Getting unformated numbers to ALPHA
03-02-2020, 10:46 AM
Getting unformated numbers to ALPHA
Hi,

Does anyone know how to get the number in X-register to ALPHA without unncessary digits, as following:

X --ARCL--> ALPHA
FIX 9 1.215,450000 1.215,450000

(comma separating integer from decimal; . as group separator)

AIP function, of Advantage Module, or ARCLI of CCD, both get only integer part.
Best wishes
Artur

ARTUR MARIO JUNIOR
BRAZIL
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-02-2020, 08:13 PM
RE: Getting unformated numbers to ALPHA
This has been discussed in the past.

What is "unnecessary digits"? It depends on what you are doing. Normally calculations involve round-off errors and the concept of precision of numbers being input.

Consider if you measure something with a ruler, a calliper or micro-meter. You will have different precision in the input. Showing a lot of decimals in the result makes little sense. You probably have a feeling for how many digits you can trust in the output and should set the display accordingly. The same in X as when appending to alpha register.

Other calculators show all digits and cut zeroes. Showing a long series of decimal far beyond the precision of the input makes no sense, and when encountered on a Casio (of the days) you need to round it in your head. It was much better with the HP-41.

Always three digits I was told in my engineering class, so I put my HP-41 in ENG 03 and got what I needed without having to bother about all the insignificant digits.

So to summarize, use a proper display setting. Those decimals winding off are probably just incorrect anyway. Whether they happen to be zero or not is (probably) irrelevant. You need to understand how much precision you have in your calculation and what is desirable. Configure the display setting on your HP-41 accordingly.
03-02-2020, 08:31 PM
See if FIXALL in Angel's WarpCore module does what you want.

http://WilsonMinesCo.com (Lots of HP-41 links at the bottom of the links page, http://wilsonminesco.com/links.html )
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-02-2020, 09:18 PM
(03-02-2020 08:13 PM)hth Wrote:  This has been discussed in the past.

What is "unnecessary digits"? It depends on what you are doing. Normally calculations involve round-off errors and the concept of precision of numbers being input.

Consider if you measure something with a ruler, a calliper or micro-meter. You will have different precision in the input. Showing a lot of decimals in the result makes little sense. You probably have a feeling for how many digits you can trust in the output and should set the display accordingly. The same in X as when appending to alpha register.

Other calculators show all digits and cut zeroes. Showing a long series of decimal far beyond the precision of the input makes no sense, and when encountered on a Casio (of the days) you need to round it in your head. It was much better with the HP-41.

Always three digits I was told in my engineering class, so I put my HP-41 in ENG 03 and got what I needed without having to bother about all the insignificant digits.

So to summarize, use a proper display setting. Those decimals winding off are probably just incorrect anyway. Whether they happen to be zero or not is (probably) irrelevant. You need to understand how much precision you have in your calculation and what is desirable. Configure the display setting on your HP-41 accordingly.
Hummmm... I believe round up numbers in The middle of long calculations a risk. Anyway, Not tô Eenter in this discussion, I was looking for removing leads zeros (as in 1.66000 - fix 5} or 1,234.98._ The comma isn't neceessary.
I had hope that synthetic or ML could help on getting the pure nunber from X registrer.
Best wishes
Artur

ARTUR MARIO JUNIOR
BRAZIL
03-02-2020, 11:44 PM
(03-02-2020 08:31 PM)Garth Wilson Wrote:  See if FIXALL in Angel's WarpCore module does what you want.

Wow!!! Those are The supreme programs to HP41. Are those routines in a module?

ARTUR MARIO JUNIOR
BRAZIL
03-03-2020, 01:59 AM
(03-02-2020 11:44 PM)Artur - Brasil Wrote:  
(03-02-2020 08:31 PM)Garth Wilson Wrote:  See if FIXALL in Angel's WarpCore module does what you want.

Wow!!! Those are The supreme programs to HP41. Are those routines in a module?

These modern module ROM images need to go into something like Diego's Clonix or NoV64 module, or a 41CL, or other such arrangement. I have the Clonix-41 with WarpCore, 41z, Library4, ZENROM, and Advantage programmed into it, then a double extended memory module, HPIL/XIO double module, and a free port left over, plus the things built into the 41cx.

The WarpCore has a load of functions all written in MCode that make programs in any discipline faster and more compact.

http://WilsonMinesCo.com (Lots of HP-41 links at the bottom of the links page, http://wilsonminesco.com/links.html )
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)