looking at the so called "impressum", that site is provided from MORAVIA EDUCATION, Olomoucká 1213/83, 627 00 BRNO (CZ).
The content of the page has probably not been updated for a long time, for example the linked programs refer to versions from 2018. It is therefore not very useful to use the content of the page as learning material.
This is my personal opinion.
01-11-2022, 07:11 PM (This post was last modified: 01-11-2022 07:13 PM by tom234.)
(01-11-2022 06:58 PM)Thomas_Sch Wrote:  Dear Tom,

(01-11-2022 05:50 PM)tom234 Wrote:  Thank you. The text manuals I have seen lead one to believe in the TextBook mode that this can be done with the Where.

Hi Tom,
in all likelihood the cause of your confusion is the use of an unofficial and clearly outdated website with questionable content.
In your contributions you mentioned the site http://www.hp-prime.de. That site was never an official site from HP. Looking at the so called "impressum", that site is provided from MORAVIA EDUCATION, Olomoucká 1213/83, 627 00 BRNO (CZ).
The content of the page has probably not been updated for a long time, for example the linked programs refer to versions from 2018. It is therefore not very useful to use the content of the page as learning material.
This is my personal opinion.
Thank You, I didn't know that.
N.B.(Note Briefly) the Where works on the regular page of HP Prime just not in Functions.
You probably already know that.
Thank again.
01-12-2022, 06:48 AM (This post was last modified: 01-12-2022 06:50 AM by SammysHP.)
(01-11-2022 06:58 PM)Thomas_Sch Wrote:  In your contributions you mentioned the site http://www.hp-prime.de. That site was never an official site from HP. Looking at the so called "impressum", that site is provided from MORAVIA EDUCATION, Olomoucká 1213/83, 627 00 BRNO (CZ).

Moravia is the official licensee for HP calculators. That means the linked site is an official site and it's the portal for HP Prime calculators for German customers.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-12-2022, 07:02 AM (This post was last modified: 01-12-2022 08:23 AM by Thomas_Sch.)
(01-12-2022 06:48 AM)SammysHP Wrote:  
(01-11-2022 06:58 PM)Thomas_Sch Wrote:  In your contributions you mentioned the site http://www.hp-prime.de. That site was never an official site from HP. Looking at the so called "impressum", that site is provided from MORAVIA EDUCATION, Olomoucká 1213/83, 627 00 BRNO (CZ).

Moravia is the official licensee for HP calculators. That means the linked site is an official site and it's the portal for HP Prime calculators for German customers.

Moravia is one of the licensees since end of 2021.
Please have a detailed look on the very outdated content of the mentioned site.
They started this non-official site long before they had been elected as "official licensee".
The site is unmaintained since about 2018, and should contain very visible warnings about the outdated content.
(edit: e.g. "we have forgotten this site. Sorry ..." )
Files date from the early days of the HP Prime.
(edit: Forum link is dead, german user manual from 2013, conn. kit from 2018, virtual calc the same, all files mentioned are stored local at their server)
01-12-2022, 07:18 AM
I never paid attention to that either, thanks for watching. Which is the really official page for the HP-Prime if there is one.
01-12-2022, 07:42 AM
(01-12-2022 07:18 AM)Roland Wrote:  I never paid attention to that either, thanks for watching. Which is the really official page for the HP-Prime if there is one.
maybe now https://hpcalcs.com/

please also have a look at this threads:
- https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-17593.html
Royal Consumer Info Products
- https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-17610.html
Moravia website problems thread
01-14-2022, 10:57 PM
Arno

Another workaround is (2*X-3)/((-1<X)(X<=3)). This would work if you wanted F1(5) to be undefined instead of 0.

This would also work as 2*X-3/(-1<X)/(X<=3). This more closely mimics the "where" operator. In this case, it makes the "-3" term undefined out of range rather than "2*X-3". At the end of the day, that makes no difference because the entire expression is undefined if even a single part is undefined.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)