Casio Python updates
01-26-2021, 07:20 PM (This post was last modified: 01-26-2021 07:21 PM by critor.)
RE: Casio Python updates
(01-24-2021 04:56 PM)Benoit Morissette Wrote:  I received it new 3 days ago from EBay. It had the OS version 03.21.3200. I don't know if it had casioplot. I upgraded it almost immediately to 3.40.3200 from the Casio web site. Downloaded the latest manual too. I paid only 62CAN$ including shipping. You can't get a better calc. for that price!
No casioplot in version 3.21, good thing you did update it. Smile
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-13-2021, 06:27 PM
There is a lot of interest in Python on calculators these days. This tells me that:

1. the calculator in question offers deficient programming capabilities and Python is a better alternative

2. people think for some reason that their calculator with Python is superior

3. they long for calculators with full QWERY keys to program Python

If I was in charge to produce a new calculator line, the devices would look like a hybrid of these two:

[Image: 71.jpg]

[Image: pc-1475.jpg]

But with a larger (backlit) screen, CAS (e.g. xcas), and support for Python and also BASIC of course! Assembly and C would be nice too.

This device won't satisfy SAT/ACT. The dumbest thing ever was to give in on banning QWERTY keys to satisfy SAT/ACT requirements. This exposed many students to crappy calculators in school that they are not encouraged to use anymore in their careers e.g. as engineers.

I could also list the SHARP PC-E500(S) and PC-G850(V)(S) but the PC-1475 is more compact (portable) and very sleek!

- Rob

"I count on old friends" -- HP 71B,Prime|Ti VOY200,Nspire CXII CAS|Casio fx-CG50...|Sharp PC-G850,E500,2500,1500,14xx,13xx,12xx...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-13-2021, 10:14 PM
Hi, robve:

(02-13-2021 06:27 PM)robve Wrote:  There is a lot of interest in Python on calculators these days. This tells me that:

1. the calculator in question offers deficient programming capabilities and Python is a better alternative
2. people think for some reason that their calculator with Python is superior
3. they long for calculators with full QWERY keys to program Python

Python is ubiquitous, as BASIC was in its day, with the obvious important advantage that you don't need to waste time and effort learning all the nooks and crannies of yet another new proprietary programming language which will run on only a few calcs or even just one, like Hppl for the HP Prime. Myself, I would never bother to waste time learning such a niche language.

Quote:If I was in charge to produce a new calculator line, the devices would look like a hybrid of these two:[...]

The SHARP PC-1475 is an awesome pocket computer with 20-digit precision no less and indeed very compact, but such compactness carries the burden of a small 2-line display, which is quite limiting for writing and listing programs in it. I'd select instead any of the many SHARP models with 4-line displays or larger, such as the SHARP PC-1350 shown here (running my own Othello program):

[Image: SHARP%20Picture%20VA356%20-%20SHARP%20PC...CI7089.jpg]

V.

All My Articles & other Materials here:  Valentin Albillo's HP Collection

02-14-2021, 03:00 AM
(02-13-2021 10:14 PM)Valentin Albillo Wrote:  Python is ubiquitous, as BASIC was in its day, with the obvious important advantage that you don't need to waste time and effort learning all the nooks and crannies of yet another new proprietary programming language which will run on only a few calcs or even just one, like Hppl for the HP Prime. Myself, I would never bother to waste time learning such a niche language.

Absolutely! I don't lament the loss of BASIC in place of Python. Python is understandably easier than a calculator's builtin PL. But without QWERTY keys, Python is terrible to use. Python is more verbose than most calculator PLs that use symbols and calc keys for programs. A few people will try to learn and use these PL though.

SHARP (and other brands like CASIO) offer BASIC with abbreviations such as P. for PRINT and QWERTY keys to get the job done. Entering and editing programs is actually doable and does not feel like an afterthought. Writing some calc code on the fly is really quick and relatively easy. The PL integration is well engineered. Typing an algebraic expression followed by a DEF-key to execute a user program on it is just brilliant. Good engineering is a joy and lowers the bar for new users (that old users like me are still happy to enjoy).

Python may revive the popularity of graphing calculators somewhat if integrated better to operate on calc input/output and when the calc is equipped with QWERTY keys, but as long as Python is an afterthought, I don't see how graphing calculators have a future because tablets and phones may very well replace their use as we all know.

"I count on old friends" -- HP 71B,Prime|Ti VOY200,Nspire CXII CAS|Casio fx-CG50...|Sharp PC-G850,E500,2500,1500,14xx,13xx,12xx...

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)