Sinclair Cambridge Scientific
05-06-2021, 03:38 PM
Sinclair Cambridge Scientific
I have a fully working Sinclair Cambridge Scientific Calculator.
However the white on black keys are very ‘rubbed’ making it very difficult to read the key labels.
Does anyone have a source of ‘sticky’ labels I could put over each key please?
I was wondering where the ‘sticky’ key labels that are used to convert the HP 30B to the WP34S we’re obtained?
Thanks
Dennis
P.S. Sir Clive is still going strong and still has an office in St. Neots, near Cambridge though I think he’s been bankrupt a few times, especially after the C5!

Denny Tuckerman
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-06-2021, 03:40 PM
RE: Sinclair Cambridge Scientific
Here is an image I forgot to post

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Denny Tuckerman
05-07-2021, 03:52 AM
I loved that weird, quirky, inaccurate little calc. So fascinating!
Find all posts by this user
05-07-2021, 06:03 AM
Perhaps you could try rub-off letters. They are also available in white and in different sizes. Of course, they have to be protected with a piece of scotch tape after rubbing on the keys.

Best regards

Karl
05-07-2021, 10:45 PM
I was living in Paris in 1978. The department store Galleries La Fayette had a calculator glass case (right as you enter from the street in one of their buildings). They sold HP and TI and other stuff. On some weekends I would go there. I had bought an HP-67 Math Pac for my 24th birthday. I later bought an HP-67 Stat Pac for research. One day I saw the Sinclair calculator. I did buy it and spent time tinkering with. I have a few units with various levels of operations (a few work well others no so well).

Namir
05-11-2021, 06:43 AM
Brings back memories. My first calculator was a Sinclair Cambridge when I was in high school in 1973. I upgraded to a Sinclair Oxford 300 (~20GBP, a lot of money to a 16-year-old in 1976!) This served me well until I got a TI58 (sadly not the C version or a TI59) for my 18th, and that got me all the way through graduate school in 1985. A few years ago I found a Sinclair Scientific Programmable on TAS -- the Oxford footprint, green fluorescent numbers, RPN, 24 steps, and inaccurate as all get-out. It's sitting unused in my drawer, complete with its library of programs. Some of the buttons are a bit dodgy, but it's still (I think) functional -- albeit of far less utility than all the other models I've accumulated over the years.
05-11-2021, 12:21 PM
(05-11-2021 06:43 AM)JimP Wrote:  Brings back memories. My first calculator was a Sinclair Cambridge when I was in high school in 1973. I upgraded to a Sinclair Oxford 300 (~20GBP, a lot of money to a 16-year-old in 1976!) This served me well until I got a TI58 (sadly not the C version or a TI59) for my 18th, and that got me all the way through graduate school in 1985. A few years ago I found a Sinclair Scientific Programmable on TAS -- the Oxford footprint, green fluorescent numbers, RPN, 24 steps, and inaccurate as all get-out. It's sitting unused in my drawer, complete with its library of programs. Some of the buttons are a bit dodgy, but it's still (I think) functional -- albeit of far less utility than all the other models I've accumulated over the years.

Out of curiosity, is it the same program library as the Sinclair Cambridge Programmable?

https://archive.org/details/sinclair-cam...am-library

And the buttons are super dodgy on my Cambridge Programmable too. Smile
05-17-2021, 02:43 AM (This post was last modified: 05-17-2021 02:45 AM by JimP.)
(05-11-2021 12:21 PM)Dave Britten Wrote:  
(05-11-2021 06:43 AM)JimP Wrote:  Brings back memories. My first calculator was a Sinclair Cambridge when I was in high school in 1973. I upgraded to a Sinclair Oxford 300 (~20GBP, a lot of money to a 16-year-old in 1976!) This served me well until I got a TI58 (sadly not the C version or a TI59) for my 18th, and that got me all the way through graduate school in 1985. A few years ago I found a Sinclair Scientific Programmable on TAS -- the Oxford footprint, green fluorescent numbers, RPN, 24 steps, and inaccurate as all get-out. It's sitting unused in my drawer, complete with its library of programs. Some of the buttons are a bit dodgy, but it's still (I think) functional -- albeit of far less utility than all the other models I've accumulated over the years.

Out of curiosity, is it the same program library as the Sinclair Cambridge Programmable?

https://archive.org/details/sinclair-cam...am-library

And the buttons are super dodgy on my Cambridge Programmable too. Smile

Actually no, the Oxford programmable is only 24 steps, not 36.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)