Help!Missing Functions
12-31-2019, 03:58 PM
Help!Missing Functions
Hello everybody, so I picked up an HP48SX and it appears to be missing some functions. For example, I am trying to use the function to change HMS to degrees decimal. I press shift TIME and I get the message "EMPTY CATALOG" this isn't the only time that this happens but it is the first and more important functions that I use. It seems as like some of the original functions have been erased. I tried resetting the calculator and that did not fix the problem. Does anyone have and solutions for this?

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-31-2019, 07:48 PM
RE: Help!Missing Functions
Make sure you're pressing the orange/left shift key that matches the color of the "TIME" label over the 4 key. I don't have my 48SX in front of me (I keep it on my desk at work), but I believe right-shift TIME takes you directly to the alarm catalog, which is empty as you can see.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-31-2019, 09:54 PM
So the functions I am trying to find are the HMS-> and ->HMS from my recollection on the HP48gx that I used to own, those were located when pressing the right shift TIME. When I do the orange, left shift TIME, I get the clock and alarm options such as SET, ADJUST, ACK, ACKA, and CAT.
12-31-2019, 11:39 PM
Dave is exactly right. The error msg seen in your screen shot is from pressing BLUE (aka Right)-shift and TIME, you need to press YELLOW (aka Left)-shift and TIME.

--Bob Prosperi
01-01-2020, 02:03 AM
(12-31-2019 11:39 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  Dave is exactly right. The error msg seen in your screen shot is from pressing BLUE (aka Right)-shift and TIME, you need to press YELLOW (aka Left)-shift and TIME.

... and then press either NXT NXT, or left-shift PREV, to see the HMS functions.

<0|ΙΈ|0>
-Joe-
01-01-2020, 02:24 AM
(12-31-2019 09:54 PM)markusmartinez1977 Wrote:  So the functions I am trying to find are the HMS-> and ->HMS from my recollection on the HP48gx that I used to own, those were located when pressing the right shift TIME. When I do the orange, left shift TIME, I get the clock and alarm options such as SET, ADJUST, ACK, ACKA, and CAT.

That is correct for the GX, where they changed the menu system around a bit. On the GX, typically left-shift brings up the choose menu for the application, and right-shift takes you to the soft-key menu. On the SX, where choose menus don't exist, you just hit left-shift to get to the menu, and press NXT to get to what you need. The right-shifted application keys often take you to a specific sub-menu for that application that might be commonly used (the alarm catalog, in the case of the time application; I forget where the other ones lead).

And to clarify, the "application" keys on the 48SX have names printed in orange on a slightly darkened rectangle.
01-07-2020, 02:41 PM
Thanks for all of your help everyone. I found it :-)

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)