HP97 The journey begins
11-27-2019, 06:02 AM (This post was last modified: 11-27-2019 08:20 AM by teenix.)
RE: HP97 The journey begins
Hi all,

I've added a new feature to the HP67 CPU module, from an idea from Pauli, that featured in an old issue of HP65 notes.

The idea was to program the cards to show Non Normal Numbers on the calculator display which would be useful for "on screen" messages for programs and games.

I've enabled the code in the HP emulator to test the theory of this and it seems to work ok. (Haven't uploaded it yet)

These are the characters that can be displayed in any order up to 11 characters per display.

0 E c r
1 F d s
2 G f t
3 H g u
4 I h y
5 J i =
6 L j ?
7 O l _
8 P n -
9 S o [spc]
A U p
C b q

I created a small editor where you can type in up to 50 messages which can be accessed by the 67 when a program is running.

To make this work, I used one of the non useable program codes to signal the 67 to display a message when it executes.

To enable a message when programming, you first need to key in the message number which has to be in reverse. Eg Message #2 is entered as [2] [0], #39 as [9][3]. This is because the calculator will normalize [0][2] to just [2] in the C Register and the leading zero is lost.

After the message number has been entered, key in [h] [A]. This is an unused program key combination but if executed normally will do a GSB A.

However, this now executes as a "Message Execute" program token.
If this program entry is viewed on screen it will be displayed as 35 11 which is [h] [A].

Pretty Cool :-)

When the program runs and it encounters this token, the value is substituted with R/S and stops the program. When the program has stopped and all the internal "stuff" is done by the HP microcode, the message will be displayed. None of the HP Microcode was changed, it is still original.

An example is using the text editor to create "HELLO HP67" as Message #00.

The program key sequence to display this message is

[0]
[0]
[h][A]

The result is shown from the attached emulator 67 image.

Now that it works for the emulator, I will include it for the new 67 CPU module.

Edit: New emulator download available from teenix.org

cheers

Tony

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-27-2019, 07:19 AM
This made my day thanks!

Pauli
11-30-2019, 08:11 AM
Hi all,

As well as the emulator, the new HP67 CPU board is able to process the display messages now. As I mentioned the HP-67 microcode has not been altered to make this work. The emulator is simply asking the microcode to accept and process the 2 new merged key codes.

There are two modes of operation selected during programming.

[h][A] displays a message and stops program execution
[h][B] displays a message and pauses the program then continues

The messages can be edited from the emulator program and another program I created for the new CPU boards. This latter one can also upload the message database to the new CPU board.

Here is a small video presentation of the 67 running from the new CPU board. I loaded a program stored in its memory at Block [0] Program[00]. This program card displays a series of messages then stops.

http://www.teenix.org/test67.mp4

cheers

Tony
11-30-2019, 12:12 PM
(11-30-2019 08:11 AM)teenix Wrote:  Hi all,

As well as the emulator, the new HP67 CPU board is able to process the display messages now. As I mentioned the HP-67 microcode has not been altered to make this work. The emulator is simply asking the microcode to accept and process the 2 new merged key codes.

There are two modes of operation selected during programming.

[h][A] displays a message and stops program execution
[h][B] displays a message and pauses the program then continues

The messages can be edited from the emulator program and another program I created for the new CPU boards. This latter one can also upload the message database to the new CPU board.

Here is a small video presentation of the 67 running from the new CPU board. I loaded a program stored in its memory at Block [0] Program[00]. This card displays a series of messages then stops.

http://www.teenix.org/test67.mp4

cheers

Tony

Hi Tony,

Can you make that program available as a memory card download?
From what I understand it should be possible to do this on an original 67 as well, but how would one go about that without the two new key codes?
Would it be possible to generate the messages with your emulator and then write them to a magnetic card and transfer to an original 67?

Probably all silly questions, but I haven't looked into this yet...

Cheers,
Harald
11-30-2019, 01:22 PM
(11-30-2019 12:12 PM)Harald Wrote:  Hi Tony,

Can you make that program available as a memory card download?
From what I understand it should be possible to do this on an original 67 as well, but how would one go about that without the two new key codes?
Would it be possible to generate the messages with your emulator and then write them to a magnetic card and transfer to an original 67?

Probably all silly questions, but I haven't looked into this yet...

Cheers,
Harald

Hi Harald,

The new merged key codes are written to or read from the card just as any other data would be.

This is an example of a subroutine that will display the message stored in index position 00. The message will display, while a PAUSE is executed, then the program continues.

f LBL A
[h] [B] // merged key code for a Pause Msg
RTN

if "HELLO" is message #00, then "HELLO" will be displayed during the PAUSE.

These codes tell the new CPU to jump to a subroutine that processes the messages. This does not exist in the original CPU and I expect the new codes execute similar to a NOP. I will test that in next day or so, but that's what happens in the emulator when these codes are disabled.

