DM42 Keyboard
10-11-2020, 11:23 AM (This post was last modified: 03-08-2023 06:36 AM by CY-CL.)
DM42 Keyboard
xxxxxx
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-11-2020, 11:39 AM
RE: DM42 Keyboard
I have to confirm that my DM42, purchased a few years ago, has an excellent keyboard.
10-11-2020, 12:16 PM (This post was last modified: 10-11-2020 12:17 PM by Steve Simpkin.)
(10-11-2020 11:23 AM)CY-CL Wrote:  Hi all

I had one of the first DM42 and sold it just 2 month later, because the keyboard was the worst thing I ever had in a calculator.

Is the keyboard in the newest generation updated? Or are still issues with it?

Thanks for your feedbacks.

Patrik
Yes. Any DM42s ordered now have the new improved keyboard.

"Note that the production DM41X (and new DM42) have a much improved new keyboard design, addressing user comments about pressure needed to click keys, feel/response, possibly missed keys, etc."

Early reviews report a greatly improved keyboard.

"Finally a keyboard that works, it took SM several years to solve this issue, but they nailed it."

"Bottom line: the keyboard, while certainly not as legendary as the 41C (nothing is), is still a huge improvement over the original DM42 design, and is a joy to use."

"So it's still firmer than a Voyager's keyboard, but a very noticeable improvement over the original DM42, both in feel and responsiveness."

https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-15642.html
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-11-2020, 10:50 PM
I have an original DM42 from back when they were launched around Dec. 2017, and it's rather unpleasant to use. I just got a DM41X last week, and it's a massive improvement. The keys still require a little more force than an HP, but it's not at all a chore to type on, and they're easier to press than SM's Voyager clones (e.g. DM41L). They do, however, have a very audible click, which might pose an issue in extremely quiet settings (exams, library, programming in bed late at night, etc.).

I will likely end up ordering another DM42 before the year is out and retiring my "first-run" unit. Smile
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-12-2020, 11:13 AM
I ordered one and my hopes are high because I like the DM42 but I did not appreciate to have to open it and "optimize" the keyboard simply to make it usable. I event had to do it again last week because after a while, the Enter key was unreliable.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)