HP-19c separating the printer
06-29-2019, 04:32 AM
HP-19c separating the printer
Is there an easy way to temporarily disconnect the printer from the rest of the calculator for diagnostic purposes? I would have thought the flex circuit could be just removed from its edge connector, but the one I have won't budge.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-29-2019, 12:40 PM (This post was last modified: 06-29-2019 12:41 PM by teenix.)
RE: HP-19c separating the printer
(06-29-2019 04:32 AM)[kby] Wrote:  Is there an easy way to temporarily disconnect the printer from the rest of the calculator for diagnostic purposes? I would have thought the flex circuit could be just removed from its edge connector, but the one I have won't budge.

If it is the same setup as for the 97 printer, then a tool may be required to extract the ribbon cable from the PCB connector.

The connector contact fingers are arranged to allow the ribbon cable to slide in relatively easy, but will "bite" down on the cable when trying to pull it out. Thus the cable stays fixed in the connector in normal use.

A tool can be made out of soft drink can aluminium, cut to the ribbon width, then folded a couple of times at one end for stiffening. Then holding the folded end, carefully slide the thin aluminium between the connector contacts and the ribbon cable to separate them, then slide both out together.

cheers

Tony
07-02-2019, 04:13 AM
RE: HP-19c separating the printer
Thanks Tony; will give that a try.-kby

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)