WTB hp-71b hp-il module
06-07-2019, 09:36 PM
WTB hp-71b hp-il module
Hi all

Wondering whether anyone has an hpil module for a hp-71b lying around that they would be willing to part with.

Cheers

Richard
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-08-2019, 12:01 AM
RE: WTB hp-71b hp-il module
Hello Richard,
FYI, Adam Jones is currently selling an HP-IL Module Rev. B for the HP-71B at a very reasonable price. (eBay: 133076513367)
Sylvain
06-08-2019, 01:09 AM
Hi, I have one that's NOS (New Old Stock) with manual, quick ref guide, short HP-IL cable, tested working, for $80 plus actual shipping cost. I'm happy to send you pix if you want. The box is a bit beat up, but everything inside is in very good to mint condition. I have several of these, to be posted here within the next week or two. Let me know if you're interested! Thanks!
Regards,
- Vince Calkins
06-08-2019, 10:08 AM
(06-08-2019 01:09 AM)calkinsv Wrote:  Hi, I have one that's NOS (New Old Stock) with manual, quick ref guide, short HP-IL cable, tested working, for $80 plus actual shipping cost. I'm happy to send you pix if you want. The box is a bit beat up, but everything inside is in very good to mint condition. I have several of these, to be posted here within the next week or two. Let me know if you're interested! Thanks!
Regards,
- Vince Calkins

Hi Vince. Looks similar to a couple on ebay. Can you please send me a few pic. What would the pistage cost to New South Wales 2305 in Australia ?

Thanks Sylvain, the postage cost makes the ebay item you mention cost prohibitive.

Cheers
06-08-2019, 02:46 PM
Quote:Thanks Sylvain, the postage cost makes the ebay item you mention cost prohibitive.

Indeed. About 61.49 € for the module + 58.96 € for the shipping is far too much, methinks.

HP-IL modules for the 71B are very common, thousands of them were available in the second-hand market, every HP-71B I bought years ago (for peanuts) came with one attached, they were from the UK.

V.

All My Articles & other Materials here:  Valentin Albillo's HP Collection

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-08-2019, 05:46 PM (This post was last modified: 06-08-2019 06:11 PM by Dave Frederickson.)
(06-08-2019 02:46 PM)Valentin Albillo Wrote:  HP-IL modules for the 71B are very common, thousands of them were available in the second-hand market, every HP-71B I bought years ago (for peanuts) came with one attached, they were from the UK.

Note that the HP-IL module Adam has on eBay is version 1B, which is not so common. If you can live with the bugs in the 1A module then keep looking. Otherwise, the fixes to the 1B module may be worth the difference.

(06-08-2019 02:46 PM)Valentin Albillo Wrote:  Indeed. About 61.49 € for the module + 58.96 € for the shipping is far too much, methinks.

First-Class Package International Service for a 8 oz. package from the U.S. to Australia is only 14.25 USD. I'm sure that the shipping method can be negotiated with Adam.

Dave
06-08-2019, 07:21 PM
This seems to be a relatively new problem with eBay; much of the US stuff I view (I'm in the UK) ships here using some external rip-off postal service, e.g. cables for $20 + $50 shipping.

Great if you can negotiate with the seller, not so good if they don't want the hassle.

And don't get me started on most of the 71b stuff being sold for insane prices (plus insane shipping prices) by a single seller Sad

Cambridge, UK
41CL/DM41X 12/15C/16C DM15/16 17B/II/II+ 28S 42S/DM42 32SII 48GX 50g 35s WP34S PrimeG2 WP43S/pilot
Casio, Rockwell 18R
06-08-2019, 08:28 PM
(06-08-2019 07:21 PM)cdmackay Wrote:  This seems to be a relatively new problem with eBay; much of the US stuff I view (I'm in the UK) ships here using some external rip-off postal service, e.g. cables for $20 + $50 shipping.

As many sellers refused to ship to international customers (mostly US sellers to anywhere else) eBay started a service where eBay takes care of everything, at a notable price increase.

Sellers often aren't motivated enough to learn that shipping international is essentially the same complexity as shipping domestically. Other, more sketchy sellers don't want to take a chance on expensive rtn ship charges if what they sell is defective, not accurately described, etc.

Smart, reputable sellers have learned that if you play right, it's really just a much bigger marketplace, especially since HP items often sell for more in other markets, than here in USA.

(06-08-2019 07:21 PM)cdmackay Wrote:  And don't get me started on most of the 71b stuff being sold for insane prices (plus insane shipping prices) by a single seller Sad

It's true, prices for 71 items (and many, many other HP models) have risen a lot in the past several years, and from mostly all sellers, not just one or two. And though I don't like it either, the market dynamic is the same as everywhere else; as long as people are still willing to pay the increasing prices, they will keep increasing.