In the original CPU, pressing [h] [A] for example, does an f GSB A and the PRGM mode display will show 31 22 11. The new CPU will show 31 11.

You have to bear in mind however, the stack is raised in the original and new CPU's when the message index is entered as it ends up in the X register.

cheers

Tony
11-30-2019, 11:01 PM
Saving messages to the card reader would be an amazing addition. It might be going a step too far.

Pauli
12-01-2019, 12:01 AM
(11-30-2019 11:01 PM)Paul Dale Wrote:  Saving messages to the card reader would be an amazing addition. It might be going a step too far.

Pauli

Now that I have control of the card reader, I guess anything is possible :-)

cheers

Tony
12-02-2019, 08:32 AM
(11-30-2019 01:22 PM)teenix Wrote:  These codes tell the new CPU to jump to a subroutine that processes the messages. This does not exist in the original CPU and I expect the new codes execute similar to a NOP. I will test that in next day or so, but that's what happens in the emulator when these codes are disabled.

I added an option to turn the message function on or off so that the CPU can function as a normal 67 if required. Running a program with messaging turned off still works, and as expected does nothing when those codes are executed.

The final messages count that can be stored for use ended up being 100.

cheers

Tony
12-04-2019, 08:35 AM (This post was last modified: 12-04-2019 08:36 AM by teenix.)
Hi all,

A pair of beauties :-)

Both the 67 and 65 seem fine. A little bit more testing and I hope they will be ok.

cheers

Tony

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

12-04-2019, 08:42 AM
Speachless !!!
Excellent work !!

Edoardo & Alberto
12-04-2019, 07:36 PM
Tony, you are a genius! If you deny then let's say at least you are a geenix.

Bernhard

That's one small step for a man - one giant leap for mankind.
12-05-2019, 12:13 AM
(12-04-2019 07:36 PM)PANAMATIK Wrote:  Tony, you are a genius! If you deny then let's say at least you are a geenix.

Bernhard

I got an "illuminating" and smelly reminder yesterday about not placing tantalum capacitors in reverse then applying power :-)

cheers

Tony
12-05-2019, 06:54 AM
(12-05-2019 12:13 AM)teenix Wrote:  
(12-04-2019 07:36 PM)PANAMATIK Wrote:  Tony, you are a genius! If you deny then let's say at least you are a geenix.

Bernhard

I got an "illuminating" and smelly reminder yesterday about not placing tantalum capacitors in reverse then applying power :-)

cheers

Tony

And this is, exactly, the genius' "touch"! ;)

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-05-2019, 07:08 AM
You let the magic smoke out....
12-05-2019, 03:13 PM
(12-05-2019 07:08 AM)Paul Dale Wrote:  You let the magic smoke out....

I like the concept of magic smoke Smile
12-07-2019, 05:49 AM (This post was last modified: 12-07-2019 05:51 AM by teenix.)
Hi all,

I have now added the notes function to the HP-65 in the emulator and to the replacement CPU board.

There were 2 spare program codes available so I used these to use the merged key codes [g] [A] and [g] [B] to display notes on screen.

[g][A] will show a message then halt the program.
[g][B] will show a message, pause, then continue the program.

In PRGM mode the display will show 35 11 and 35 12 for the new codes.

As with the HP-67, the HP-65 microcode has not been altered in any way, and the function can be turned off if desired.

I'll add it to the HP-97 emulator when I get time.

cheers

Tony
12-09-2019, 03:35 AM (This post was last modified: 12-09-2019 03:36 AM by teenix.)
Hi all,

I have put some details on the HP-67 replacement CPU board on my web page. The HP-65 one coming soon.

http://www.teenix.org/

cheers

Tony
12-19-2019, 12:14 PM
Hi all,

I updated the HP97 emulator. It can now process and display notes from a running program the same as the 65 and 67.

As all keys are used, I had to double the [f] key to get it working.

Display note and stop program
[f] [f] [A] - PRGM Mode display = 16 16 11

Display note and pause program
[f] [f] [B] - PRGM Mode display = 16 16 12

As with the other calculators, the 97 microcode has not been changed.
The 67 and 97 programs are still interchangeable.

The 97 print character ROM does not have the codes for the notes character set so it wont print the notes, just the default response for the 2 unused program codes that were used.

cheers

Tony
12-24-2019, 11:31 PM (This post was last modified: 12-25-2019 02:06 AM by twoweims.)
I got a package from teenix-claus today! Smile

[attachment=7957]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-25-2019, 09:49 PM
(12-24-2019 11:31 PM)twoweims Wrote:  I got a package from teenix-claus today! Smile

Good news, I didn't think it would arrive so soon at this time of year.

Happy calculating :-)

cheers

Tony

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)