How do I copy state from virtual to hardware Primes using CK?
05-03-2020, 04:57 PM (This post was last modified: 05-03-2020 05:23 PM by Orome.)
How do I copy state from virtual to hardware Primes using CK?
What is the correct method for copying the state of one calculator to another using CK? I've tried backing up from one calculator and restoring to another, but that only works for virtual and iOS calculators. For my hardware calculators it seems to work; but as soon as turn off the calculator it reboots and wipes everything. Typically CK also crashes during the restore.

(Actually about 1 in 20 times, it works without crashing, but that just makes it more frustrating.)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-04-2020, 06:11 AM
RE: How do I copy state from virtual to hardware Primes using CK?
Hello,

Make sure that all devices are on the same version of the FW (well, concurent releases) and normally backup restore should work...

Cyrille

Although I work for the HP calculator group, the views and opinions I post here are my own. I do not speak for HP.
Find all posts by this user
05-04-2020, 01:49 PM
(05-04-2020 06:11 AM)cyrille de brébisson Wrote:  Make sure that all devices are on the same version of the FW (well, concurent releases) and normally backup restore should work...

Good to know that I'm using the right method. Bad though that it's not working (I have all the latest versions of software). So there's a bug somewhere.
05-04-2020, 08:31 PM
(05-04-2020 01:49 PM)Orome Wrote:  
(05-04-2020 06:11 AM)cyrille de brébisson Wrote:  Make sure that all devices are on the same version of the FW (well, concurent releases) and normally backup restore should work...

Good to know that I'm using the right method. Bad though that it's not working (I have all the latest versions of software). So there's a bug somewhere.

Have you tried fully clearing/resetting the target device before restoring the backup?

Of course this shouldn't matter, I'm just saying you should try it... because it may actually work, and it's easy to try.

--Bob Prosperi
05-04-2020, 08:35 PM
(05-04-2020 08:31 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  Of course this shouldn't matter, I'm just saying you should try it... because it may actually work, and it's easy to try.

Yes, completely. Reformatted drive. No change in outcome. I'm hearing more stories that mach my experience, so it seems CK is indeed broken on macOS.
05-05-2020, 06:02 AM
Hello,

Normally we do backup/restore tests... so I do not know why it is not working...

My best guess is that this is a 32/64 bit issue. From memory the mac CK is 64 bit, but the calculator is, of course 32.... It might be that there is some bug in the 64bit saving functions that are causing the 32 bit calculator to "choke" on the data when it tries to load it...

Would you mind sending me a "failing" backup so that I can try/test here and find the problem?

Thanks,
Cyrille

Although I work for the HP calculator group, the views and opinions I post here are my own. I do not speak for HP.
05-05-2020, 03:50 PM
Thank you Cyrille.
I thought I just had to send you a basic archive, but after having investigated on dozens of backup/restore cycles, I just can reproduce this :

CK crashes when :
1- restoring a backup to a hardware Prime
2- restoring a backup to another Prime, giving the same name to 2 different devices (the crash happens when trying to develop the tree of the calc)
3- cloning a Prime to another one, which might lead to the problem 1 or 2 above
4- after a turn-off-turn-on cycle on the HW Prime
5- after or during files, apps, or programs manipulation with HW Prime as a target
(4 & 5 happen randomly)
To be synthetic : CK crashes every time during normal use!

Prime problems :
- iOS Prime has no problem when being restored or being a target of a clone, wherever the archive comes from (HW or iOS).
- HW Prime performs a hard reboot after having been restored or the target of a clone (but is it a bug ?).
- HW Prime loses (at least) the stack data during restore... well I saw this yesterday, but could not reproduce today. Still investigating.

My testing archive is attached.
Thanks for your help.

Regards,
Thibault

PS :
- MacOs 10.15.4 (19E287)
- CK 2.1.14425 (2020 1 16)
- iOS Prime Software Version: 2.1.14346 (2019 11 21), Hardware Version: iPhone11,8, CAS Version: 1.5.0, Operating System: 13.3.1
- HW Prime Software Version: 2.1.14425 (2020 01 16), Hardware Version: C, CAS Version: 1.5.0, Operating System: V0.050.640

Attached File(s)
.zip  sample backup 2020-05-05.zip (Size: 24.43 KB / Downloads: 3)
05-05-2020, 10:53 PM (This post was last modified: 05-05-2020 10:53 PM by Orome.)
(05-05-2020 06:02 AM)cyrille de brébisson Wrote:  Would you mind sending me a "failing" backup so that I can try/test here and find the problem?

I'm having exactly the same experience as pinkman, let me know if you want a second backup to test.

Thanks for looking into this!
05-17-2020, 08:57 PM
Any progress on looking into this?

I just got a CK update but that didn't fix this issue or the odd calculator naming behavior (it seems to have improved the network connectivity bug, but that was always intermittent, so it's hard to be sure).
05-18-2020, 06:51 PM
Is there maybe a bug in the latest firmware that causes the calculator to tend to lose its memory content on resets? As detailed in another thread, I got my calculator back into a state where pressing the Reset button or merely holding Shift+On will clear almost all memory content (with the exception of name and Theme, as far as I can tell so far).

I'm keeping it in that state in case more diagnostics can be gained for debugging.
11-04-2020, 06:11 PM
(05-17-2020 08:57 PM)Orome Wrote:  Any progress on looking into this?

I just got a CK update but that didn't fix this issue or the odd calculator naming behavior (it seems to have improved the network connectivity bug, but that was always intermittent, so it's hard to be sure).
Any progress on this. Incredibly, months later, as near as I can tell. This still does not work. And my attempts to contact HP "support" have met with silence.

#StayTheFuckHome
12-17-2020, 08:09 PM
(11-04-2020 06:11 PM)Orome Wrote:  
(05-17-2020 08:57 PM)Orome Wrote:  Any progress on looking into this?

Any progress on this. Incredibly, months later, as near as I can tell. This still does not work. And my attempts to contact HP "support" have met with silence.
Still nothing from HP "support". Is the company still operating?
04-09-2021, 08:39 PM
(12-17-2020 08:09 PM)Orome Wrote:  
(11-04-2020 06:11 PM)Orome Wrote:  Any progress on this. Incredibly, months later, as near as I can tell. This still does not work. And my attempts to contact HP "support" have met with silence.
Still nothing from HP "support". Is the company still operating?
Still nothing from HP on my support request.

#StayTheFuckHome

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)