Is hpcalc.org dead?
12-16-2013, 08:49 PM
Is hpcalc.org dead?
I was wondering if Hpcalc.org as a program upload site was dead? Because it has been several months since I uploaded my HP Prime program there and nothing since October 5th has been approved yet. Also, from February to August absolutely no new program were approved in the archives, so it took half a year before my HP 39gII program finally gets there (even then, it's in the wrong category because Hpcalc.org lacks an HP 39gII category).

On ticalc.org, if you upload 15-20 programs, they get approved within a week (sometimes even a few hours) and on the new Hpmuseum forums, I think it's instant with no approval required.

I know that the Hpcalc commerce site is still maintained and that calcs are still being shipped out, but the program upload queue on the main site seems to slowly being abandoned. Sad
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-16-2013, 09:48 PM (This post was last modified: 12-16-2013 09:48 PM by Mark Hardman.)
RE: Is hpcalc.org dead?
Poor Eric. I picture him spending hours each day sticking hundreds of WP 34s overlay stickers on HP 30Bs. With no time left over for maintaining the program libraries.

Eric's web site has not been abandoned. The last update was in October of this year. As he has said in the past, he prefers to get a certain backlog of pending updates before posting them into their respective categories.

You do bring up a good point. There is no HP 39GII section. I'm sure Eric will provide. Please, just be patient.

Mark Hardman

Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Find all posts by this user
12-17-2013, 06:37 AM
I see. I guess I am just too used to the TI websites ways of processing file archive queues (usually done as soon as staff has the time or notice, even if there are very few file uploads) or sites where it's instant (no file approval required, although that can lead to problems). Tongue
12-17-2013, 04:57 PM
In the last 12 weeks, only 11 files have been submitted. I'll probably update the site soon. If you want more frequent updates to the site, submit more stuff! A good fraction of the files I add is stuff that I find while scouring discussion forums and elsewhere on the web, but there hasn't even been much of that lately, and I only have so much time to be looking for it anyway.

And it's just frustrating, because on the vast majority of submissions, the people uploading the files can't follow the simple directions on the page, making it a lot more difficult for me to add them. They pick the wrong category, pick the wrong calculator model, don't write an English description, upload an unusable screenshot, etc.

Regarding the 39gII, as best as I can tell, that calculator is dead. I have received a grand total of ONE submission for the 39gII (I assume that one is yours, Kevin). I can't justify making a whole new section just for one file.

Eric
12-17-2013, 05:17 PM
Hi Eric,
If you create a HPPtime section, feel free to add the files I submit in "HP Prime Software Library"
The 39GII files can go the same section since the language is basically the same.

Patrice
“Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.” Albert Einstein
Find all posts by this user
12-17-2013, 06:08 PM (This post was last modified: 12-17-2013 06:09 PM by Kevin Ouellet.)
(12-17-2013 04:57 PM)Eric Rechlin Wrote:  In the last 12 weeks, only 11 files have been submitted. I'll probably update the site soon. If you want more frequent updates to the site, submit more stuff! A good fraction of the files I add is stuff that I find while scouring discussion forums and elsewhere on the web, but there hasn't even been much of that lately, and I only have so much time to be looking for it anyway.

And it's just frustrating, because on the vast majority of submissions, the people uploading the files can't follow the simple directions on the page, making it a lot more difficult for me to add them. They pick the wrong category, pick the wrong calculator model, don't write an English description, upload an unusable screenshot, etc.

Regarding the 39gII, as best as I can tell, that calculator is dead. I have received a grand total of ONE submission for the 39gII (I assume that one is yours, Kevin). I can't justify making a whole new section just for one file.

Eric
Yeah about the 39gII entry it was mine (a Tunnel game). Due to lack of a 39gII/Prime category at the time I had to put it in the 39 category, even if the 39gII is vastly different. As mentionned above, though, since HP PPL is almost identical (although much less buggy) to the HP 39gII language and that the 39gII is basically the ancestor of the HP Prime, I guess HP Prime could be renamed to HP Prime & 39gII, and screenshots that are 256x127 start being allowed. I agree that this calc is pretty much dead, though. Besides that Tunnel game, only three math programs and four other games were made, one of which was never published online. It was initially aimed at China and then only came out in Europe. The 39gII never saw a North American release. Also, the November 2013 update doesn't even fix a single bug, unlike the December 2013 HP Prime update, which makes it clear that HP don't care anymore about the 39gII.

-Dream of Omnimaga
https://djomnimaga.music-2000.com

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)