Engineering achievements
02-11-2021, 10:18 PM
RE: Engineering achievements
(02-11-2021 09:01 PM)Jake Schwartz Wrote:  Speaking of engineering achievements, next January will be the 50th anniversary of the HP-35.....

50 years !? Time flies like an arrow (and fruit flies like a banana) ...

For people interested to know what the ground-breaking HP-35 was capable of 50 years ago (and now), may I recommend my PDF article:

Long Live the HP-35 (click to see)
  • 5-page article, belonging to my "Long Live" series, which is intended as a commemorative article for the HP-35's 35th anniversary, [...] It highlights all the groundbreaking capabilities of the HP-35 and their importance from a historical point of view, an further it includes three examples featuring four small "programs" (for a non-programmable calculator no less !), addressing such topics as root finding and numerical integration among others, as well as providing the appropriate historical context and a few personal anecdotes to spice it all.

Best regards.
V.

All My Articles & other Materials here:  Valentin Albillo's HP Collection

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-12-2021, 03:36 AM
(02-11-2021 09:01 PM)Jake Schwartz Wrote:  Speaking of engineering achievements, next January will be the 50th anniversary of the HP-35.....
Jake

I have a project in the pipeline for this event cooking away in my secret dungeon ;-)

cheers

Tony
Find all posts by this user
02-12-2021, 07:07 PM
(02-12-2021 03:36 AM)teenix Wrote:  I have a project in the pipeline for this event cooking away in my secret dungeon ;-)

cheers

Tony

Yay! We all love good surprises :-)
02-13-2021, 01:12 PM
Hello!

(02-11-2021 08:55 PM)Jake Schwartz Wrote:  By "cheap Indian androids with emulators", do you mean smartphones? Are they less expensive than an HP Prime at $140? If so, I don't believe that the education market has ever accepted smartphones into the classroom.

About fife years ago, when our son was in his last year at school, he took part in a students exchange to Bejing. One of his (many) lasting impressions was that students at Chinese schools were allowed to use their smartphones in classrooms for everything. They even had full-time internet access.

So by numbers (derived from it's total population China must also be the country with the most students in the world) it can be said that "the education market" has been accepting smartphones in classrooms for at least five years. Within the span of a generation or so will will find out, if smartphone-educated students make better scientists, dentists, business people, musicians and architects than "we" paper-and-pencil eductaed ones...

And yes, there are plenty of smartphones in China that cost less than those 140$ that HP asks for their Prime.

Regards
Max

NB: As a sidenote, one of the lasting impressions of "our" Chinese exchange student was: "how green it is where you live!". During the half-hour drive from the airport to our home he had seen more grass, trees, cows, horses, and football fields than in his previous 18 years in Bejing together. And we don't live in the countryside, but in a major industrialised area of Germany...
02-16-2021, 06:08 PM
(02-11-2021 08:55 PM)Jake Schwartz Wrote:  
(02-11-2021 05:27 PM)Hlib Wrote:  Some cheap Indian androids with emulators outperform HP-Prime calculators in all respects. There is a reason for reflection and for developing a successful marketing strategy for the next financial quarter. There will be no more profit of 200% per annum and monthly bonuses for hp-35s. Start working with your head, not with your fingers on the keyboard.

By "cheap Indian androids with emulators", do you mean smartphones? Are they less expensive than an HP Prime at $140? If so, I don't believe that the education market has ever accepted smartphones into the classroom. ...

Jake
Don`t take this as an advertisement. For example: the Indian manufacturer released in 2019 a budget smartphone Samsung Galaxy A10 for low-income segments of the population at a price of less than $130 in an amount of more than 5 million copies. I tested this gadget and can say that it demonstrates the achievements of proven technologies of the 21st century at the level of 2012. HP-Prime lags behind the A10 in hardware by about ten years.
I am no longer a student for a long time, so I am not interested in the restrictions associated with the problem of permission in the exam and choose my gadget exclusively for work and everyday tasks, not for exams.
03-02-2021, 06:17 PM
I ask: why is my "warning level" exactly 20%? 2 and 20 are my favorite numbers. Recently, my Chrome blocked even my viewing of YouTube comments, do not let alone the ability to comment. I`ve never liked the comment option. Every time I turn on my Googlephone after 12 hours of complete shutdown, I find that 150...300 MB was stolen from my traffic during that "time off". Is this a new type of service? I don`t understand one thing: my smartphone (Google) knows my moods and wishes much better than HP knows about the requests of its customers, who have been expressing their opinions on the HP forum for several years.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)