emu48 now for android-OS
04-15-2019, 08:17 PM
RE: emu48 now for android-OS
Hi ijabbott,

(04-15-2019 02:29 PM)ijabbott Wrote:  Emu48 for Android is very useful, but I have a couple of questions:

1. What is the legal status of the ROMs included in Emu48 for Android?
  2. Would there be much work involved in porting Emu42 to Android?

* What is the legal status of the ROMs included in Emu48 for Android?
For the legal status, I only read this in the Christoph Giesselink's web site (https://hp.giesselink.com/emu48faq.htm#ROM):
Quote:Q: Where can I download the ROM files for Emu48?
A: In general all HP-ROM files are copyrighted by Hewlett Packard. But since fall 2000 HP ACO allowed the use of the HP38, 39, 40, 48, 49 ROM's even if you're not an owner of this calculator type.
I hope that it is ok to embed those ROM files in the application.
If this is a concern, I can remove them. It will be a lot less convenient, but it is still possible to use KML files and ROM files from the Android filesystem (with the menu [Custom KML script...]).

* Would there be much work involved in porting Emu42 to Android?
At first look, I guess that it should be possible because thanks to Christoph, the code is very similar. I could try. I just have to replace the original source code and the KML/ROM files... OK, after trying, it misses so some Win32 function, but I definitely continue.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-15-2019, 08:42 PM
(04-15-2019 02:29 PM)ijabbott Wrote:  Hi Régis,

Emu48 for Android is very useful, but I have a couple of questions:

Thanks!

Hi Ian,

Don't bother with the legality of the rom, just enjoy emu48 for android

I would like to have emu71 too...it will be a dream come true...

Cheers
04-15-2019, 10:04 PM
(04-15-2019 08:17 PM)Regis Cosnier Wrote:  Hi ijabbott,

(04-15-2019 02:29 PM)ijabbott Wrote:  Emu48 for Android is very useful, but I have a couple of questions:

* What is the legal status of the ROMs included in Emu48 for Android?
For the legal status, I only read this in the Christoph Giesselink's web site (https://hp.giesselink.com/emu48faq.htm#ROM):
Quote:Q: Where can I download the ROM files for Emu48?
A: In general all HP-ROM files are copyrighted by Hewlett Packard. But since fall 2000 HP ACO allowed the use of the HP38, 39, 40, 48, 49 ROM's even if you're not an owner of this calculator type.
I hope that it is ok to embed those ROM files in the application.
If this is a concern, I can remove them. It will be a lot less convenient, but it is still possible to use KML files and ROM files from the Android filesystem (with the menu [Custom KML script...]).

* Would there be much work involved in porting Emu42 to Android?
At first look, I guess that it should be possible because thanks to Christoph, the code is very similar. I could try. I just have to replace the original source code and the KML/ROM files... OK, after trying, it misses so some Win32 function, but I definitely continue.
Hi Regis,
Thanks a lot, I would really appreciate emu42 on Android ! Smile I hope the formula input (with keystroke simulations) for 27S/17BIi will work, I miss those on go42 Smile

Regarding emu48, it works fine but the real time clock display on the 48SX looses synch with Android clock quite often... Anything that can be done ?

Thanks and cheers
04-16-2019, 02:35 PM
(04-15-2019 08:17 PM)Regis Cosnier Wrote:  * Would there be much work involved in porting Emu42 to Android?

That would be fantastic if you manage it, even if we have to supply our own ROM images!

— Ian Abbott
04-17-2019, 06:16 PM
(04-15-2019 12:53 PM)Regis Cosnier Wrote:  Hello,

This is my first post here in the forum, I'm Régis Cosnier, the author of this port to Android. I'm glad to see this app so well received.

Thanks a lot to Eric Rechlin for all the faceplates, ROMs, bug reports and his amazing web site,
and to Christoph Giesselink to have found the compatibility issue with the Windows version and above all, its fantastic Emu48 that I use almost every day.

