HP35 RedDot on TOS
02-01-2020, 10:02 PM
HP35 RedDot on TOS
On TOS you will find a HP35 RedDot for sale - a rare legend.
As an experienced collector I read the listing carefully and made notes:

- The computer was opened, so the back label is worthless.
- The serial number of the calculator is not readable.
- The mainboard of the computer was replaced by HP, no bug in the ROM.
- The optical condition of the calculator is ... let's say mediocre, but not bad. The RedDot is visible.
- As accessories, a leather case and a power supply is included, no manual and no hardcase.

But I was a little bit surprised when I looked at the price of the computer. I think $1600 is already too much.
I now have about a dozen RedDots in my collection, but except for one BIG Bug calculator I didn't pay more than $1200 for any of them (all unopened of course).
I would be interested in your expertise on this offer. What do you think and what do you think the calculator is worth?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-02-2020, 12:01 AM
RE: HP35 RedDot on TOS
(02-01-2020 10:02 PM)HP-Collection Wrote:  On TOS you will find a HP35 RedDot for sale - a rare legend.

- The computer was opened, so the back label is worthless.
- The serial number of the calculator is not readable.
- The mainboard of the computer was replaced by HP, no bug in the ROM.
- The optical condition of the calculator is ... let's say mediocre, but not bad. The RedDot is visible.
- As accessories, a leather case and a power supply is included, no manual and no hardcase.

But I was a little bit surprised when I looked at the price of the computer. I think $1600 is already too much.
I now have about a dozen RedDots in my collection, but except for one BIG Bug calculator I didn't pay more than $1200 for any of them (all unopened of course).
I would be interested in your expertise on this offer. What do you think and what do you think the calculator is worth?

I fully agree with you; for the IMHO poor cosmetic condition, this price is far too high, and I expect no one here would pay that. It's sad and frustrating that there are far too many people with more money than brains, so this unit will likely be purchased, thus raising the already stupid high price for these.

Often, sellers of rare and interesting items will list them on eBay at crazy high prices, simply to have inquiries from potential buyers in order to learn more about them, find out what buyers are looking for, etc. And if it happens to be purchased at the ridiculous high price, well then that's OK too.

Finally, note that there is a "Make an Offer" option, which is likely how this deal will go down.

OTOH, I've paid more than most people would for certain other items, for the simple reason that it was worth that to me. No doubt this is worth $1600 to someone... so it's a matter of how patient the seller will be. If he/she is patient, I predict it will be purchased.

--Bob Prosperi
Find all posts by this user
02-02-2020, 10:22 AM
I think we're getting our TLAs mixed up?

— Ian Abbott
02-02-2020, 11:19 AM
Pretty sure... There are no classifieds posted on TOS at the moment, but I do see an HP-35 being offered for $1599 OBO over on ebay.
02-02-2020, 11:41 AM
(02-01-2020 10:02 PM)HP-Collection Wrote:  On TOS you will find a HP35 RedDot for sale - a rare legend.

Isn't TAS The Auction Site (eBay) and TOS is The Other Site (another HP board)?

Tom L
Cui bono?
02-02-2020, 12:07 PM
Hello!

PLEASE!!! Why don't we just drop this TAS/TOS whatever nonsense for good (the wars that were fought out in this context date back over 20 years!) and call things by their name? We are all grown-ups. Please!

Have a nice Sunday
Max
02-02-2020, 01:27 PM
(02-02-2020 12:07 PM)Maximilian Hohmann Wrote:  Why don't we just drop this TAS/TOS whatever nonsense for good (the wars that were fought out in this context date back over 20 years!) and call things by their name? We are all grown-ups.
Totally agree! When I read these TAS/TOS stuffs, my interesting exponentially goes down about ALL discussion in the HPMuseum Forum. These topics like idiot kids in the sandbox.

BTW: What is TAS/TOS exactly?

Cs.
02-02-2020, 02:14 PM
TOS is in the hands of our common host.
TAS is really nonsense, just use eBay for heaven's sake!

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
02-02-2020, 05:35 PM
(02-02-2020 12:07 PM)Maximilian Hohmann Wrote:  Hello!

PLEASE!!! Why don't we just drop this TAS/TOS whatever nonsense for good (the wars that were fought out in this context date back over 20 years!) and call things by their name? We are all grown-ups. Please!

Have a nice Sunday
Max

Exactly! I think most people do it with tongue in cheek, these days, though. Maybe it's to say to others, "See? I've been here since the old days, you noob!"

Tom L
Cui bono?
02-02-2020, 05:37 PM (This post was last modified: 02-02-2020 05:38 PM by StephenG1CMZ.)
(02-02-2020 11:41 AM)toml_12953 Wrote:  

Isn't TAS The Auction Site (eBay) and TOS is The Other Site (another HP board)?

I thought TOS was The Original Series, as in Star Trek TOS vs Star Trek TNG.

