Document Set Download?
08-04-2020, 08:56 AM
Document Set Download?
Is it at all possible to purchase the document set and download it to avoid having to wait for shipping?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-04-2020, 04:21 PM
RE: Document Set Download?
Do you really want to download 16GB of data?

There are only 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
08-04-2020, 04:58 PM
By today standard, 16GB is not that much, macOS update often do 5GB. Even with my medium/slow Internet download speed of 91 Mbps it will take me less than 30 minutes to download the 16GB.
08-04-2020, 04:58 PM
That may not be too fast, but shipping to NZ is much, MUCH slower... Wink

--Bob Prosperi
08-04-2020, 05:03 PM
(08-04-2020 04:58 PM)Sylvain Cote Wrote:  By today standard, 16GB is not that much, macOS update often do 5GB. Even with my medium/slow Internet download speed of 91 Mbps it will take me less than 30 minutes to download the 16GB.

You call 91mbps "medium/slow"?!?!?

Where I come from that is called insanely blazing fast.

I get about 15-18mbps on a good day.

There are only 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
08-04-2020, 06:37 PM
(08-04-2020 05:03 PM)grsbanks Wrote:  
(08-04-2020 04:58 PM)Sylvain Cote Wrote:  By today standard, 16GB is not that much, macOS update often do 5GB. Even with my medium/slow Internet download speed of 91 Mbps it will take me less than 30 minutes to download the 16GB.

You call 91mbps "medium/slow"?!?!?

I get anything between 5 and 40 mbps, though, I'd still like the opportunity to download updates (I've already bought the memstick).
Normally I just set the "long" downloads in the night. Openfietsmap, that I use on my Garmin GPS (complete routable map of all Europe) is 12GB DL. Took about ~2 hours.

Esben
28s, 35s, 49G+, 50G, Prime G2 HW D, SwissMicros DM42, DM32, WP43 Pilot
Elektronika MK-52 & MK-61
08-04-2020, 07:48 PM
(08-04-2020 06:37 PM)DA74254 Wrote:  
(08-04-2020 05:03 PM)grsbanks Wrote:  You call 91mbps "medium/slow"?!?!?

I get anything between 5 and 40 mbps, though, I'd still like the opportunity to download updates (I've already bought the memstick).
Normally I just set the "long" downloads in the night. Openfietsmap, that I use on my Garmin GPS (complete routable map of all Europe) is 12GB DL. Took about ~2 hours.

I get about ~140 Mbits/sec down and ~11Mbits/sec up Smile So, it would take me about 16 minutes and 22 seconds to download 16GiB, assuming I didn't mess up the calculation Smile When I've finished moving to Colorado, I'll have fiber running at about 1Gbit/sec down Smile

I bought the HP Museum documents collection and the USB drive is plugged into the Linux system on which I'm typing this. If there is a future release of the document set, I'd rather have the option of downloading it instead of waiting for the USB drive to arrive via the mail ( and the USPS is *slow* right now Smile )

Regards,

Jonathan

Aeternitas modo est. Longa non est, paene nil.
08-04-2020, 08:00 PM
(08-04-2020 06:37 PM)DA74254 Wrote:  
(08-04-2020 05:03 PM)grsbanks Wrote:  I get about 15-18mbps on a good day.
Well, what can I say, I am sorry for you guys. Wink
I used to get that kind of speed 10 to 15 years ago before the phone/cable providers started to upgrade their networks.

Today the kind of sustained internet download values we have are:
Home are still not connected to fiber but you can now have up to 500 Mbps.
At work, the company (15 peoples) has taken the slowest fiber link available of 1 Gbps (ISP has 650 Gbps)
08-04-2020, 09:17 PM
(08-04-2020 08:00 PM)Sylvain Cote Wrote:  Well, what can I say, I am sorry for you guys. Wink
I used to get that kind of speed 10 to 15 years ago before the phone/cable providers started to upgrade their networks.