Christoph can correct me if I'm wrong, but for the port 2 issue with HP49/50, the flash is written in the ROM file (i.e.: "rom.49g").

By default when you create a new HP49/50 with the embedded readonly file "rom.49g", everything that you store in port 2 is lost just because the file "rom.49g" is READONLY.
But it works exactly like with Windows. If you can write in the ROM file, it should save the content of port 2 in the ROM file with Android too.

To save the port 2 in the HP49/50 with Emu48 for Android (it works with version 1.3):
* copy "real50g-lc.kml", "real50g-lc.png", "keyb4950.kmi", "rom.49g" in a FOLDER of your Android device,
* in the menu:
** touch "New..." to create a new device
** or touch "Change KML Script..." to change the current KML script and ROM location
* select "[Custom KML script...]"
* select the FOLDER
* pick the calculator (which should be "Eric's Real 50g (Large Cropped)")!

And because, the file "FOLDER/rom.49g" is not readonly anymore, you can save your port 2.

I hope it help.

Regards,
Régis

Sadly this does not work. It is exactly the same behavior as with the builtin ROM and KML scripts.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-18-2019, 07:30 AM
(04-17-2019 06:16 PM)SammysHP Wrote:  Sadly this does not work. It is exactly the same behavior as with the builtin ROM and KML scripts.
Unfortunately i can confirm....
04-18-2019, 12:39 PM
(04-18-2019 07:30 AM)Marco Polo Wrote:  
(04-17-2019 06:16 PM)SammysHP Wrote:  Sadly this does not work. It is exactly the same behavior as with the builtin ROM and KML scripts.
Unfortunately i can confirm....

I'm able to use port 2 file created by original emu48 MKSHARED. Made on my windows pc and transferred to my phone. Am currently using port 2 with the android emulator with no issues. You have to point to the new port 2 file in android emu settings.
04-18-2019, 01:18 PM
A big thank you!
It works great on my Samsung S5 Neo with Android 5.1.1
My first HP calculator was a 28C, so I love this line of calculator. I always carry a 50g in my bag and have Emu48 on my desktop. So to have it on my mobile phone as well now is just brilliant!

04-18-2019, 01:52 PM
Missing the serial port, I have a "pocketPC" with emu48PPC and with a microcontroller + a USB to RS232 serial port converter it received and sent commands "text strings" to control a set of lights. On a hard drive that is stored for 8 years I have the video, I will upload it soon

PD: Emu42 updated to 1.22 https://hp.giesselink.com/emu42.htm
04-18-2019, 01:56 PM
(04-18-2019 12:39 PM)snrowe Wrote:  I'm able to use port 2 file created by original emu48 MKSHARED. Made on my windows pc and transferred to my phone. Am currently using port 2 with the android emulator with no issues. You have to point to the new port 2 file in android emu settings.
The "Port2 problem" happens only when simulating the 49/50 calculators, not 48's.
If i understand properly, Emu48 (both Windows and Android versions) emulates Port 2 memory in two different ways:
- 48 calcs: an external file is used to emulate Slot 2 ram cards (ports >= 2)
- 49/50: Port 2 memory is embedded in rom file, so any write request will modify it
05-02-2019, 01:23 PM
I love that emulator.
@ Eric, do you think it would be possible to have the lcd screen full width? I tried to modify the kml but i failed miserably ( and with zoom 3,resizing a non high def background with a non integer factor is not ideal). You can have a look at go 8gx as example. Outside frame layout on a smartphone is quite un necessary and the button menu are not aligned...
Thank you a lot (btw i also asked on the github issue page)
Regards
05-03-2019, 12:21 AM
(05-02-2019 01:23 PM)jpph Wrote:  @ Eric, do you think it would be possible to have the lcd screen full width? I tried to modify the kml but i failed miserably ( and with zoom 3,resizing a non high def background with a non integer factor is not ideal).