I was expecting a photo of the HP35 from Star Trek TOS Sad

Stephen Lewkowicz (G1CMZ)
https://my.numworks.com/python/steveg1cmz
02-02-2020, 05:40 PM
(02-02-2020 05:37 PM)StephenG1CMZ Wrote:  
(02-02-2020 11:41 AM)toml_12953 Wrote:  Isn't TAS The Auction Site (eBay) and TOS is The Other Site (another HP board)?

I thought TOS was The Original Series, as in Star Trek TOS vs Star Trek TNG.

I was expecting a photo of the HP from Star Trek TOS Sad

In terms of Star Trek, TOS means "The Only Startrek"

Or as Picard said when he saw an old Singer machine sitting idle, "Make it sew!"

Tom L
Cui bono?
02-02-2020, 05:49 PM
(02-02-2020 05:40 PM)toml_12953 Wrote:  In terms of Star Trek, TOS means "The Only Startrek"

Bah!

Greetings,
    Massimo

02-02-2020, 05:53 PM
Hello!

(02-02-2020 05:35 PM)toml_12953 Wrote:  Exactly! I think most people do it with tongue in cheek, these days, though.

Maybe. But "tongue in cheek" implies some degree of originality or "funniness", neither of which has been present in this TAS/TOS nonsense since at least 1989 or so. It is plain annoying, nothing else.

Live long and prosper!
Max
02-02-2020, 06:36 PM
(02-02-2020 05:53 PM)Maximilian Hohmann Wrote:  Maybe. But "tongue in cheek" implies some degree of originality or "funniness", neither of which has been present in this TAS/TOS nonsense since at least 1989 or so. It is plain annoying, nothing else.

Live long and prosper!
Max

Of course, in theory you are right Max, and "eBay" is just about as easy as writing "TAS", so we agree on that, and that's what I write.

However for the other TLA, if you can come up with shorter/more convenient way of saying The Other Site, which we cannot mention by name, because the forum software will not allow it, then I'd be happy to adopt it, but until then, TOS is what I'll use, because it's easy and pretty universally understood here.

--Bob Prosperi
02-02-2020, 08:47 PM
I completely agree with my typo. I also think that "Ebay" sounds better and is a lot clearer Wink
But now let's get back to my question. What do the other collectors here think about the condition / price of the calculator?
02-02-2020, 09:21 PM
Hello!

(02-02-2020 08:47 PM)HP-Collection Wrote:  But now let's get back to my question. What do the other collectors here think about the condition / price of the calculator?

A "red dot" is a pure collector's item (actually the only LED calculator from HP that I don't have yet). It has no other value whatsoever, in fact for non-collectors it is just another piece of electronic junk, even worse than a smartphone from last year.

And as a collector's item I fully agree with you that it needs to be in good and - more importantly - original, shape. The one you are talking about here has no value at all. Around here, you would even have to pay in order to get the cadmium in it's batteries disposed of in the correct way.

Regards
Max
02-02-2020, 10:24 PM
(02-02-2020 08:47 PM)HP-Collection Wrote:  I completely agree with my typo. I also think that "Ebay" sounds better and is a lot clearer ;)
But now let's get back to my question. What do the other collectors here think about the condition / price of the calculator?

That price is absolutely out of question given its condition, but someone will probably buy it, if still missing from his/her collection and with enough money at hand.

But I remember that you once bought an empty box (for a HP10A, IIRC) for an astonishing amount (from my point of view). So, you see, to each his own... ;)

Greetings,
    Massimo

02-02-2020, 11:29 PM
That reminds me of the tale of an "Xbox box" being auctioned for about the price of an Xbox... Probably bought by someone assuming it was a typo for"Xbox".

Stephen Lewkowicz (G1CMZ)
https://my.numworks.com/python/steveg1cmz
02-03-2020, 08:41 PM (This post was last modified: 02-04-2020 06:45 AM by Massimo Gnerucci.)
There is another one on eBay UK, freshly put on auction, with such tag.
Starting at only £49.99 O.B.O.

Unfortunately, it's not a Red Dot at all. Sad

Greetings,
    Massimo

02-03-2020, 10:04 PM
(02-02-2020 11:29 PM)StephenG1CMZ Wrote:  That reminds me of the tale of an "Xbox box" being auctioned for about the price of an Xbox... Probably bought by someone assuming it was a typo for"Xbox".
It doesn't matter how careful you are in your description. Someone will either not read it at all or not understand it. I just sold a computer that uses an external wall wart power supply which was not included in the auction and has no manual available. I specifically stated that in the ad. What's the first email I got from the buyer when he received the computer? "Could you send me the manual and power supply? I assumed it would come with a manual and power supply." This guy uses PhD after his name! I wonder what field he got his degree in. It seems like it must have been from a diploma mill.

Ugh!

Tom L
Cui bono?

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)