Back in 75...
08-04-2021, 05:00 PM (This post was last modified: 08-04-2021 10:05 PM by Didier Lachieze.)
Back in 75...
See the new 25
But no more 35
Only the 45
It’s time for the 55
And space for the 65
Back in 75 …

[Image: thumb.jpg]

Pocket Calculator Buyers Guide - Fall 75.pdf

Enjoy!

Interestingly the illustrations in this catalog are composed like museum paintings, each calculator is presented on a full page with three accessories associating the calculator to a specific application or environment (in order of appearance):
  • HP-25 "Scientific Programmable": a mechanical pencil, bearings and a drawing – it’s a tool for engineers, no doubt
  • HP-55 "Advanced Scientific programmable": a few electronic components, an electrical circuit analysis sheet and an HP 5306A Multimeter/Counter – there is a complex problem involving test and measurement that can be solved with a program : "Designed with the power to solve complex, repetitive or iterative problems"
  • HP-21 "Scientific": two pencils, a paper sheet with a mathematical formula, and science books (chemistry, physics, algebra) – we are here in an education environment rather that in the professional world , pencil vs. mechanical pencil, the HP-21 is simpler than the HP-25.
  • HP-45 "Advanced Scientific": a compass and test tubes, with only two accessories and a half page picture, the HP-45 is the less highlighted calculator in this brochure. May be because it’s the older scientific calculator presented.
  • HP-65 "Fully programmable": a form with a hand written program, magnetic cards, and at the back several big mainframe tape drives – this is clearly highlighting programming and a direct comparison of the "personal computer" HP-65 with a mainframe computer whose access was reserved at that time to an elite.
  • HP-22 "Business Management": a pen, a pocket watch, a blank paper sheet and an accounting book – we are not anymore in a scientific environment, but in one where money counts: the pen and watch are gold plated, and the watch is telling us "time is money", it’s also a reminder of the main functions of the HP financial calculators: TVM (Time Value of Money).
  • HP-80 "Financial": here we are entering the world of finance with key accessories for finance people: glasses, Wall Street Journal and stock certificates. The words used are also a hint to this world: "The finest pocket calculator", like a finest single malt whisky…
But no such staging for the desk calculators HP-46 & HP-81, they are just presented side by side without any accessories, we are in a "Pocket Calculator Buyer’s Guide", aren’t we?

(Previously published on the french Silicium forum, English version for people here interested in these early HP calculators).
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-04-2021, 06:16 PM
RE: Back in 75...
I’d like to get the brochure. Tried to download it. No go. Just a one page doc all in black. Any chance you could format it as a PDF?

Thanks.
08-04-2021, 06:38 PM (This post was last modified: 08-04-2021 06:47 PM by J-F Garnier.)
Wonderful brochure !

Interesting, we now tend to think about the Classic then the Woodstock then the Spice series (and so on) , but at the time it was usual for two (or more) families to be on sale. Here we see the HP-55 and the HP-25, that are objectively quite close, presented with distinctive features (the art of marketing...).

1975 was also about the time when I met the HP calculators and RPN for the first time, and it was a HP-35 at the INSA-Lyon (French engineering school). One unique HP-35 for a classroom, and a short course on how to use it.

J-F
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-04-2021, 07:29 PM
I really would like to read this brochure, but reading this document online is a pain, because Google Ads covers the lower part of the screen and cannot be removed, and after increasing the size, until I can read the small text, I have to scroll horizontally every line.

Any pdf reader would provide a much more comfortable reading.

Bernhard

That's one small step for a man - one giant leap for mankind.
08-04-2021, 07:41 PM
(08-04-2021 07:29 PM)PANAMATIK Wrote:  I really would like to read this brochure, but reading this document online is a pain, because Google Ads covers the lower part of the screen and cannot be removed, and after increasing the size, until I can read the small text, I have to scroll horizontally every line.

Bernhard

You can download the single JPGs via calameo.download
There are other Calameo downloaders, but this is the only one that worked for me.

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
08-04-2021, 08:04 PM
(08-04-2021 07:41 PM)Massimo Gnerucci Wrote:  
(08-04-2021 07:29 PM)PANAMATIK Wrote:  I really would like to read this brochure, but reading this document online is a pain, because Google Ads covers the lower part of the screen and cannot be removed, and after increasing the size, until I can read the small text, I have to scroll horizontally every line.

Bernhard

You can download the single JPGs via calameo.download
There are other Calameo downloaders, but this is the only one that worked for me.

That was also my first port of call, but the downloaded JPEG files seem to have more artifacts than the original images as viewed on calameo.

— Ian Abbott
08-04-2021, 08:48 PM
(08-04-2021 08:04 PM)ijabbott Wrote:  
(08-04-2021 07:41 PM)Massimo Gnerucci Wrote:  You can download the single JPGs via calameo.download

That was also my first port of call, but the downloaded JPEG files seem to have more artifacts than the original images as viewed on calameo.

I knew I already saw it... :)

It is available on the Museum's USB key: /data/cd16/ads/1975buyg.pdf

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
08-04-2021, 10:14 PM
I've added a link to the pdf file in the first post. It's a different scan than the one on the Museum USB key.
08-04-2021, 10:40 PM
This is indeed one of the very best of the many catalogs HP issued in the 70's.

Sadly, greedy sellers on eBay will acquire one of these catalogs, and cut them up to list separate model-by-model "original ad pages" for $20-40/each. An inglorious end for such a great catalog...

--Bob Prosperi
08-04-2021, 11:25 PM
I have this brochure, and might sell it one picture at a time, given Bob's suggestion (thanks Bob!).

(j/k)

However, the pictures in this catalog leave a lot to be desired. The angle of the shots is awful for the blue functions on the front of the keys. You can't make them out at all nearly on the HP-21 and HP-25.

HP learned I think from this, but ugh.

Gene
08-06-2021, 05:45 AM
As an homage to the "poem" by Didier in his original post, I remember a photo I took some weeks ago, it contains all the HP-x5 calculators I have that was ever made ... Wink

Apart from the classics - there is also the HP-15C and the HP-35s.
(To be honest I'm missing the HP-25C, but I could have included the three variants of the HP-35 instead ...)

Some will probably disagree - but the HP-95C was never released to public - and the HP-75C was not from the HP calculator division ... nor do I own any of these either ... Big Grin

Cheers,
Thomas

[35/45/55/65/67/97/80 21/25/29C 31E/32E/33E|C/34C/38E 41C|CV|CX 71B 10C/11C/12C/15C|CE/16C 32S|SII/42S 28C|S 48GX/49G/50G 35S 41X]
08-06-2021, 08:31 AM
(08-04-2021 05:00 PM)Didier Lachieze Wrote:  Back in 75 …
It is very sad to read how accurate was the design and testing in such products compared with the current production....
08-06-2021, 10:13 AM
Wonderful brochure, Didier, and thank you for the precise reading you made of it, accurately remembering the characteristics and destination of each calculator, recalling the atmosphere of a bygone era, of which many here, like me, are nostalgic Smile
08-06-2021, 10:17 AM
(08-04-2021 11:25 PM)Gene Wrote:  However, the pictures in this catalog leave a lot to be desired. The angle of the shots is awful for the blue functions on the front of the keys. You can't make them out at all nearly on the HP-21 and HP-25.
Gene

Hi Gene, I think the best pictures of HP calculators are the ones on this our beloved site.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)