DM42 possible for audio beep keypress feedback?
10-08-2019, 11:54 PM
DM42 possible for audio beep keypress feedback?
Hi, is there a way to set the DM42 so that it makes a beep sound for keypresses?

This helps confirm keys are actually pressed.

The keyboard is still not that easy to use. I don't quite know why, but the HP calculators don't give me this kind of problem. I seem to have to err on the side of pressing hard on the DM42 keys to ensure digits or operations are not missed (despite having flexed the keyboard and flash upgraded).
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-09-2019, 01:09 AM
RE: DM42 possible for audio beep keypress feedback?
(10-08-2019 11:54 PM)lemontea Wrote:  Hi, is there a way to set the DM42 so that it makes a beep sound for keypresses?

This helps confirm keys are actually pressed.

The keyboard is still not that easy to use. I don't quite know why, but the HP calculators don't give me this kind of problem. I seem to have to err on the side of pressing hard on the DM42 keys to ensure digits or operations are not missed (despite having flexed the keyboard and flash upgraded).

No, there is no key-click sound option.

The feel of the DM42 is definitely different from the famous HP click/feel, in fact the DM42 keys are actually slightly harder to press than the HP42S keys, so the feedback to know you've pressed the key is slightly different.

2 considerations here:

1. When you reassemble the DM42, take great care to ensure the keyboard is perfectly aligned, as if the raised point on the back of the key is not very closely aligned with the center of the dome, the key-press may not register exactly. This seems to happen occasionally when folks open their machines, so it may not be aligned precisely, but it's easy to adjust - just open the back, re-align carefully and close the unit.

2. Over time, the DM42 keys "wear-in" a bit and become more consistent and reliable. No doubt there is a bit of "you're also getting used to it" going on here as well, but the combined effect seems to be that with extended use, your feel becomes more intuitive.

--Bob Prosperi
10-09-2019, 02:29 AM
Ok thanks Bob.

I think I did align it properly but will check again.

On another note, I always think about repurposing my vintage HP calculators' keypads, at least from ones that are not working well, and 3D printing the rest of it (back of the case, battery compartment, etc) and even doing the whole circuit board again, with new CPU and emulation, updated LCD/OLED, etc. But all that takes time to think about. My skill level is nowhere close to immediately knowing what to do.

All this just to replicate the key feel and user interface haha.

I think I still prefer the 48GX user interface, compared to the 42S... time will tell.
10-10-2019, 01:27 AM
I use my DM42 every day, but I've never been in love with the keyboard. I've only managed to get it to the point of "good enough", and this has required key flexing, inserting cut up Post-It notes to level the Enter key, multiple attempts to disassemble and clean the keyboard contacts (including this morning), and nearly 2 years of use. Also, the print is wearing off the EXIT and down arrow keys.

If I hadn't been spoiled by the speed, substantial memory increase, I/O, and realtime clock, I'd stick with my 42S just for the much better keyboard.

In regards to the 48, I love that series, but it's kind of a pain to write menu-based programs like you can with KEYG, KEYX, and MENU on the 42S. The 48's local variables simplify very simple programs and user-defined functions, and the structured flow control and object system makes complex programs more manageable, but there's sort of this middle tier of program complexity that just ends up being easier to do on a 42S.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)