hp-Prime 2019
05-31-2019, 01:43 PM (This post was last modified: 07-25-2019 06:03 PM by compsystems.)
hp-Prime 2019
Hi. Normally, a new hp-Prime firmware update is released every 6 months. I think we are about to receive a new update. I hope that the hpprime team can include micro-python, as a stand-alone application, the CASIO, NUMWORKS, and TI competition already got on this train.

Introducing the new Python menu of the Graph 90+E Casio Calculator

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-31-2019, 03:53 PM
RE: hp-Prime 2019-I
Looking forward to New Firmware and CAS

study hard, improve every day
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-01-2019, 01:20 AM
Hello
Anything that is new will be welcome in future firmware, but if I may choose in what to use the resources, will be in improve maths capabilities.

Instead of implement new languages which are always limited on a calculator, with limited libraries allowed to be downloaded in it, it may be more interesting for me to implement new features regarding math, which I think is the main goal of a calculator.

For example:
Improve several variables calculus like
• Limits in 2 or 3 variables
• Taylor polynomial with 2 or 3 variables

Increase precision. 20 digits? The new G2 is fast enough to allow it.

Improve 3d graphs and geometry. Introduce the possibility to draw lines in 3d with their equations.

And so on.
Just my opinion and wishes
Thanks

Toni
06-01-2019, 01:12 PM (This post was last modified: 06-01-2019 01:13 PM by compsystems.)
There is a group of users (teachers and students) who would be interested in Micropython, especially its language that is used to initiate algorithmic and coding logic. I also believe that it occupies very little space, was developed mainly for embedded systems with microcontroller.

https://micropython.org/
06-01-2019, 08:30 PM
For me PPL is very good and enough for a calculator.
If you want to learn or teach Python install it on your tablet or smartphone !

— Dirk Hartland
06-01-2019, 08:53 PM
I think the main things missing from HP PPL are structured data types and multi-dimensional arrays.

— Ian Abbott
06-01-2019, 09:46 PM
Imagine if the major Python scientific, extended math and numeric libraries could be used with micropython - e.g. numpy, scipy - what amazing power that would give this calculator. However this post says those libraries will likely never be ported to micropython, and also that their size is prohibitive.
06-02-2019, 02:46 AM
Maple 2018 includes numerous cutting-edge updates in a variety of branches of mathematics.

Attached File(s)
.pdf  Advanced Math.pdf (Size: 517.08 KB / Downloads: 63)

study hard, improve every day
06-02-2019, 08:46 AM
Dear All,

In my opinion, the best news about a Prime firmware update would be the announcement of a full implementation of RPL, so that there will be full access to the stack within the programming again.

Best regards

Karl
06-02-2019, 02:27 PM
(06-02-2019 08:46 AM)Karl-Ludwig Butte Wrote:  Dear All,

In my opinion, the best news about a Prime firmware update would be the announcement of a full implementation of RPL, so that there will be full access to the stack within the programming again.

Best regards

Karl

And I'd like to see a unicorn. Sadly, here's not much chance of either happening.

Tom L
Cui bono?
06-02-2019, 03:52 PM (This post was last modified: 06-02-2019 03:58 PM by Wes Loewer.)
(06-02-2019 08:46 AM)Karl-Ludwig Butte Wrote:  In my opinion, the best news about a Prime firmware update would be the announcement of a full implementation of RPL, ...

That's not really feasible.

(06-02-2019 08:46 AM)Karl-Ludwig Butte Wrote:  so that there will be full access to the stack within the programming again.

Even partial access would be helpful. You can already access a fixed number of values off the RPN stack through the program arguments. What you cannot do so well is push more than one value back onto the stack. Best you can do is return a list. Seems like it shouldn't be too hard to push/pop values from a PPL program (says the man who has no idea how hard it would actually be).
06-02-2019, 05:02 PM
(06-02-2019 02:46 AM)yangyongkang Wrote:  Maple 2018 includes numerous cutting-edge updates in a variety of branches of mathematics.

Not germane to the subject of calculators, never mind the Prime.

Also I am not a fan of Maple's programming language. Even PPL is better. Smile
06-02-2019, 07:40 PM
(06-01-2019 09:46 PM)tcab Wrote:  Imagine if the major Python scientific, extended math and numeric libraries could be used with micropython - e.g. numpy, scipy - what amazing power that would give this calculator. However this post says those libraries will likely never be ported to micropython, and also that their size is prohibitive.

What kind of features of numpy or scipy would you like to see on the Prime that are not already there?
06-03-2019, 12:21 AM
(06-02-2019 07:40 PM)parisse Wrote:  What kind of features of numpy or scipy would you like to see on the Prime that are not already there?

Nothing in particular - I was actually commenting on MicroPython on the Graph 90+E Casio Calculator being rather limited without any proper Python numerical libraries.

The MicroPython on the Casio is just it’s own little world and has not been integrated with the features of the calculator, so you can’t e.g. call Casio numerical library functions from Python, so I’ve been told by someone in Casio Australia. You can’t even access the graphing of the Casio from MicroPython.
06-06-2019, 04:56 AM (This post was last modified: 06-06-2019 04:57 AM by parisse.)
You can run KhiCAS on the Casio and have most of the functionnalities of numpy/scipy with Python syntax, and a more convenient programming UI (syntax highlight, parenthese match, line wrapping, debugger ... I would really like to see the same on the Prime!). And of course CAS.
06-06-2019, 01:28 PM
(06-06-2019 04:56 AM)parisse Wrote:  You can run KhiCAS on the Casio and have most of the functionnalities of numpy/scipy with Python syntax, and a more convenient programming UI (syntax highlight, parenthese match, line wrapping, debugger ... I would really like to see the same on the Prime!). And of course CAS.

What would be the modifications to adapt the Python syntax engine of Xcas in hp-prime?
06-06-2019, 04:37 PM
It's not about syntax, but about the UI: the Prime UI does currently not support syntax highlighting or parentheses matching (and a few other things like a checkbox in the settings to select Python or PPL syntax, with consequences on array indices starting at 0 or 1).
It would also be nice to have CAS sessions saving, a new feature I have just introduced in KhiCAS: you can save a session, transfert it to a PC and open it with Xcas or Xcas for Firefox, and conversely. In Xcas for Firefox, you can easily share your session with other, in forums like here or in a private email.
On the Casio, I had to remove part of the Xcas commands because I have reached the addin max size, but on the Prime, we could have much better compatibility.
06-06-2019, 08:12 PM
(06-06-2019 04:37 PM)parisse Wrote:  It's not about syntax, but about the UI: the Prime UI does currently not support syntax highlighting or parentheses matching (and a few other things like a checkbox in the settings to select Python or PPL syntax, with consequences on array indices starting at 0 or 1).

I would be satisfied if the Prime just handled quote marks like every other sane text editor/calculator.
06-07-2019, 02:07 PM
Wish list (so far):

I would like see further integration with CAS in programming.

Hopefully the non-pixel version of ARC can now accept radius in coordinate length instead of requiring it in pixels.

File folders so we can organize our programs.
06-07-2019, 02:12 PM
Once the update does come out it will be interesting to come back here and compare these wish lists with the actual new features. Many of us will be a bit disappointed but, who knows. We might be pleasantly surprised in some areas. Of course I have no knowledge whatsoever of what's in store so even my prediction may be way off! Smile

Tom L
Cui bono?

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)