Today the kind of sustained internet download values we have are:
Home are still not connected to fiber but you can now have up to 500 Mbps.
At work, the company (15 peoples) has taken the slowest fiber link available of 1 Gbps (ISP has 650 Gbps)

Same here. Here in NZ you can get 900 Mbit/s down and 500 Mbit/s up in most urban areas for $99 NZD per month ($65.59 USD).
08-04-2020, 10:47 PM
At this time, I have no news newer than this:

https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-10726.html

I haven't seen anything that convinces me that I would have more luck right now. (Some people I have talked to about this read this forum. I'm guessing they would tell me if things change.)

I've had numerous conversations with HP employees over the years and I've always gotten the impression that everyone there fears HP Legal. And since I'm just "some guy", I kind of do as well.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-05-2020, 12:39 AM
(08-04-2020 04:21 PM)grsbanks Wrote:  Do you really want to download 16GB of data?

I can download 16 Gb of contents in 16 min. flat, with a run-of-the-mill, cheapo connection, so nothing preposterous about that, it's plain standard where I live.

V.

All My Articles & other Materials here:  Valentin Albillo's HP Collection

08-05-2020, 01:41 AM
(08-04-2020 10:47 PM)Dave Hicks Wrote:  At this time, I have no news newer than this:

https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-10726.html

I haven't seen anything that convinces me that I would have more luck right now. (Some people I have talked to about this read this forum. I'm guessing they would tell me if things change.)

I've had numerous conversations with HP employees over the years and I've always gotten the impression that everyone there fears HP Legal. And since I'm just "some guy", I kind of do as well.

Fair enough. I guess I'll just have to wait for shipping then since it's out of your hands.
08-05-2020, 06:43 AM
(08-05-2020 12:39 AM)Valentin Albillo Wrote:  I can download 16 Gb of contents in 16 min. flat, with a run-of-the-mill, cheapo connection, so nothing preposterous about that, it's plain standard where I live.

Lucky you Smile

This country (UK) is the backwater of the internet and of comms in general. It's OK in urban areas but as soon as you stray a few miles out of them you only have a very poor internet connection because people's expectations are so low that network operators don't feel the need to do anything. I'm lucky to get 15-18 mbps. A lot of areas are only guaranteed 4-8 mbps, if that.

It was suggested to me that I switch to 4G. I laughed. We don't have 4G here. In fact we don't have 3G either and only barely enough 2G signal strength to send a text message.

08-05-2020, 07:23 AM
I'm on the wrong side of the highway, so I'm stuck with ADSL or 4G. So 4G it is Smile

Esben
28s, 35s, 49G+, 50G, Prime G2 HW D, SwissMicros DM42, DM32, WP43 Pilot
Elektronika MK-52 & MK-61
08-08-2020, 01:29 PM
1Gbps down, 300Mbps up, here.

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
08-08-2020, 09:37 PM
(08-05-2020 06:43 AM)grsbanks Wrote:  This country (UK) is the backwater of the internet and of comms in general. It's OK in urban areas but as soon as you stray a few miles out of them you only have a very poor internet connection because people's expectations are so low that network operators don't feel the need to do anything. I'm lucky to get 15-18 mbps. A lot of areas are only guaranteed 4-8 mbps, if that.

The former national telco in the UK is so stuck in the past and so investment adverse that, at one point about 2 to 3 years ago, its stock market valuation was less than the scrap value of its installed copper. Way to go!
08-08-2020, 09:58 PM
(08-05-2020 06:43 AM)grsbanks Wrote:  
(08-05-2020 12:39 AM)Valentin Albillo Wrote:  I can download 16 Gb of contents in 16 min. flat, with a run-of-the-mill, cheapo connection, so nothing preposterous about that, it's plain standard where I live.
Lucky you Smile

The quality of connections here has been very convincingly demonstrated during the several-month long mandatory confinement at home, which forced a large percentage of the working force (many million people) having to work at home, using incredible amounts of bandwidth at high speed.

Add to that the also many millions of people who were downloading series from HBO, Netflix and the like, whole seasons at once to binge-watch, or playing heavy Internet games wholesale, and still we've had no problems or suffered lags or dropouts or anything, everything was going at full speed. The 16 Gb in 16 min. I mentioned could be downloaded even during working hours, not necessarily late at night.

Frankly, the communications passed with flying colours here. Lucky indeed ! Smile

Regards.
V.

All My Articles & other Materials here:  Valentin Albillo's HP Collection

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)