HP 41CX math and X memory problems
11-24-2018, 09:32 PM (This post was last modified: 11-24-2018 09:42 PM by Jlouis.)
HP 41CX math and X memory problems
Hi all,

I have a 41CX with math, IR printer, Advantage and X memory modules.

The prolems are the the calculator do no find the math and X memory modules.

In cat 2, it does not show these both modules.

In cat 4, there's a DIR EMPTY message.

The math module is ok in my CV. I can not test the X memory due I don't have the X functions module.

When I press Prgm, there are 218 REG, after a reset in the calculator.

I have tried different positions, with and without others modules.

Am I missing something here or I have a defective calculator or X memory module?

Edit: I don't know if it mathers, but the CX is a halfnut one.

Any enlightenment is highly appreciated.

TIA

JL
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-24-2018, 10:01 PM
RE: HP 41CX math and X memory problems
(11-24-2018 09:32 PM)Jlouis Wrote:  Hi all,

I have a 41CX with math, IR printer, Advantage and X memory modules.

The prolems are the the calculator do no find the math and X memory modules.

In cat 2, it does not show these both modules.

In cat 4, there's a DIR EMPTY message.

The math module is ok in my CV. I can not test the X memory due I don't have the X functions module.

When I press Prgm, there are 218 REG, after a reset in the calculator.

I have tried different positions, with and without others modules.

The X-Memory module is never seen in CAT 2. An X-mem module simply adds more extended RAM for the built-in Extended Functions to manage (the CX has the Ext Functions/Memory module built-in).

CAT-4 returns the amount of X-Memory available to the X register. Try this with and then without the X-Mem module inserted and you should see different results. If they are the same then either the module or the slot you are using is bad. Try other slots.

If the Math ROM is not seen in any of the slots, the module is probably bad. The fact that the printer and Adv ROM work confirms those slots are good - try rotating ports and see if there is a pattern.

For both modules, if they have been sitting for a long period, especially not inside a 41C, it's possible oxidation has built-up on the contacts, just like any other device. Try CAREFULLY cleaning the contacts with DeOxit RED (I use Qtips with much of the cotton pulled-off before starting).

It's also possible the 'bad' ports inside need to be cleaned, but do so carefully here as well - the blade you push the module onto is sturdy, but the leads on the folded connector sheet can be torn if they are badly oxidizing.

--Bob Prosperi
11-24-2018, 10:44 PM
(11-24-2018 10:01 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  The X-Memory module is never seen in CAT 2. An X-mem module simply adds more extended RAM for the built-in Extended Functions to manage (the CX has the Ext Functions/Memory module built-in).

CAT-4 returns the amount of X-Memory available to the X register. Try this with and then without the X-Mem module inserted and you should see different results. If they are the same then either the module or the slot you are using is bad. Try other slots.

If the Math ROM is not seen in any of the slots, the module is probably bad. The fact that the printer and Adv ROM work confirms those slots are good - try rotating ports and see if there is a pattern.

For both modules, if they have been sitting for a long period, especially not inside a 41C, it's possible oxidation has built-up on the contacts, just like any other device. Try CAREFULLY cleaning the contacts with DeOxit RED (I use Qtips with much of the cotton pulled-off before starting).

It's also possible the 'bad' ports inside need to be cleaned, but do so carefully here as well - the blade you push the module onto is sturdy, but the leads on the folded connector sheet can be torn if they are badly oxidizing.

Thanks for the reply Bob.

The X memory is working good, I did further read in the manual showed that we need to press the arrow key for the available x memory.

As for the math module, I will do the cleaning you suggested.

This is only for curiosity, as I have the marh/stat Pac and really don't need another math.

Thanks again.

Cheers

JL
11-25-2018, 01:27 AM
(11-24-2018 10:44 PM)Jlouis Wrote:  This is only for curiosity, as I have the marh/stat Pac and really don't need another math.

HP initially released the two modules separately
00041-15002 Statistics Pac (4K FOCAL module using plug-in-port lower page)
00041-15003 Mathematics Pac (4K FOCAL module using plug-in-port lower page)
then later on they re-released it as a combined module
00041-15049 Math/Stat Pac (4K FOCAL Math module using plug-in-port lower page and 4K FOCAL Stat module using plug-in-port upper page)
11-25-2018, 02:56 AM
(11-25-2018 01:27 AM)Sylvain Cote Wrote:  
(11-24-2018 10:44 PM)Jlouis Wrote:  This is only for curiosity, as I have the marh/stat Pac and really don't need another math.

HP initially released the two modules separately
00041-15002 Statistics Pac (4K FOCAL module using plug-in-port lower page)
00041-15003 Mathematics Pac (4K FOCAL module using plug-in-port lower page)
then later on they re-released it as a combined module
00041-15049 Math/Stat Pac (4K FOCAL Math module using plug-in-port lower page and 4K FOCAL Stat module using plug-in-port upper page)

Thanks Sylvain,

I noticed that the Math/Stat came with both manuals separetely, so I understood they are the same combined and you confirmed that.

Now I have to say, I'm in love with my 41CX! My 15C is already jealous Smile Smile
11-25-2018, 07:48 AM
(11-24-2018 10:44 PM)Jlouis Wrote:  I did further read in the manual showed that we need to press the arrow key for the available x memory.

or you can do EMROOM

http://WilsonMinesCo.com (Lots of HP-41 links at the bottom of the links page, http://wilsonminesco.com/links.html )
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-25-2018, 08:43 PM
(11-25-2018 02:56 AM)Jlouis Wrote:  Now I have to say, I'm in love with my 41CX! My 15C is already jealous :) :)

You finally saw the light! Enjoy. ;)

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)