Adjusting R8 to Increase HP-97 Printer Intensity
04-01-2021, 11:39 PM (This post was last modified: 04-01-2021 11:41 PM by James Linder.)
RE: Adjusting R8 to Increase HP-97 Printer Intensity
They only see occasional use as collector items, and I would rather have pristine printouts when I show them off.

How many desktop HP calculators do you actually own?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-02-2021, 12:06 AM (This post was last modified: 04-02-2021 12:09 AM by teenix.)
(04-01-2021 11:39 PM)James Linder Wrote:  They only see occasional use as collector items, and I would rather have pristine printouts when I show them off.

How many desktop HP calculators do you actually own?

That's fair enough. I am a bit over cautious at times :-)

None, I have one on loan while I develop the 97 replacement CPU board.

Maybe one day....

cheers

Tony
04-02-2021, 12:50 AM
If you do not mind the outer case having become darker over time, I could put a fully
functional 97 together for you for about $275 with soft case, or $325 if you want the
adapter/charger and a rebuilt NiCad battery pack.

It would be the best of the four I have left using the best case with the best keyboard
and after I restore the card reader and the printer page advance spool. The printers
I have remaining provide readable print, however the print is not as dark as the ones
I own.

If you want to do the work on the card reader and the printer page advance yourself,
I would take $75 off these prices. You would need to pay shipping, and in USA First
Class mail for this would cost about $25.

If you also want the user's manual and Standard Pac software with manual for the 97,
I would include good but not excellent manuals and software for another $50.

Please understand, these prices are considerably lower than typical to show you my
appreciation for your assistance provided on this forum.
04-02-2021, 01:24 AM
Hi James,

A nice offer indeed and I appreciate the thought. Sadly I'll have to think about it as I am on the verge of retirement and am still looking for an old country home to settle down in. Unfortunately with prices rapidly going up here, it's making things more and more difficult.

What would be nice is a HP-91 loaner (working or not) so I can create a CPU replacement for it and the 92. The keyboard layout is different than the 97, so I guess the CPU board layout will be also.

With the replacement CPU boards, I have control of the printer so I can change print intensity via software settings.

cheers

Tony
04-02-2021, 01:53 AM
I think you are in luck.

I have a dead HP-91 that when I bought it a year ago it had a mint exterior and a display so dim that the room had to be dark to see it.

Then I bought a 91 that worked but had a cracked top case so I swapped cases so I would have a nice one that worked and looked nice.

The leftover parts are what you would receive: top & bottom outer case, keyboard with display, and motherboard mounted on center support shelf. The printer has been removed and the ribbon connector from the keyboard to the display has been ruined. If you pay for shipping both directions I will loan it to you for as long as you need it. I think First Class Mail will run about $15.

You may keep it as long as you need to, however when finished please return to me so I may use it for parts. How does that sound?

I will see if I can come up with a 92 for you after you are done with the 91. If you prefer having a 92 first, then let me check into that to see what I can come up with.
04-02-2021, 02:08 AM
Just a heads up concerning mailing costs.

I think you may be discussing an overseas shipment. You should check the price's before you make a promise you might not be willing to keep.

I have some devices I would like to ship to Panamatik in Germany, but overseas shipping charges are just staggeringly expensive right now.

Hope the world gets back to normal soon.

Don't ask me I just lurk here.
04-02-2021, 03:58 AM
On TAS currently, HP-97's shipped to Australia from the US vary from about $Aus40 to $Aus120 so might depend on dispatch location.

cheers

Tony
04-02-2021, 12:02 PM
Do you want me to check the mailing costs for you? Typically First Class
runs one third the cost of priority mail.
04-02-2021, 01:02 PM
(04-02-2021 12:02 PM)James Linder Wrote:  Do you want me to check the mailing costs for you? Typically First Class
runs one third the cost of priority mail.

Yes thanks James, I would appreciate it, thank you.

cheers

Tony
04-02-2021, 01:15 PM
Please email me your mailing address. Jim_Linder@sbcglobal.net

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)