While FORTH/Assembler ROMs sold for $200 just a few years ago, the last couple have sold for $400-ish within a day. Can you honestly say that knowing those numbers, you would sell one for less?

Folks that are new to selling on eBay almost instantly learn which class of items sell fast and for high amounts, and unfortunately for us, that includes HP calculators.

--Bob Prosperi
06-08-2019, 11:10 PM
thanks Bob, good points.

I'd quibble with a couple, e.g. the seller I'm thinking of has items up for at least double what I've seen comparable items go for, recently, and in fact the items aren't selling.

I may be paranoid, but I fear an attempt to buy up common items cheap, until you're the only person offering any, then sell them for extortionate prices.

e.g. $80 for a manual that I picked up for $20 a month previously.

but, as I say, I'm paranoid.

And your points are good, regardless, as ever! thanks Smile

Cambridge, UK
41CL/DM41X 12/15C/16C DM15/16 17B/II/II+ 28S 42S/DM42 32SII 48GX 50g 35s WP34S PrimeG2 WP43S/pilot
Casio, Rockwell 18R
06-09-2019, 01:21 AM
(06-08-2019 11:10 PM)cdmackay Wrote:  I'd quibble with a couple, e.g. the seller I'm thinking of has items up for at least double what I've seen comparable items go for, recently, and in fact the items aren't selling.

When that happens I make an offer for what I'd really be willing to pay. I am frequently stunned when sellers accept offers for well under what they're asking for. Not long ago I got something for about 60% of the BIN price.

(06-08-2019 11:10 PM)cdmackay Wrote:  I may be paranoid, but I fear an attempt to buy up common items cheap, until you're the only person offering any, then sell them for extortionate prices.

e.g. $80 for a manual that I picked up for $20 a month previously.

but, as I say, I'm paranoid.

I think that's the basic tactic; find and buy the items before anyone else can.

I'm in NY but even if I look early in the morning, you've still got a 6 hour head-start. Smile

It often comes down to how much time/effort you're willing to put into searching the new listings.

And though paranoia has an iffy reputation, it can have its beneficial aspects too...

--Bob Prosperi
06-09-2019, 04:21 AM
Hi, all,

My 2 cents on the shipping charge issue - earlier in the year I offered a number of HP-41 modules here, with international buyers to pay actual shipping charges - no markup, it would just be me using whichever carrier would get it there reliably and inexpensively. I was quite surprised when the USPS indicated it would be a minimum of $40 or so to ship to the UK, or Spain, where I received some inquiries. But UPS and Fedex were even more - quite a lot more, to the extent that the prospective buyers declined. Amazing! So while domestic shipping of a 41 module would be less than $5, going outside of the country is quite expensive - and the USPS won't even track the package the whole way, they just stop in NY or somewhere along the way outside of the border and if the local national postal service doesn't track it, I would have no way to know if it arrived or not.

I think now that I may have been misinformed by my local post office, though, because of the prices I saw later for the international shipping services at a different location, so I will ask again and make sure. It's still not cheap, though, and the lack of tracking could be an issue.

I buy a number of things via eBay and Amazon from other countries, and especially from Japan and Asia in general, and there seems to be an agreement that lets packages come in to the US relatively cheaply - although the Trump administration is apparently likely to not renew its participation, so things are likely to start costing more to come here as well. Wonderful!

With that said, if anyone knows of a better carrier for me, from the USA, to use to ship such small items to international HP fans and collectors, please let me know! I believe my item prices are reasonable and I am not making any profit on the shipping, just don't want to lose on it either. I'm a long-time HP user (since 1980 in high school), fan, and collector too, and along the way I've acquired some extra / duplicate items, and that's what I'm selling. It's not a business, I would just like to make sure the things I don't need, but which are still good and working, can get to others who will appreciate them too!

Thanks!

- Vince Calkins
06-09-2019, 01:07 PM
(06-09-2019 04:21 AM)calkinsv Wrote:  I was quite surprised when the USPS indicated it would be a minimum of $40 or so to ship to the UK, or Spain, where I received some inquiries. But UPS and Fedex were even more - quite a lot more, to the extent that the prospective buyers declined. Amazing! So while domestic shipping of a 41 module would be less than $5, going outside of the country is quite expensive - and the USPS won't even track the package the whole way, they just stop in NY or somewhere along the way outside of the border and if the local national postal service doesn't track it, I would have no way to know if it arrived or not.