The problem is the aspect ratio varies by phone so there is no single ideal way of doing it. You can tell Emu48 to stretch it to fill the screen, which will hurt the aspect ratio slightly but will make it a little wider on many phones.

Also start with my 9x script (separate download on my website) instead of the 3x one that comes with Emu48 and it will scale better.

I could make a "narrow" version with a full-width LCD at some point, but because it would make the keyboard shorter (so less space between rows of keys) it hasn't been a priority. Maybe once I finish some other projects, unless there is more demand (only one person has said anything to me about the 9x one I already made!). On the large phones of today, the emulated screen is already almost as big as the actual calculator the way it is.
05-04-2019, 12:18 PM
Checked hpcalc and seems there is only hp50 skin in hires.
Yes, phone are huge now but if you have a look at go48g, it looks better (button menu are aligned) and no simulated bezel looks better inside the phone bezel, it really looks like you have a calculator in hand...
But i understand that would look ugly on emu48 for pc so no big deal if you do not do it..
05-04-2019, 04:06 PM
The embedded script "HP 50g (Calypso 2K)" has a zoom set to 9x for the LCD and it seems to work quite well (depending of the speed of your device). A zoom of 18x ("HP 50g (Calypso 4K)") slows down a lot the calculator and may make the device out of memory.

For the port 2 issue with the HP49/50, it works for me with different real Android devices (7.1 / 9.0), and seems to work with Android 4.4 and 5.0 in an emulator. But actually, there is a small bug. It is saved only when you explicitly "Close" (or switch) the state file in the menu. I will try to do something about it in the future but actually the difficulty is that under Android we never know when we quit the application (we know only when we pause the app).

I port Emu42 too!!
Here the APK (http://regis.cosnier.free.fr/soft/androi...v1.4a1.apk). But the difference with Emu48 for Android is that there is no ROM and no KML scripts. You can uncompress the following file "Emu42-Faceplates-without-ROM.zip" (http://regis.cosnier.free.fr/soft/androi...ut-ROM.zip) in your Android folder, add your ROM (because of HP copyright): HP14B.ROM, HP17B.ROM, HP17BII.ROM, HP19BII.ROM, HP27S.ROM, HP28S.ROM, HP32SII.ROM, HP42S.ROM.
And then, when creating a new calc "New...", you must first select the folder with the KML scripts and ROMs.
It is not yet available in the PlayStore because I only test the HP42S and HP28S with the ROM that I found in internet. I do not find the others ROMs.
05-05-2019, 09:26 AM
(05-04-2019 04:06 PM)Regis Cosnier Wrote:  I port Emu42 too!!
Here the APK (http://regis.cosnier.free.fr/soft/androi...v1.4a1.apk). But the difference with Emu48 for Android is that there is no ROM and no KML scripts. You can uncompress the following file "Emu42-Faceplates-without-ROM.zip" (http://regis.cosnier.free.fr/soft/androi...ut-ROM.zip) in your Android folder, add your ROM (because of HP copyright): HP14B.ROM, HP17B.ROM, HP17BII.ROM, HP19BII.ROM, HP27S.ROM, HP28S.ROM, HP32SII.ROM, HP42S.ROM.
And then, when creating a new calc "New...", you must first select the folder with the KML scripts and ROMs.
It is not yet available in the PlayStore because I only test the HP42S and HP28S with the ROM that I found in internet. I do not find the others ROMs.

