Holding Shift+On on my HP Prime G2 resets all memory content [EDIT: happens again]
05-17-2020, 01:05 AM (This post was last modified: 05-18-2020 06:39 PM by anyfoo.)
Holding Shift+On on my HP Prime G2 resets all memory content [EDIT: happens again]
Hello,

I wanted to try out the new-ish key combinations to change the screen refresh rate (Shift+On+[-] and [+] respectively), but when I started by holding down first Shift and then On, the HP logo appeared. When I let go of the keys after a few seconds, the calculator reset and all memory content was gone. The dark mode theme I chose was still active, though.

Is that expected? I couldn't find anything about pressing Shift+On anywhere.

If I hold down On first, then Shift, then [+] or [-], changing the refresh rate works.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-17-2020, 02:06 AM
RE: Holding Shift+On on my HP Prime G2 resets all memory content
Holding down shift+on on a G2 unit puts it coma mode. It definitely shouldn't erase all your memory though, only takes a bit longer to boot.
05-17-2020, 02:33 AM
RE: Holding Shift+On on my HP Prime G2 resets all memory content
Hmm. I formatted the Prime completely (using recovery mode), and now I cannot reproduce. Even holding Shift-On longer down puts it into what seems to be the coma mode you describe, but when it comes back up my settings, variables, and even the stack, are back.

Wonder if I did anything else that caused this? Strange.
05-17-2020, 04:55 PM
RE: Holding Shift+On on my HP Prime G2 resets all memory content [EDIT: not anymore]
It also happens in G1, when I rebooted or there was a memory fault, all the data was erased, format disk solved the problem so I have no idea what causes it. Yes it's an unexpected behavior

Viga C | TD | FB
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-17-2020, 05:41 PM
RE: Holding Shift+On on my HP Prime G2 resets all memory content [EDIT: not anymore]
I remember having an app at some point that made the calculator very unstable and caused it to erase all memory when it crashed as well (usually at startup). A buggy app, or one that hasn't been installed properly, may be the reason you experience this behavior.
05-18-2020, 06:42 PM
RE: Shift+On on my HP Prime G2 resets all memory content [EDIT: now happens again!]
Ah, I got it back into that state, and now it reproduces again!

The calculator crashed while I was trying weird CAS stuff in the Polar app (giving the "your calculator had a problem" message), and it rebooted to a clean slate: Custom apps and other memory entry gone, Home settings back to defaults etc.

Since then, every time I press Shift+Up, the HP logo appears, then the screen stays black for a few seconds, then it boots back up with a clean slate again, all memory content I entered in the meantime gone.

Anything else I can do to diagnose this?
05-18-2020, 06:54 PM (This post was last modified: 05-18-2020 07:19 PM by anyfoo.)
RE: Holding Shift+On on my HP Prime G2 resets all memory content [EDIT: happens again]
It also happens if I just press the Reset button on the back: Everything gone, except clock, calculator name, and theme (as far as I can tell so far).

I'm keeping it in that state in case there are some diagnostics to be collected that could help. I'm a kernel engineer by trade, so I'm not scared to do weird stuff. (And since it's essentially empty now anyway, I'm not scared to try things out in general. Don't worry, I have backups.)

EDIT: It's worth noting that I haven't used CK since I last formatted the device, and all my backups are in text form. So I don't think there's a connection between using CK and getting into that state, in my case.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)