Repair of HP42S in NYC area
02-27-2021, 05:55 PM
Repair of HP42S in NYC area
I have an HP 42s calculator which won't power up after new batteries have been inserted. I had stored it for over 20 years without using it. I would like to use it again and I would like to get it repaired in the New York City area. Is there anyone who specializes in repairing HP 42s calculators in the New York City area. I'm hesitant to use a repair person out of the area because I would like to physically deliver and pick it up. I've been vaccinated for COVID-19.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-27-2021, 08:13 PM
First check a simple thing...
Before looking for repairs, check whether it responds when you push down on the bezel just below the center of the screen. If thatʻs your problem, and itʻs really common, you can get some temporary relief.

Alan
02-28-2021, 07:29 AM (This post was last modified: 02-28-2021 07:31 AM by aurelio.)
RE: Repair of HP42S in NYC area
(02-27-2021 05:55 PM)jzeep3 Wrote:  I have an HP 42s calculator which won't power up after new batteries have been inserted. I had stored it for over 20 years without using it. [Omissis]

Hi jzeep3, hope you have not stored it with the old batteries inside..., (forgive the trivial question) I'm pretty sure not...
otherwise have you noticed any leakage trace or dirty contacts?
Aurelio
02-28-2021, 11:40 AM
...and don't forget: Vinegar and a cotton swab is a very effective contact cleaner. Sometimes minor corrosion is not visible but prevents appropriate contact.

TomC
02-28-2021, 12:28 PM
... and double check the battery's polarity :-)
02-28-2021, 12:48 PM
...and always carry a towel!

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-15-2021, 09:49 PM
Hello !
I don't know if I'm a bit late on this post. But take a look at the troubleshooting appendix in the manual.
You will see the following workaround that works with almost all (if not any) calculator of the Pioneer series : Short briefly the battery contacts with a coin or a paperclip then put the batteries on again.
Hoping it will be useful to you if you didn't already solve your issue !
Best regards.

RPN calcs worshipper - Hewlett-Packard/Elektronika
AOS/alg. calcs explorer/BASIC pocket computers liker-lover

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)