Excellent news! I look forward to trying it out. This post may be of interest:
https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-11...#pid104802

— Ian Abbott
05-05-2019, 01:44 PM
Thanks a lot Regis !
I tested it with all ROMs and KMLs (I used Eric's ones at hpcalc.org for 32SII, 14B and 19BII). It generally works, but I could identify the following problems:
1/Sometimes loading a kml would systematically fail, with an error on loading the .kmi file. I first thought it was a case sensitivity problem in the filename, but this didn't help. But exiting the app and relaunching it made it work. Very strange.
2/Sometimes when you try to load a kml, the current one has the LCD color go blue, or even the characters reversed, like a mirror. Very strange as well.
3/The 32SII and 14B scripts, which work fine on PC, do not work properly. The annunciators are sticky, you never know whether the next key is going to be shifted or not..
4/Generally speaking the KMLs and skins would need adaptation for Android. The 28S and 19BII are not usable on a phone, too small. Would need to be broken in 2 parts with toggling, like go28s does. Not sure it is possible with KMLs. Even the other calcs have a lot of wasted space, the keys are small.
5/It does not seem that macros are implemented ? Would be terrific to import 17/27/19 formulas !

Thanks again and cheers
05-05-2019, 04:44 PM (This post was last modified: 05-05-2019 04:44 PM by Massimo Gnerucci.)
(05-05-2019 01:44 PM)Vincent Weber Wrote:  4/Generally speaking the KMLs and skins would need adaptation for Android. The 28S and 19BII are not usable on a phone, too small. Would need to be broken in 2 parts with toggling, like go28s does. Not sure it is possible with KMLs. Even the other calcs have a lot of wasted space, the keys are small.

They should be a perfect fit for this (or lookalikes)

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
05-05-2019, 05:18 PM (This post was last modified: 05-05-2019 05:20 PM by Jlouis.)
Really thanks for port EMU42 to Android!

But I have to report that I can't turn the calculators on (I have the roms).

The ROMs are being loaded normally.

I'm using Android 7.

I don't know if it is a bug or me!

Thanks again.

Cheers

JL
05-05-2019, 05:19 PM
(05-05-2019 09:26 AM)ijabbott Wrote:  ...

Excellent news! I look forward to trying it out. This post may be of interest:
https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-11...#pid104802

Oh thank you. It makes my day. It's so funny :-D
And I managed to make it works! Thanks Christoph.

(05-05-2019 01:44 PM)Vincent Weber Wrote:  Thanks a lot Regis !
I tested it with all ROMs and KMLs (I used Eric's ones at hpcalc.org for 32SII, 14B and 19BII). It generally works, but I could identify the following problems:
1/Sometimes loading a kml would systematically fail, with an error on loading the .kmi file. I first thought it was a case sensitivity problem in the filename, but this didn't help. But exiting the app and relaunching it made it work. Very strange.
2/Sometimes when you try to load a kml, the current one has the LCD color go blue, or even the characters reversed, like a mirror. Very strange as well.
3/The 32SII and 14B scripts, which work fine on PC, do not work properly. The annunciators are sticky, you never know whether the next key is going to be shifted or not..
4/Generally speaking the KMLs and skins would need adaptation for Android. The 28S and 19BII are not usable on a phone, too small. Would need to be broken in 2 parts with toggling, like go28s does. Not sure it is possible with KMLs. Even the other calcs have a lot of wasted space, the keys are small.
5/It does not seem that macros are implemented ? Would be terrific to import 17/27/19 formulas !

Thanks again and cheers

Thank you very much for the report.
I was already trying to fix the 32SII and 14B graphic issues when I saw your post. It is because the display function is different and uses a still unimplemented win32 function.
I will try to address all those issues 1), 2) and 3).
4) For now, I think I could add a landscape mode, but I may add a simple horizontal swipe when in portrait mode. There is the same issue with Emu71!
5) The macros are not implemented yet. If I implement it, it will be available for Emu48, Emu42 and Emu71 (for Android)!

The source code for Emu42 for Android is available here: https://github.com/dgis/emu42android

I just tried to port Emu71 without the ports (RAM/ROM/HPIL) and it reveals some new timers problems in my win32 layer (not yet on Github)!
05-05-2019, 05:30 PM
Thanks a lot Regis for this !
Indeed horizontal swipe could be the way Smile

Btw, some time ago I reported to you a clock sync issue on the 48SX for emu48, anything that could be done ?

Thanks and cheers

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)