printing/laser cutting services for overlays?
04-07-2019, 12:51 AM
printing/laser cutting services for overlays?
Has anyone used a printing/laser cutting service to create overlays?

It seems like the technology is available and there are online vendors but I haven't found one that fits the bill for creating "relatively" inexpensive overlays for the '41.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Best
Todd
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-07-2019, 01:56 AM
RE: printing/laser cutting services for overlays?
And for the 71b, please?
04-07-2019, 06:17 PM
RE: printing/laser cutting services for overlays?
Check this thread for a discussion of HP-41 overlays that are available from Michael Fehlhammer and the process he used to create them. He had been asked if he could also produce overlays for the HP-71/75, but low volume ruled out that possibility.

The process seems pretty involved, and he tried and ruled out laser cutting in favor of some form of cutting. Check the thread for details. Eric Rechlin uses a similar process I believe for the WP-34S adhesive overlays, available at hpcalc.org.

I've tried printing overlays on heavy photo paper stock and then cutting out the overlay using a Cricut Explore Air. From my experience with it though I wouldn't recommend this particular cutter due to its cumulative position error. I used this overlay generator to create my own for the 41.

The biggest problem I encountered was finding fonts small enough to fit on an overlay, complete with mathematical symbols, that would also come out reasonably sharp on an ink jet printer. Considering the DIY path with printer and cutter would cost in excess of $500, you may want to go the 80's retro route and just print & cut them out with an Xacto knife yourself Smile

~Mark

Remember kids, "In a democracy, you get the government you deserve."

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)