Introduction
01-26-2020, 02:37 PM
Introduction
Hi,

My name is Bas and I am starting to show early signs of Calcoholism.

My father used to bring his HP calculators home from work and let me fool around with them. First a HP25 and later a HP41c, with card reader and printer. I spent hours programming, playing "Hunt the Wumpus" and other games.

When I reached the age of 20 I bought my own HP41CV and this has been my favorite gadget ever since. I love the design, look and feel. On every device I have owned every since I had to have the HP41 app. From first Palm devices, to Windows Phone, iPhone, iPad and Android.

Having come of age my interest in all things HP41 has flared up again and I find myself scouring through eBay on the lookout for a HP41CX, printer and card reader. Also looking into the wonderful world of Roms and Pacs.

I'm looking forward to like minded people on this forum and learning a lot of all the things the make up the HP calculator world.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-26-2020, 08:38 PM (This post was last modified: 01-26-2020 08:39 PM by Archilog.)
RE: Introduction
You are very welcome, Bas!
01-26-2020, 09:49 PM
Hello Bas, from a fellow 41 lover.

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-27-2020, 07:19 PM
Hello Bas!

Google "41CL" and marvel at what Monte has created. I guarantee that you'll want one. It's a 41C replacement CPU that runs at normal speed, or 2x, 5x, 10x, 20x or 50x multiples. It has hundreds of ROM images built in that you can virtually plug into ports at will.

A word of caution on card readers: they have a small polyurethane wheel that pulls the card through the reader. All of the original wheels disintegrated into goo years ago. Every single one. So if you acquire a card reader, ask when the "gummy wheel" was replaced. If the sellers doesn't know what you mean, then you will probably have to replace it yourself.

Come to HHC!! The annual US conference will be in Nashville this year. I think the date is the first weekend in October. Hobnob with other HP fanatics. I guarantee you'll have fun.

Dave
01-27-2020, 09:36 PM
(01-27-2020 07:19 PM)David Hayden Wrote:  Hello Bas!

Google "41CL" and marvel at what Monte has created.

It's at http://www.systemyde.com/pdf/sy41cl.pdf

Is it still available though? Monte said in 2017 that the IC he was using to make it was going out of production. See the topic at http://hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-8507.html .

http://WilsonMinesCo.com (Lots of HP-41 links at the bottom of the links page, http://wilsonminesco.com/links.html )
01-27-2020, 11:14 PM
(01-27-2020 09:36 PM)Garth Wilson Wrote:  
(01-27-2020 07:19 PM)David Hayden Wrote:  Hello Bas!

Google "41CL" and marvel at what Monte has created.

It's at http://www.systemyde.com/pdf/sy41cl.pdf

Is it still available though? Monte said in 2017 that the IC he was using to make it was going out of production. See the topic at http://hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-8507.html .

The current batch is all gone. I found replacements for all but one of the devices that are obsolete. But I bought all of DigiKey's remaining stock of that one device last year, so I am good for one more batch.
01-28-2020, 11:58 AM
Hi David,

(01-27-2020 07:19 PM)David Hayden Wrote:  Google "41CL" and marvel at what Monte has created.

Yes, that looks very impressive. However, I'm still a bit on the fence whether to get this or the DM41X. Also, I would need a donor machine for this, and since my current collection consists of one HP-41CV halfnut, it may not be a viable path (at least for now). The additional consideration would, of course, be budget. I can spend some money on this, but it is a finite resource :-), and I'm focussing my primary attention first on collecting the rarer items.

(01-27-2020 07:19 PM)David Hayden Wrote:  A word of caution on card readers: they have a small polyurethane wheel that pulls the card through the reader.

Yes, I have read this, and I also find this the charm of this hobby. Find (semi) broken vintage hardware and fix or even improve it. Luckily this board and others are a treasure trove of information, guidance, and pointers to spare parts.

(01-27-2020 07:19 PM)David Hayden Wrote:  Come to HHC!! The annual US conference will be in Nashville this year.

As I'm based in the Netherlands going to Nashville is a bit of a trip, but I frequently visit the US for work (NYC and Atlanta), so who knows, maybe I can combine business with pleasure at some point.
01-28-2020, 12:08 PM (This post was last modified: 01-28-2020 12:09 PM by wbvreeuwijk.)
Hi Monte,

(01-27-2020 11:14 PM)Monte Dalrymple Wrote:  
(01-27-2020 09:36 PM)Garth Wilson Wrote:  It's at http://www.systemyde.com/pdf/sy41cl.pdf

The current batch is all gone. I found replacements for all but one of the devices that are obsolete. But I bought all of DigiKey's remaining stock of that one device last year, so I am good for one more batch.

You've done some amazing work here, based on the above do you expect to be able to build another batch? and how big is this batch?
Also, other than needing the donor machine to be a fullnut HP41 with the right LCD drivers are there other things I should be aware of in search of a donor machine?
01-28-2020, 01:14 PM
(01-28-2020 12:08 PM)wbvreeuwijk Wrote:  Also, other than needing the donor machine to be a fullnut HP41 with the right LCD drivers are there other things I should be aware of in search of a donor machine?
Get the 41CL User Manual then go to the Installing the 41CL circuit board section, the information is there.
01-28-2020, 06:13 PM
(01-28-2020 11:58 AM)wbvreeuwijk Wrote:  As I'm based in the Netherlands going to Nashville is a bit of a trip, but I frequently visit the US for work (NYC and Atlanta), so who knows, maybe I can combine business with pleasure at some point.

A bit closer to home there's the meeting in Allschwil (just inside Switzerland right next to the borders with France and Germany) taking place in November this year.

There are only 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
01-28-2020, 11:04 PM
(01-28-2020 12:08 PM)wbvreeuwijk Wrote:  You've done some amazing work here, based on the above do you expect to be able to build another batch? and how big is this batch?
Also, other than needing the donor machine to be a fullnut HP41 with the right LCD drivers are there other things I should be aware of in search of a donor machine?

Thank you. Yes, I plan to do another batch of 50. Any fullnut will work, it's just a question of how much work will be required. As Sylvain said, there are suggestions in the manual for choosing a donor machine.
01-29-2020, 07:12 PM
Hi Bas,

I am based in NL and may be able to help out. I have a likely donor for the 41CL available, and can install it for you. I also recommend to go the the Allschwill meeting,

Regards, Meindert
01-31-2020, 11:39 PM
(01-29-2020 07:12 PM)MeindertKuipers Wrote:  Hi Bas,

I am based in NL and may be able to help out. I have a likely donor for the 41CL available, and can install it for you. I also recommend to go the the Allschwill meeting,

Thanks for the offer Meindert, much appreciated. I recently bought a donor on eBay, but depending on its state I will take you up on your offer. Based on the 41CL manual it looks like I will be able to install it myself. But when that time comes I will get in touch for tips and tricks.

The Allschwill meeting sounds like a good idea. Are there any more details on this meeting available online?

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)