The person you spoke with is stupid or lazy, perhaps both, but in any case, wrong. I often ship to UK, France, Germany, Spain, Italy and it's NOT that expensive. For a small pkg, it's closer to $20 for First-Class (i.e. not Priority, but still Airmail with tracking) but exact price depends on weight, pkg. size, etc. Though size matters, weight is a bigger factor, so use those air-bags to pack stuff.

Tracking for USPS international shipments is via Customs Tracking numbers; you can track your shipment via USPS website up until the pkg reaches the Customs office in the destination country. After that, tracking (using the same Customs Tracking number) is done via the postal service in that country, so send your buyer the Customs Tracking number so he/she can follow it once it arrives in their country).

(06-09-2019 04:21 AM)calkinsv Wrote:  With that said, if anyone knows of a better carrier for me, from the USA, to use to ship such small items to international HP fans and collectors, please let me know! I believe my item prices are reasonable and I am not making any profit on the shipping, just don't want to lose on it either. I'm a long-time HP user (since 1980 in high school), fan, and collector too, and along the way I've acquired some extra / duplicate items, and that's what I'm selling. It's not a business, I would just like to make sure the things I don't need, but which are still good and working, can get to others who will appreciate them too!

From USA to Europe, your best bet will be USPS, but maybe visit a different branch? Tell them you want to send via First Class, and be sure to get your tracking number. You will have to fill out a customs form (small form for pkgs less than 4 lbs. and the larger form for 4+ lbs; forms available at any PO) and fill in the correct item value - many buyers will ask you to fill in a low number to save them customs fees and/or taxes, but don't. They should solve that problem by voting.

Shipping to/from Australia (and probably NZ?) is by far the most expensive destination (from/to USA) but it's literally on the farthest possible place on earth, so I guess that makes sense. I've been told that Fedex and UPS have cheaper options than USPS, but the one time I checked, USPS was in fact cheaper.

What's your eBay seller name? Members here would probably feel better buying from a fellow collector that could also be contacted here.

And thanks for your fair pricing no-markup shipping policy!

--Bob Prosperi
06-09-2019, 01:35 PM
Take a look at http://www.shipgooder.com to see the range of prices and options for all kinds of shipping. Or even check USPS rates online. I'm surprised anyone even answered the phone at your local Post Office :>)

Jack
http://www.computerarium.org
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-09-2019, 03:04 PM
thanks Bob,

(06-09-2019 01:21 AM)rprosperi Wrote:  When that happens I make an offer for what I'd really be willing to pay. I am frequently stunned when sellers accept offers for well under what they're asking for. Not long ago I got something for about 60% of the BIN price.

Indeed, although most sales I see do not have "make an offer" option; that seems to be the exception. When it's there, I use it, and I'm often pleasantly surprised.

Or do you mean that you make an offer via "contact seller" even though it's not a formal option?

Yes, I try to check my areas of interest regularly, as you say.

Cambridge, UK
Casio, Rockwell 18R
06-09-2019, 04:05 PM
(06-09-2019 03:04 PM)cdmackay Wrote:  thanks Bob,

(06-09-2019 01:21 AM)rprosperi Wrote:  When that happens I make an offer for what I'd really be willing to pay. I am frequently stunned when sellers accept offers for well under what they're asking for. Not long ago I got something for about 60% of the BIN price.

Indeed, although most sales I see do not have "make an offer" option; that seems to be the exception. When it's there, I use it, and I'm often pleasantly surprised.

Or do you mean that you make an offer via "contact seller" even though it's not a formal option?

Yes, I try to check my areas of interest regularly, as you say.

When I want an item that has been listed for some time, I use the "Make an Offer" button when it's there, but do it via "Contact Seller..." if not. For many sellers, it seems the "Make an Offer" is an invitation for them to counter-offer your offer somewhere in-between. I suppose that's fair, but it also encourages folks to low-ball, thus defeating the purpose of making a fair offer.

I've also succeeded in a 2nd or 3rd round of offers, so it's worth following through. My experience is that firm "take my offer or leave it" most often results in no sale, so it's good to be fair and reasonable.

The important thing about buying via eBay (and all auction sites) is knowing how much you really are willing to pay before engaging in negotiations.

--Bob Prosperi
06-10-2019, 03:26 AM
Thanks, Bob, Jack, for the information on international shipping, I will check it out. I agree about the person at the local "Post Awful", but I was there in person, not on the phone, so they told me something inaccurate directly to my face!

If I can send small items internationally as inexpensively as $20 or so, and have them tracked along the way, that will be much better than I was expecting! And better for the buyer too!

Thanks again!

And, for what it's worth, my eBay ID is: calkinsv999

- Vince
06-10-2019, 03:12 PM
thanks Bob!

Cambridge, UK
Casio, Rockwell 18R

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)