Missing LCD rows and columns; repair?
07-08-2021, 08:21 PM
Missing LCD rows and columns; repair?
I have an HP 48GX that just recently developed two missing columns of pixels and 1 missing row of pixels.

I'm certain there have been articles explaining how to fix the problem. Please point me in the right direction.

Thanks!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-09-2021, 01:22 AM
RE: Missing LCD rows and columns; repair?
This condition is often the result of the failure of the conductive "zebra" strip connecting the LCD connection pads to the main PCB pads. Try pressing around the (upper, lower) outer edges of the display bezel to see if the columns of pixels reappear at a certain point. If so, you have a connection problem. This can be fixed, but will involve some pretty heavy effort to open the calculator case, as it was not meant to be opened and repaired. There are a number of articles describing the repair process, but first see if the diagnosis is correct.

Remember kids, "In a democracy, you get the government you deserve."
07-09-2021, 03:18 AM
RE: Missing LCD rows and columns; repair?
(07-09-2021 01:22 AM)mfleming Wrote:  This condition is often the result of the failure of the conductive "zebra" strip connecting the LCD connection pads to the main PCB pads. Try pressing around the (upper, lower) outer edges of the display bezel to see if the columns of pixels reappear at a certain point. If so, you have a connection problem. This can be fixed, but will involve some pretty heavy effort to open the calculator case, as it was not meant to be opened and repaired. There are a number of articles describing the repair process, but first see if the diagnosis is correct.

Tight cases - normally waterproof - was the HP way of doing things.

I will test and then see the articles.

THANKS!

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)