Adafruit RPN calculator tutorial
12-10-2020, 08:28 AM
Adafruit RPN calculator tutorial
This might be of interest to calculator builders.

I just noticed that Adafruit* now carries the 400x240 pixel Sharp Memory LCD (as used in the SwissMicros DM42 and DM41X) and they've published plans for an RPN desktop calculator using that display: https://learn.adafruit.com/diy-rpn-deskt...cuitpython

The calculator software is written in CircuitPython, Adafruit's dialect of Python3, and uses a decimal arithmetic library. Pretty neat!

* Adafruit is a New York-based supplier of high quality hobby electronics with an emphasis on education. (I am an Adafruit customer.)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-10-2020, 06:33 PM
RE: Adafruit RPN calculator tutorial
This is a most interesting project!

By the Way, Adafruit is a fine business - I regularly purchase parts from them. They also have many great tutorials on their website.

TomC
12-10-2020, 07:49 PM (This post was last modified: 12-10-2020 07:50 PM by Maximilian Hohmann.)
Hello!

(12-10-2020 06:33 PM)TomC Wrote:  By the Way, Adafruit is a fine business - I regularly purchase parts from them.

Yes. "Lady Ada" really is special. I have some original products from her company but I must confess that I rather buy Chinese clones. One of the reason is that shipping cost from China is zero instead of 10-30$ from the US. Crazy world.

What I like about this project is the last page where important parts of the code are explained (I have not done anything in Python yet and no intention to learn yet another programming language) and simple ways to extend the code to one's own requirements are presented. Without knowing anything about Python :-)
Unfortunately, 40$ + shipping for a grey non-backlit LCD display is an absolute no-go for me, so before I will build one of these I will have to wait for the Chinese to clone the display...

Regards
Max
12-12-2020, 05:31 AM (This post was last modified: 12-12-2020 05:31 AM by Craig Bladow.)
Thanks for posting the link!

I've made many purchases from Adafruit and am very happy with them. I have several of the 14 segment LED displays for some future calculator project that might need these displays. The image next to my name is displayed on one of these.

Try CC41!

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)