I'm tired of all the gripes...
05-30-2019, 02:36 PM
RE: I'm tired of all the gripes...
(05-30-2019 01:30 AM)TheLastMillennial Wrote:  This brings me to the developers. I saw Tim's post
(04-12-2019 01:30 AM)Tim Wessman Wrote:  Am I allowed to gripe and moan and complain about the POS developers? Because seriously, they are some lazy bastards.

I'm not quite sure if he's joking or the devs really are that bad.

I would wager that Tim wrote/said that with tongue in cheek. He is one of the main developers. You can view a list of the folks involved with the development when you hit the Help key, followed by the "Tree" menu button. The second group is the list of developers.

Graph 3D | QPI | SolveSys
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-23-2019, 01:39 AM
rather thgan gripe i spent a couple of years developing an RPL/RPN app which like magic turns ther prime into a real RPL computer. See my post of today.

i cant e ern do simple calculations without an rpn stack. RPN mode on the prime is worthless (not a gripe, just the truth).
Anyhow, my simulator creates a true RPL RPN calculator. Try it. Its just an app.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

I work with android Prime only for now on my
Galaxy Tab Pro/Note 2
08-23-2019, 09:20 PM
My Dad was an engineer and he often used a tribal phrase, "The better is the enemy of the good." You can tinker endlessly with anything and oftentimes drive off the road into the bushes. At some point it must be made and everything is a complicated series of trade offs. You reach a peak of practical perfection and must stop there else you risk going off into the ozone. The HP Prime is a fine piece of work. I liked the 50G and still have one but, should we all sell our cars and buy horses to put the blacksmiths back to work? I would rather have it than not have it and more and more I use the Prime and keep the 50G for certain types of things.
07-23-2020, 09:48 PM
Quote:I liked the 50G and still have one but, should we all sell our cars and buy horses to put the blacksmiths back to work?

That's a good point.

Allegedly HP introduced RPN (and the stack) to reduce hardware resources, being that an Algebraic implementation was (again allegedly) more resource demanding. My first year at University (1990) was an HP 28S, then a 48SX mid 1990's, then a 48GX around 2003 finally a 50G, so I have no love for the Prime.

But times move on... I purchased a Prime (G1 V3) simply because it has a backlit screen, faster CPU and easy to use UI ))

Sometimes just got to move with the times!

HP-28S (1988 US model), DM41X (2020)
07-25-2020, 02:01 AM
(04-12-2019 01:27 PM)Marco Polo Wrote:  
(04-11-2019 07:40 PM)smp Wrote:  "My 48 whatever could do this..." "The 50 whatever could do that..." Well, the Prime is NOT a 48 whatever, or a 50 whatever. It is its own machine. If you like using your 48 or 50, terrific, go ahead and use it. Please do not gripe that the Prime is not like it.

Hi.
Despite my almost-30-years experience with HP calcs (mainly 48/50series) i am quite new to this forum.
I am in the group of people not satisfied by the Prime.
It's not a matter of feeling but i decided Prime is not for me (at the present stage of firmware development) after long playing with the emulator.
As a matter of fact Prime lacks one feature i heavily rely upon in my job: the unit of measure management and the ability to perform calculation and equation solving using units. This is enough for me to stick on 48/50 platform.
I think it is a consequence of the new operating paradigma (apps based) which makes the calculator more suitable for educational purpose or math exploration at the price of very reduced flexibility compared to 48/50 platform.

The reason i am dissatisfied of HP approach to high-end calculator is just the lack of care about engineers' needs in favour of teachers' and students'.
I can assure you that in my company (engineering company) almost all engineers use an HP calc (mostly 35s and 48 series), often coming from the university time.
Some uses old TIs (82, 83, 85), some cheap Casios.
None is using Prime or planning to buy one.....

You can call it "gripe" if you like, i just see it as lack or a professional calculator in HP product lineup.

Cheers
Marco Polo
Precisely for years the fans of the old HP were asking in this forum and in others out there to get an updated HP 50g, which would have improved it in hardware, with a color screen, better screen resolution, better processor and perhaps the rechargeable battery although it was not so necessary and voila !!! An HP 50g like this would have been great, simply with better hardware to adapt to modern times, but with the same flexibility as the original, with libraries, customizable menus, memory card, infrared, etc., etc.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)